Author Topic: Publishing through CreateSpace  (Read 4588 times)

Offline gillwiles

• View Profile
    • gillsbooktree
Publishing through CreateSpace
« on: January 08, 2016, 01:11:25 PM »
We had a 'What's your story Chorley' last year and they are doing it again this year.  This will be the third one I believe.  In talking to one of the Authors he mentioned a company called Lulu who does the same as Createspace.  I decided to try them out and so uploaded my story to their website, however when it came to pricing the work, their minimum price was higher than CreateSpace.  So I think I will stick with them (unless a publisher comes along and offers me a better deal).   ;)  So I now have 3 poetry book, one of which is a collection of 6 monologues about an Elephant called Mary Belle and 3 stories, 2 are short stories and the other is a full length story, the first of a trilogy, available on Kindle or paperback.  I have also, after being given some advice, made available through my FB page, a choice between a poetry (rhyming narrative about a Dragon called Fred) book and a short story about a Naughty Little Storm Cloud.  My Website - Gillsbooktree.com has links to Amazon and also my FB Authors page.  I have quite a few other things ready apart from the illustrations. :)

Offline ed

• View Profile
Re: Publishing through CreateSpace
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 02:38:17 PM »
We had a 'What's your story Chorley' last year and they are doing it again this year.  This will be the third one I believe.  In talking to one of the Authors he mentioned a company called Lulu who does the same as Createspace.  I decided to try them out and so uploaded my story to their website, however when it came to pricing the work, their minimum price was higher than CreateSpace.  So I think I will stick with them (unless a publisher comes along and offers me a better deal).   ;)  So I now have 3 poetry book, one of which is a collection of 6 monologues about an Elephant called Mary Belle and 3 stories, 2 are short stories and the other is a full length story, the first of a trilogy, available on Kindle or paperback.  I have also, after being given some advice, made available through my FB page, a choice between a poetry (rhyming narrative about a Dragon called Fred) book and a short story about a Naughty Little Storm Cloud.  My Website - Gillsbooktree.com has links to Amazon and also my FB Authors page.  I have quite a few other things ready apart from the illustrations. :)

Forget LULU they are terrible. Createspace all the way.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:20:48 PM by ed »

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 07:32:40 PM »
Ed.  It would be more useful to other members if you told people why you don't like Lulu, or why you find createspace is so much better, rather than just making a bald statement.

Opinions are like buttocks.  We all have them, and some may be worth airing in public.  But without an explanation it's just flashing your arse.

Gyppo

Offline ed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 08:22:46 PM »
Ed.  It would be more useful to other members if you told people why you don't like Lulu, or why you find createspace is so much better, rather than just making a bald statement.

Opinions are like buttocks.  We all have them, and some may be worth airing in public.  But without an explanation it's just flashing your arse.

Gyppo

Wasn't required. The original poster states clearly why createspace is better. Lower prices. I agreed. Please be sure to read the original post.

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 08:54:20 PM »
I did read the original.  You did not specifically state that you agreed with the OP but merely slammed Lulu.  A blanket condemnation serves no useful purpose.

But I have a long memory for disputes and intractability and therefore I see no point in prolonging this any further.

Goodbye.

Offline ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 10:22:46 PM »
I did read the original.  You did not specifically state that you agreed with the OP but merely slammed Lulu.  A blanket condemnation serves no useful purpose.

But I have a long memory for disputes and intractability and therefore I see no point in prolonging this any further.

Goodbye.

Gyppo the use of the quote referenced who i was speaking to. Who else would i be agreeing with? lol

Offline Nantchev

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 08:47:17 AM »
What is wrong with Lulu? Their price structure, speed, attitude or general policy?

I am planning on using Createspace anyway, but curious what is wrong with Lulu.

hillwalker3000

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 10:21:59 AM »
Createspace is 100% free as long as you can do all the prep work yourself. Lulu is not. That's a start.

H3K

Offline thecreativewriter

• View Profile
    • sharonharveywriter.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »
Hi everyone.

I didn't know LULU was not a free site....as I have said on another thread, I am looking to self publish and aside of the tax interview form CS asks for that Lulu doesn't, I was planning on going with CS...Lulu did seem rather confusing and complicating unlike CS - was just the form putting me off..