Author Topic: "Excuse me!" A walk on the darker side for Halloween...  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
"Excuse me!" A walk on the darker side for Halloween...
« on: October 31, 2015, 06:49:59 PM »
I don't do horror as such. but here's a walk on the dark side. 

"Excuse me..."

=====

"Excuse me."   The little grey man stepped from the shadowed porch as Big Shawn parked his bike and turned to enter his house.  "Would you be Big Shawn Cafferty?"

"Who's askin'?"  Shawn was in a happy mood, well-filled with drink and topped up with pot.  He looked down at the little man, well over a foot shorter and probably only a third of his weight.  Clearly not a threat.

"Oh, you won't know me.  But I have to be sure I get the right person."

"I'm Cafferty.  Is it a message?"  One of the people who employed Shawn as a heavy sometimes used the most unlikely messengers.

"In a way, yes."  It was an old man's voice, quiet, and rather refined.

The messenger took a cloth from his pocket, removed his glasses and began to clean them with great thoroughness.

"Spit it out, Man.  I've a woman waiting inside."

The old man polished the second lens with equal care.

Glasses returned to his face, carefully settled into just the right place, he shoved the cloth into his pocket as Shawn stepped forward, growling, intending to lift him and shake the message loose.

His hand re-emerged and Shawn barely saw the commando dagger before the old man, moving like some deadly ballet dancer, slashed him across the forehead before skipping back, face calm.  Shawn roared with shock, belatedly covered his face to protect his eyes as blood poured over them.

Dancing in again the black blade slashed across the back of his hands, razor sharp steel severing the tendons, leaving his hands as two bloody fists, unable to open and grasp his attacker.

A raking slash down his thigh opened his femoral artery.  As he reached down in a vain attempt to stop the gush the old man slipped past him, crouched, and slashed both hamstrings.

Shawn hit the ground, shock piled upon shock, the back of his head striking the concrete path with a dull thud.

"It's from my granddaughter, Sandra."  The quiet voice all the more terrifying for its lack of obvious passion.  Senses clouding from rapid blood loss and the blow to his head Shawn tried to make sense of what was happening.  "You and your fellow animals raped the wrong girl."

Shawn made an inarticulate protest.

Denim rasped as it parted beneath the blade and he felt the cold sting of another cut.

"The dear girl committed suicide last week because of you.

"I'd like to take a lot longer," the gentle voice murmured.  "But someone might come along.  You've about ninety seconds left before you lose too much blood to save you.

"Open your mouth."

Shawn shook his head in bewildered denial.

With a quick shuffle the knife turned.  The dull brass pommel smashed against the hinge of his jaw.  As his mouth fell open something thick and bloody was crammed deep inside, half choking him.

" I hope you enjoy your last meal more than my granddaughter did."

===== 
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Laura H

Re: "Excuse me!" A walk on the darker side for Halloween...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 07:04:28 PM »
Dang, Gyppo  :o Thanks for the Halloween scare!
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »
Cheers, Laura.

It's a  few years old.  Written long before I had a grandaughter.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline heidi52

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 07:22:13 PM »
Written long before I had a grandaughter.

Oh my, I suspect your feelings expressed here will deepen now.  ;D

Thanks for an enjoyable read on Halloween.

Offline bri h

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 10:18:30 AM »
An engaging read your gyp-ness. Enjoyed it. b.
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »
I don't do horror as such.
But it seems some of your characters do.  :o

Good, tight writing Gyppo. Thanks for the glimpse behind the dark curtain. 
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Online Desiderio Paz

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 04:47:58 PM »
 :o I get the point.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 05:08:43 PM »
Most of the work would have been done with the edge ;-)

Sorry, there's a dark thread running through my humour tonight.