Author Topic: Don't Go, Mama  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Mjfcentral

Don't Go, Mama
« on: November 23, 2015, 05:58:43 PM »
FADE IN:

INT. MRS.BROWN’S BEDROOM - NIGHT

The radio atop the dresser plays upbeat motown music. MRS.BROWN hums along with it as she applies her makeup with careful brush strokes. The mirror in front of her reflects a beautiful 36-year-old black woman. She dons a purple velvet dress along with a matching hat and sleek high heels. She pauses, looks at her reflection, and giggles.

MRS.BROWN
(to herself)
He ain’t gonna be able to keep his paws off me tonight!

She dabs her brush into her compact of blush and continues to apply makeup.

CUT TO:

INT. DESHAWN’S BEDROOM - NIGHT

DESHAWN, a thin black boy, 14, lays on his unmade bed, dressed in a stained white t-shirt and black basketball shorts. He gets up and looks into the mirror.

DESHAWN
(to himself)
Do any of my friends’ mamas do this, too?

DESHAWN looks down and shuffles his feet. He looks up into the mirror with moist, red eyes.

DESHAWN (CONT'D)
(to himself)
Does dad even have a clue ‘bout this?
DESHAWN lays back on his bed and stares at the ceiling. MRS. BROWN opens the door to DESHAWN’S bedroom, and pokes her head inside.

MRS.BROWN
DeShawn? I’m gonna get going now—you need something before I go?

DESHAWN keeps his eyes focused on the ceiling, and shakes his head.

MRS.BROWN (CONT'D)
There’s leftovers in the fridge for when you get hungry. Be sure to do your homework when I’m gone, ok? Bye, sweetie.

MRS.BROWN softly closes the door, and the sound of her heels clicking grows fainter with each step.

CUT TO:

INT. LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

MRS.BROWN approaches the front door, and her hand extends toward the door handle. DESHAWN enters the living room as she grasps the handle.

DESHAWN
Mama… please don’t go. Please don’t go see that other man.

MRS.BROWN pauses, holds the door handle for a few seconds, and lets go of it. She turns to face DESHAWN.

MRS.BROWN
DeShawn, what are you talking about? I’m just gonna run some errands. I ain’t gonna see no man.

DESHAWN
Is that why you’re all dressed up? Just to go run errands?

MRS.BROWN quickly snatches her coat flap and pulls it over herself. DESHAWN stands still in front of her.

MRS.BROWN
Is it bad to look nice whenever I go out?

DESHAWN puts his hands in his pockets and looks down to his feet. MRS.BROWN looks down at her watch.

MRS.BROWN (CONT'D)
Look, DeShawn, I really gotta get going—

DESHAWN
(interrupting, yelling)
Why you gotta do this to dad?! What he ever do to you?!

MRS.BROWN
DeShawn, please. Don’t do this to me—

DESHAWN
(interrupting, yelling)
You just a cheater! You ain’t
even love dad no—

MRS.BROWN slaps DESHAWN across the face, and glares at him with piercing anger. DESHAWN places his hand upon his tender cheek, and looks at his mom with disbelief. A tear rolls down MRS.BROWN’S face.

MRS.BROWN
(voice breaking)
You don’t know how hard this is for me! Your father ain’t even around no more! I need a man to be here for me, DeShawn!

DESHAWN
He drivin’ trucks all the time so we don’t end up in the streets! You think he likes bein’ away all the time?! He only doin’ this so we can have a better life than he did!

MRS.BROWN
(voice breaking)
I know, DeShawn! I know! You ain’t gotta tell me!

MRS.BROWN falls to her knees, and puts her face into her hands. She breathes heavily in between her wails. DESHAWN kneels to her level, and places his hand upon her back. He caresses as she cries.

DESHAWN
Just don’t see him no more, mama. That’s all you gotta do.

MRS.BROWN
I can’t, DeShawn! I don’t even love your father anymore! I love him now!
A car’s headlights illuminate the living room as it drives up into the driveway—it makes two quick honks. MRS.BROWN wipes her tears, gets up, and looks out the window.

MRS.BROWN
(coldly)
I’ll be goin’ now, DeShawn!

She marches toward the front door, and whips it open.

DESHAWN
(yelling)
Fine! Then I’m leaving too!

MRS.BROWN pauses, and snaps her head toward DESHAWN.

MRS.BROWN
(through clenched teeth)
What you say, child?

DESHAWN bolts toward the front door. He pushes MRS.BROWN out of the way, and runs into the dark night.

MRS.BROWN (CONT’D)
(yelling)
DeShawn! Come back! Deshawn!

CUT TO:

EXT. THE BROWN RESIDENCE - NIGHT

MRS.BROWN runs after DESHAWN. As she runs across the lawn, her heel plants into the dirt and she falls. She gets up upon her elbows, and she watches DESHAWN through her tears as he disappears into the dark alley.

FADE TO BLACK

THE END

Offline Laura H

Re: Don't Go, Mama
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 07:14:10 PM »
Hi,

Please take a moment to post on the Welcome Board so we can greet you properly and share the forum guidelines.

http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?board=1.0

Thanks and welcome.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline PencilPop

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 09:33:51 PM »
Very interesting, and I am left wanting more.

-PencilPop

Offline P_Sherlock70

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 06:52:18 PM »
I would love to read more of this! The flow of the scene is very well done, keep up the great work

Offline teachmind111

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 01:23:51 AM »
this is the first one i have read and with the first two lines i already knew it was going to be good as i say without reading the rest of it.
or
could it be that all start or even written in that way to be a script?

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 02:22:03 PM »
this is the first one i have read and with the first two lines i already knew it was going to be good as i say without reading the rest of it.
or
could it be that all start or even written in that way to be a script?

To learn more about writing scripts, please click this link and read:
http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=39962.0
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi