Author Topic: word count=page?  (Read 3663 times)

Offline indar

word count=page?
« on: December 23, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »
Is there a rule of thumb re: how many words equal a (standard) page?

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Re: word count=page?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 05:01:35 PM »
Around 350-400 reasonably dense text, depends if you have a lot of space because of dialogue which could bring the count down considerably.

Average 10-12 words per line, 30-40 lines per page depending on size and font size too. :-X

Offline indar

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 05:10:40 PM »
Hey Sio,

So glad to see you're back and participating here, you'd been gone a long time when last I visited.

Poetry seems a million miles away just now so I'm planning to work on some prose. Thanks for the information. I'm not certain what my format will be but its good to have some rule of thumb to consider

Offline thatollie

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 01:28:25 AM »
For double line spacing with a fair few paragraph breaks, it can be closer to 250-300 words per page.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 04:32:00 AM »
Interesting question. I think the brief answer is no!

As Sio says, it depends on many things, font and font size being perhaps the most important. Others include whether you use indented or block paragraphs, and whether you are using A4 page size (standard in the UK and Europe) or the smaller "letter" size used mainly in the US (which is shorter, though slightly wider). Personally, I find that my non-fiction articles come out to around 450 words per sheet on A4 paper. I use the default "normal" line spacing in Word, which is somewhere between single and double spacing.
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Jo Bannister

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 09:46:42 AM »
Pick a page of your writing that looks fairly typical - a good proportion of paragraphs, speech, short lines - and count it. 

Of course, if you have word count on your computer it'll do the donkey-work for you.

Offline indar

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »
Thank you all for your response. I feel assured now there is no "right" answer of which I am unaware. I'll say what I have to say and see what happens. I hope it turns out to be a book.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 04:34:14 AM »
Personally I always use computer wordcount, including for invoicing purposes. Nobody has ever complained!
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline indar

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 10:15:05 AM »
There is no word count with my writing program. Someone on this forum provided a link to one that can be downloaded. Do you know anything about that?

Of course I could go to Best Buy to find out if I can get a different program that will work on my old computer.

Artemis Quark

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 10:27:08 AM »
Not sure what the word counter link was but here is one to consider: http://wordcountertool.com

It's an online tool.

AQ

Offline indar

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 01:14:47 PM »
Wow Artemis,
I don't know how I missed your message. I just tried the word counter on the link you sent and it WORKED (so few things do). Thank you, thank you

Artemis Quark

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 02:13:52 PM »
No worries, indar.  8)