Author Topic: editor needed  (Read 1365 times)

Offline L.Carmichael_67

editor needed
« on: November 05, 2015, 10:56:10 PM »
hi I have a finished unpublished manuscript, and I need help editing it, but I need someone willing to help for free i hope no one get's offended by this.

Offline Ollie The Legend

Re: editor needed
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 11:03:41 PM »
I'm not offended. I'm not going to do it, but I'm not offended.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline heidi52

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 06:55:54 AM »
Having seen some of the work you have posted for review, I can only imagine what an entire manuscript would be like. I think even a paid editor would be reluctant to wade through something with so many basic problems. Good luck finding someone to do it for free. The reward for all their time would be...?

I suggest you try to do some editing yourself first, the things you have posted look very rough, like you never bother to go back and re-read to spot basic errors.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 07:43:56 AM »
It really is something you need to learn to do for yourself.  No-one is born with the ability to edit so even the professionals have had to learn in the beginning.

I admire your enthusiasm, but there are no shortcuts in writing.  Just ask anyone who is misguided enough to believe spellchecker will automatically find and correct everything for them.  Or that 'Google is your friend'.

There is one enormous benefit to learning to edit your own work, apart from the fact your first drafts will get better as a consequence and need much less work as you gain experience and knowledge.

By editing your own work it will still be yours, will still say what you intended it to say.  Some heavy edits by outsiders are virtually a complete rewrite.  It then becomes their work, rather than yours.  Not legally, but in every other sense.

It really does make sense to learn the skills you need.

Gyppo

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline MJTennant

• We are the Gifted
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »
I agree with the others. 

There are so many benefits from editing your own work as you learn so much along the way.  Not just about those usual mistakes everyone makes when writing their first piece but as yourself as a writer.

I read some of my earlier stuff I wrote a few years ago when I was in my twenties... my character (written in first person) used the old 'look in the mirror' trick to describe herself.  It was cringe city but hey ho, at the time I didn't know any different.

Better to learn from your own mistakes and correct them than someone else pointing them out for you.  Of course it's always helpful to get a critique of your work but that is something entirely different.

Give it a go and good luck!

MJ  ;)