Author Topic: Teaching us to edit  (Read 4688 times)

Offline bob414bob

• Learn to spell, it helps!
Teaching us to edit
« on: November 16, 2006, 04:07:50 PM »
I'm not sure how to go about it, but could we have some sort of weekly posting where we have to edit a passage and then compare notes.
What do you think?

nassj

Re: Teaching us to edit
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 06:01:50 PM »
I think this is a brill idea, can some one also post something with spelling mistakes so if I can spot them, then maybe I can improve my spelling and grammer.

Offline bob414bob

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 06:09:18 PM »
Yes, I deffinately need help with my grammar. I'm reading 'Edit yourself into print' and it keeps telling me to read aloud what i have written and I'll know how to punctuate it, well I've tried it and I still dont know. Its so frustrating.

Are we allowed to post bits from published books? or would we have to put our own work up for editing?
I'm not sure how to go about it so if anyone has any idea's let have them.

Ok I've just done a spell check and so far I've made two mistakes, so I've left them in. Who can spot them??????

nassj

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 06:18:07 PM »
Deffinately _ Definitely (took me ages to find this in the dictionary   :-\ )
and I think the i should be I.
Maybe we could just post short things we make up with bad grammar and suff ourselves, make it bad on purposse  ???

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 06:38:39 PM »
it keeps telling me to read aloud what i have written and I'll know how to punctuate it, well I've tried it and I still dont know.

Bob, the way this works for me is;

When reading aloud if I just naturally pause, I figure a comma belongs there.
I there is a comma written and a pause doesn't come natural, delete it.
The same goes for when you just naturally come to a full stop (or fail to stop) place or delet the period accordingly.

But, if you run out of breath before you reach the end of a sentence, you might want to break it up into one or more sentences. 
At any rate, inhale deeply.  We don't want to have to pick up up off the floor.

MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline bob414bob

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 07:00:10 PM »
To  Country4Gal,
                       LOL. I like the image of me on the floor in a big heap. The trouble i have is that I know I'm bad at grammar so when I read it aloud I end up convincing myself it can go either way. I usually sit here typing away and then peep round the computer to ask my daughter. I really do have a mental block when it comes to punctuation, the harder I try, the worse it gets. AAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG

nassj

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 07:02:56 PM »
Me too, sometimes I feel like this,

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 07:25:03 PM »
I hate the idea of either Bob or Candy going up in smoke.  Beside, the resulting BOOM might spread to all part of the globe, wiping out all commas, periods, questions marks and any other stray punctuation marks not nailed down.

So, write in the way that is natural to you and find someone, somewhere to read and add the appropriate punctuation for you.

:-[

Hey, I no expert either, just do the best I can with what I've got.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 07:27:27 PM by Country4Gal »
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

PaulW

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 08:13:18 PM »
Just an idea, but often the best way to learn something is to teach it.

So pick out a punctuation mark, comma, semi-colon, colon, dash, apostrophe, whatever, then go on the web or to the library and research just that one mark. Try and get an understanding of it and write a small article about how to use it, with examples. Apart from increasing your research skills you will get a real command of that element (and there aren't really that many of them.)

How about paragraphs? The theory is they should start with a subject sentence (saying what it's about) then expand on that theme. Take this one for example, I introduced the idea of the paragraph then the subsequent sentences have revolved around that point. I've covered it now so I'll stop and move onto the next paragraph.

If you wish to post your 'report' somewhere, you could a) educate others b) get feedback about any misunderstandings you may have. It may also give you some experience of writing technically rather than writing fiction. Maybe we could get some of the professional editors on here to give their comments on them.

Or not... as you wish ;D

Oh, for the editing idea, I would suggest you use incorrect grammar and bad style as well as spelling mistakes.

Offline Astra

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 09:47:52 AM »
Bob,

Taking note of other writers' work might also be helpful.  Each time you pick up a newspaper or magazine, try to see how the punctuation paces the piece, and how it helps you, as the reader, make sense of what the writer is actually trying to say.

Putting your work away for a while (as long as you can bear it) can also be helpful.  When you go back to read it, you'll have a fresh mind and a clear eye. 

Astra

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 10:02:13 AM »
I have an idea for mwc exchange/editing service... I'll post on it in  a new thread...
"Strive for what you believe in."