Author Topic: The Grand 2015 National Novel Writing Month Thread  (Read 68257 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: The Grand 2015 National Novel Writing Month Thread
« Reply #510 on: November 26, 2015, 03:28:24 PM »
It looks as if I can step back from my advising and ass-kicking duties and leave it all to Ollie ;-)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline thatollie

« Reply #511 on: November 26, 2015, 03:41:51 PM »
It looks as if I can step back from my advising and ass-kicking duties and leave it all to Ollie ;-)

Well, I can't be everywhere at once. I also have jobseeking responsibilities to attend to for the foreseeable future.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #512 on: November 26, 2015, 04:06:42 PM »
Don't worry, I'll still keep an eye out for those who need it ;-)

Good luck with the job search.  Seriously.  What was it they used to tell us at Job Club?  Oh yes, finding a job is a full-time job in itself.  They didn't seem to appreciate the suggestion that if we were doing a full time job - by their own criteria - we should get paid a proper wage for it rather than just Jobseeker's Allowance.

What was the other fun quote?  It's easier to find a job when you already have one.  It's also easy to lose the job you already have if your employer finds you're looking around.  "If you're not happy here then here's a week's pay in lieu of notice.  I don't want unhappy workers."

Apparently there's laws to stop them discriminating against you in this way, but the best way to get yourself a reputation as 'unemployable' is to try and invoke these laws.

And once you've established your reputation as a 'seasonal worker' the full-time bosses don't want you because "You're likely to go running off as soon as your favourite job comes around again."

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline MaryRuth

• Flotsam and Jetsam
« Reply #513 on: November 29, 2015, 01:30:07 AM »
Yay! I did it.. What a great feeling.. Thanks for all the support on here  :) Onward!
--

Mary Thompson
https://about.me/mary_thompson

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #514 on: November 29, 2015, 01:31:12 AM »
Congratulations.

Offline MaryRuth

• Flotsam and Jetsam
« Reply #515 on: November 29, 2015, 01:37:00 AM »
--

Mary Thompson

Offline Catherine F

• I watch the ripples change their size (D. Bowie)
« Reply #516 on: November 29, 2015, 02:07:36 AM »
Yay! I did it.. What a great feeling.. Thanks for all the support on here  :) Onward!

Hip hip! Hurray! That's grand. You can be proud  8)

Offline RamblingRose

« Reply #517 on: November 29, 2015, 02:34:52 AM »
Well done! That's amazing.

Offline MaryRuth

• Flotsam and Jetsam
« Reply #518 on: November 29, 2015, 03:46:24 AM »
Thanks Catherine & RR. How ru getting on with it?
--

Mary Thompson

Offline RamblingRose

« Reply #519 on: November 29, 2015, 03:53:51 AM »
I'm almost there: 3,200 words to go, but I'm finding this last stretch really hard. The story is basically done, so I need to expand some sections where I've rushed through them. Fingers crossed…

Hope your tendinitis is improving Catherine.

Offline MaryRuth

• Flotsam and Jetsam
« Reply #520 on: November 29, 2015, 03:57:57 AM »
I'm almost there: 3,200 words to go, but I'm finding this last stretch really hard. The story is basically done, so I need to expand some sections where I've rushed through them. Fingers crossed…

The last part is the hardest, I know! Keep going! I wrote the last thousand at 3 am.. Still have a lot to do though but that can wait a few weeks.. Good luck  :)
--

Mary Thompson

Offline Catherine F

« Reply #521 on: November 29, 2015, 04:43:20 AM »

Keep up with your efforts Kate! You are so close now. I'm sure you are exhausted, but you are going to make it! When it's too hard, just imagine how great you'll feel when you hit the 50000th word down on the keyboard :D It'll be such a great moment. Go on a little bit more, you're nearly there...I'm pushing you from here, does it help?

Offline Catherine F

« Reply #522 on: November 29, 2015, 04:45:34 AM »
Also remember  a few months back, when we were writing on our online course, right at the begining: you'd never have thought you could/would do this , think of how you've progressed since then.

Offline RamblingRose

« Reply #523 on: November 29, 2015, 06:45:50 AM »
Keep up with your efforts Kate! You are so close now. I'm sure you are exhausted, but you are going to make it! When it's too hard, just imagine how great you'll feel when you hit the 50000th word down on the keyboard :D It'll be such a great moment. Go on a little bit more, you're nearly there...I'm pushing you from here, does it help?

The temptation will be to finish mid-sentence  ;D Any kind of pushing helps! Thank you. You and all this thread have been such great support.

And you're quite right, I had no idea it was possible to write this many words, especially not in one month. It'll be interesting to read them back sometime and see what words they were!

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #524 on: November 29, 2015, 07:28:43 AM »
RR:  Keep at it,  You're too close not to cross the finishing line now.

But allow yourself a few extra words, because the wordcount on your processor may not agree exactly with that used by Nano's verifier.

If you find yourself really stuck towards the end you can 'cheat' a little by adding in a character list, with brief descriptions of each (Both physical description and motivation), or a synopsis of what you remember writing.  It's all related to the story, so it can legitimately count towards the total.  You can easily find another thousand or so by doing this.

Gyppo