Author Topic: Re-introduction and apology for my lengthy absence  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Amanda George

• Currently editing all my manuscripts!
    • Stories 4 Children
Re-introduction and apology for my lengthy absence
« on: January 29, 2016, 12:45:44 PM »
I've just (last week) got a new laptop so wanted to come back to MWC now that I've got a well-behaved machine!

I'm still looking for an agent but I've vanity published a NaNo novel now and am so regretting spending literally thousands of pounds that I really couldn't afford for them to not do the things I paid for and having the cheek to ask for payment again!   :o

I'm still living in Gloucester, I'm still married and we're still owned by our rescue pup!  I wrote a novel with her in mind that is still very much in first draft and only one other person has got a copy of the first draft so far!

I want to plan out my 2016 NaNo novel but haven't got a clue about the theme or anything else yet!   ::)  I've also been told that what I was thinking was YA is actually MG too which was a huge surprise!

OK, shutting up now!  lol

Amanda
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline thatollie

Re: Re-introduction and apology for my lengthy absence
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 12:46:57 PM »
Welcome back.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 12:51:32 PM »
Thank you, Sprocket!
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
Welcome back Amanda.

Sorry your first time out was a bad experience.

Remember the saying that is oft repeated around here, the money should always flow toward the writer, not away from the writer.

And I'll add, no matter how long it takes to do the research, check out any agent or publisher well, dig as deep as needed to learn if they are trustworthy or not before you sign anything.

MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Artemis Quark

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
Welcome back, Amanda.

AQ

Offline Simple Things

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 01:49:18 PM »
Welcome back, Amanda. Well done on finishing a novel and preparing for another.

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 01:57:47 PM »
Thank you Alice... the idiot who took all my money is now no longer at the publishers but I wish they'd stop trying to get more money out of me when I've already wasted several thousand for nothing!  I was told that my novel would be earning thousands a year... it's earnt me pennies over £12 in the last 2.5 years.  Never again... I've learnt my lesson the hard way now!  Just need to keep on keeping on   ;)  2016 will be my year of not spending any more money until I've got a trustworthy agent and publisher now!   :)  The only money I'm willing to pay for from now on is my membership to SCBWI once a year and anything it costs for the research for my MS's   ;D

Thank you AQ!

ST, thank you and I just need to finish off my Toni trilogy this year, plan out my next NaNo novel and edit all my manuscripts this year... nothing like setting your sights high eh?  lol

Offline midnight candle

• just checking in
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 02:34:54 PM »
Welcome back to MWC Amanda. Sorry your publishing was a bad deal. Good to hear you're still in Gloucester - me too. Glad you came back.  8)

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 02:40:50 PM »
Welcome back to MWC Amanda. Sorry your publishing was a bad deal. Good to hear you're still in Gloucester - me too. Glad you came back.  8)

Thank you MC... where about's in Gloucester are you?  Not your address or whatever, just somewhere I might recognise?  I'm behind the hospital   ;D

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 05:18:28 PM »
Onwards and upwards :-*

Offline Laura H

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 06:15:38 PM »
I remember you, Amanda! I may have been known as Comeonpowerball when you were last here.

Good to see you again.  :)
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 04:09:12 AM »
Thank you Mastafrank and Laura!

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 04:33:04 AM »
Hi Amanda  ;D
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 04:41:24 AM »
Hello Fire-fly!

Offline heidi52

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 06:51:28 AM »
Welcome back and thank you for the cautionary tale of bad publishers. Sorry that happened to you, but glad to see you still have writing plans. Ambitious but do-able I'm sure.