Author Topic: Voting is over for Short Story Challenge #33  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
Voting is over for Short Story Challenge #33
« on: February 12, 2016, 12:43:42 PM »
Voting is now closed. Congratulation to the winner and to all those who took part in both submitting stories and those who took the time to vote.

The winner is . . .  

*   *   *   Heidi   *   *   *

Good Riddance

Poor thing, Melissa thought, as she stepped over it on her way to the mailbox. It was curled on her doormat - a casualty of a spring day that had started out sunny and warm then suddenly turned freezing.

Returning, she pulled her sweater close and pondered the little bee. She didn’t like bugs and normally tried to get them out of the house, not invite them in. Besides, for all she knew, it was already dead. But she used her mail and scooped it up.

She set it on the counter and bustled about making tea and fixing herself a scone with a little honey. She put the mail on her tray when she carried everything into the next room. Soon she was settled into her chair by the fire and lost in her book.

Absentmindedly bringing pieces of scone to her mouth, she was startled when one of them was ridden by the bee. Her first impulse was to fling it away, but something stayed her hand. She had never seen a bee this close. Suddenly the bee turned its head and its compound eyes stared straight into hers. It tilted its head, like a dog. It was cute, in a buggy sort of way. You saved my life. Melissa heard it clearly, as if the bee had spoken.

Eventually the little bee, who had been a queen all along, built a nest and populated the garden with more and more bees, all replicas of herself. After that, no matter where Melissa went, a little bee or two always accompanied her.

“Look at the size of that thing,” her neighbor yelled over the border hedge one day “you’d better call an exterminator, or I’m coming over there and get rid of them myself.”

Manny was a bully and she usually tried to avoid him but this time Melissa felt the courage to speak up. “You’ll leave my bees alone. Mind your own business.”

Manny grew red faced, scowled and balled his hands into fists. “You going to make me? I’ll come over there right now.” He parted the hedge, breaking branches as he squeezed his towering bulk into her garden. Pushing up his sleeves exposed beefy arms covered in tattoos as he came towards her. “You want to repeat that Missy? I’ll show you what’s what.”

Melissa backed away, cowering. He raised his fist to strike her, and the bees came. They streamed in from what seemed like everywhere all at once. The air around her and Manny grew dark and the buzzing drowned out every other sound. Manny screamed repeatedly and ran with arms flailing, crashing clumsily back through the hedge, leaving a large gap in his wake.

The bees stopped at the boundary of their two properties, buzzing angrily. Melissa, hands on hips, yelled after him. “And don’t come back or we’ll show you what’s what.”

The next day a very large For Sale sign sprouted on Manny’s lawn.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:23:10 PM by fire-fly »
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Simple Things

Re: Sticky: Voting is over for Short Story Challenge #33
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 02:04:08 PM »
:) I knew that was yours.

Well written and imagined, Heidi. The story got my vote.

Offline Laura H

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 03:03:37 PM »
Woo-hoo, Heidi! Way to go!  :D
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline heidi52

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 03:51:59 PM »
Thank you all. There were some great stories, anyone else want to take a bow?

Would love to know who wrote the one about Dubai. That one got my vote.  ;D

New competition will be up in a few.

Artemis Quark

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 01:33:44 PM »
Great story, Heidi. Congrats. Bee happy!  ::) 🐝

AQ

Offline heidi52