Author Topic: Your Writing Sins  (Read 5186 times)

Offline Narya

Re: Your Writing Sins
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 10:55:23 AM »
-Making my action sequences sound like a laundry list
-Starting too many sentences with "He", "She", or in the case of first person "I"
-Making the mistake of not being able to take into account what the reader knows instead of what I the writer knows

JewelAS53

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 11:06:24 AM »
I tidied up a chapter this morning and discovered it was peppered with 'was' - oddly without the usually accompanying ...ing.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 11:09:09 AM by JewelAS53 »

Offline ed

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 08:29:26 PM »
Are you brave enough? Do you dare out yourself concerning your most heinous writing crimes?

"We learn more from our failures than we do our successes." -A very wise person, I'm sure

Okay, so I made that quote up. I mean, I didn't. It's an old one ideal that has been re-hashed by ever high school graduation speech and inspiring Hallmark card but that doesn't mean it's not true. Cheesy, maybe, but still potentially true.

So what I'm getting at is what are some writing crimes you find yourself often committing? Do you end sentences with prepositions? Gasp!  :o

Do you start sentences with 'but' or 'and'? Egad!  ::)

The truth is, a lot of writing mistakes are made by some of the best writers. That's why they have editors. Heck, sometimes these writing 'mistakes' are not mistakes at all and are simply a part of the writer's style. A sentence ending with a preposition might roll awkwardly off the tongue, but chances are if I'm enthralled by an amazing story and engaging characters, I won't even notice. And I frequently start sentences with 'but' or 'and'. 8)

Then there are others that are truly horrid. I mean mind-boggling, editor-cringing bad. Writing do-nots such as not knowing how to use a contraction. I would never tell an aspiring writer that they should stop writing but if one does not know to use you're instead of your then I will suggest that they go back to basics.

When you get right down to it, none of us are perfect and some of us are better than others. I don't have any of my own work posted yet but when I do I think you will see what I mean. I feel I have a lot of good tips and tricks to offer aspiring authors but my own writing leaves much to be desired. Sometimes it actually is true that those who can't do, teach.

As for myself, I've never met a comma I don't like. I seem to put them everywhere except for where they're supposed to go. My sentence structuring can also be pretty choppy and I have incorporated incomplete sentences into my narrative as if I'm attempting to start a trend.

Heck. I even still occasionally slip up in my use of past and present-tense.

It's a struggle and the struggle is real. So come on in and share your own tales of writing woe. Just be careful where you step. Those are my guts on the floor.  ;)

I believe it was James Patterson that said. Focus on the story not the sentence. And for those who loath Patterson. I'm sure his bank account doesn't mind.  ;)

Offline Marius

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 09:54:34 AM »
Since I joined I reaffirmed my suspicion that I go into unnecessarily amount of detail, and, use, a, bit, too, many commas.

Offline Simple Things

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 10:08:44 AM »
I know I have more, but I remember a few.  My writing had a predictable beat, almost a 7 and 4 which though soothing, was... predictable and so something I had to consider.

I also used 'but / though' far too frequently. It became a crutch to feel to explain to the reader.

I probably look still too much into writing - but I'm working on that one every day and feel that grip lessening.

There's more I'm sure but I'm not sure they're sins, more just my writing growing.

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 11:39:07 AM »
Since I joined I reaffirmed my suspicion that I go into unnecessarily amount of detail, and, use, a, bit, too, many commas.

Marcus, the comma use to me what I considered my biggest downfall. OK, there were other things, but it seemed the comma was the worse by a long shot.

It help tremendously after I learned to print things out when editing. And then read them aloud to myself. By reading aloud it became obvious which one fit and which ones became stumbling blocks when reading.

With a Red or Green (I like green) pen at hand I became vicious with the poor, wayward commas. I'll probably never totally break the habit, but at least I know what to do about it now.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 11:45:07 AM by Alice, a Country Gal »
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi