Author Topic: How did you start as a writer?  (Read 14362 times)

Offline coggro

Re: How did you start as a writer?
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2008, 03:24:09 PM »
In 8th grade, I so thoroughly failed English that about halfway through the year, they told me I was going to have to repeat the class, which would more than likely result in repeating the year because of the way my school system worked. My teacher, Mrs. Schuster (I'll never forget her...), told me that she would pass me if I could write her an original story, 5k words. She said that she knew I could do it, and that if I could just prove to her and myself that I understood what was going on, that I actually had a grasp of the language in some way, shape, or form, she would forgive my grade and pass me.

Needless to say, I did it.

So I handed it in and she read it and she wrote back and forth with my mother over the summer, trying to convince me through her to edit and submit it for publication in some youth publication. I was kind of embarrassed by it, considering it was the work I did so I wouldn't fail 8th grade English, so I said no. I don't think I even have the story anymore, which is the real shame...

But that's what got me into writing. I gave it a shot at a bunch of other points in time, inspired by books like Ender's Game and Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher, but nothing ever stuck, so of course I'm now pursuing it in college.

Offline guess

• Twns till the end
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 06:15:53 PM »
Don't worry coggro I wasn't the best student in English either. My instructor can tell you that but I'm the first child to graduate high school in my family and the only to go to any college what so ever. But my grammer might still not show it perfectly.

JUST! Keep writing.
Sharon
I live in my own world as a writer.

Offline Rhiannon Arwen

• One hot Doc!
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2008, 03:53:43 AM »
I started properly about 6 years ago when my son when first born. Once I was over the shock of having a tiny baby I made the most of all that free time wheil he was napping and kicking his legs happily in his babay chair. I Borrowed some characters and wrote a fan fic, it was a great learning curve[ amd I haven't loooked back since as I persue original works of my own. Prior to this I always loved books, I also recall trying to write a play when I was little. My teachers always commended me for my creative writing which would sometimes get out of hand as the stories would go on and on! Ok so I didn't know about "less is more" back then! As I moved into GCSE classes (aged 14+) it emerged that I had a real flare for english as a subject and my excellent teacher pushed me and challenged me all the way.I ended up with two A grades and then an A level B grade. Again I had superb tutors who made me love literature even more. I regret not doing English Language and want to go back and do it!

Blessings
Rhiannon xxxx
Write because you have a story to tell, write because you have a passion for words and write because you love it-everything else is secondary...

Offline reddsh

• Cute but Jaded
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2008, 02:35:24 PM »
Like some others here, I've been writing since I was a kid.  I believe my first story was when I was 5, in my kindergarten notebook, a story about the Nintendo characters Mario and Luigi, complete with illustrations.  :D

I was always the kid with a notebook in her hand at every family function, sitting by myself and creating stories.  I think I officially started writing when I was about 9 or 10, and started to take it seriously at the age of 12, when I had my 7th grade teacher edit my stories.

I go through "seasons" of writing, but I've never completely stopped.  Even when I'm not engaged in a novel or short story, I'm always coming up with ideas.  :)
The author gets to choose when the story is finally dead. ~Castledoor

Offline rashel2429

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2020, 01:54:14 AM »
Wonderful article. It's very useful.  As a home tuition service provider, I really appreciate your post. Thanks for sharing this with us. https://singaporetuitionteachers.com

Offline meliodasgaming

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2020, 01:51:43 PM »
Seems like you need some comments lol. I Started really thinking about writing in the fifth grade actually. Lynn Reid Banks came to our school
ข่าวกีฬาออนไลน์
for about a week and we had a whole unit on writing before and after she left. My teacher really stressed how writing and books where important and I found that I liked it. So I played around with writing a few things. Then my dad decided he was going to write and incouraged me to write more seriously. So in eight grade I started a book (Which is still a work in progress) and started writing a lot more.