Author Topic: The Grand 2015 National Novel Writing Month Thread  (Read 61705 times)

Offline thatollie

The Grand 2015 National Novel Writing Month Thread
« on: September 01, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
Autumn has come again and that is a wonderful thing. Tis writing season once again. People are starting to get ready for another November of Novel Writing Glory with Nanowrimo 2015. So, who's playing this year? This topic (a yearly thing, for those that don't know) is a place to chat about this year's Nano. If you have any questions, we have nano veterans (psst, this is like my ninth go at this thing).

You can sign up right now, and we always appreciate a declaration of intent.

Here's the link . . .
http://nanowrimo.org/

I'm going to spend the rest of tonight trying to find something to write about.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:32:27 PM by Idiot Savant »
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline MiggsEye

Re: The Grand 2015 National Novel Writing Month Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »
Hi, Thatollie. I gather people taking this on have an idea what story they are writing, either by having developed an outline or some sort of story synopsis, prior to their start on Nov. 1. At this point I have neither. Though I have some ideas. Hmmm....

I've only writing very short works. It would be a bold move to write a novel now. Hmmm....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:46:17 PM by MiggsEye »
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try” — Dr. Seuss

Offline heidi52

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 05:48:36 PM »
No, not everyone starts with a plan or  plot. There are a whole contingent of "Seat of the Pantsers" who just sit down and start writing.

The sitting down and writing is the important part, what you are working on not so much actually.  ;D

This will be my third. Haven't completed one yet. Three's a charm, right?.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 05:55:14 PM »
Hi, Thatollie. I gather people taking this on have an idea what story they are writing, either by having developed an outline or some sort of story synopsis, prior to their start on Nov. 1. At this point I have neither. Though I have some ideas. Hmmm....

I've only writing very short works. It would be a bold move to write a novel now. Hmmm....

Bold moves are the way to improve. You will learn a lot from just writing.

Also, this may help you.
http://blog.nanowrimo.org/post/65354932148/5-tips-for-nanowrimo-getting-started

No, not everyone starts with a plan or  plot. There are a whole contingent of "Seat of the Pantsers" who just sit down and start writing.

The sitting down and writing is the important part, what you are working on not so much actually.  ;D

This will be my third. Haven't completed one yet. Three's a charm, right?.

Number Six was the charm for me and I haven't won since.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 06:02:47 PM by thatollie »

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 06:18:23 PM »
Gyppo offered some good advise for anyone considering joining in the NaNo writing.

You can see it here:
http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=39739.0

I've joined NaNo several years. Finished some of them. Unfortunately RL called a halt to lots of things, including writing for 2 years. Really missed it when I had to stop. There is something satisfying about seeing that word count go up and knowing ahead of time that you'll not be doing any editing until November is in your rear view mirror.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:44:04 AM by Alice, a Country Gal »
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline thatollie

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 06:24:17 PM »
Gyppo offered some good advise for anyone considering joining in the NaNo writing.

You can see it here:
http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=39739.0

I've joined NaNo several years. Finished most of them. Unfortunately RL called a halt to lots of things, including writing for 2 years. Really missed it when I had to stop. There is something satisfying about seeing that word count go up and knowing ahead of time that you'll not be doing any editing until November is in your rear view mirror.

You may also notice some advice from someone called thatollie. This is merely a coincidence.

Actually, I should probably do another tipsheet.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 07:22:13 PM »
For those who don't like to plan everything out...

A few years back I started NANO at the stroke of midnight with no more to go on than a post it note bearing three words.  Speed, Motorcycles, Candyfloss.  50,000 + words later I had never even mentioned the Candyfloss.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline thatollie

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 07:26:07 PM »
For those who don't like to plan everything out...

A few years back I started NANO at the stroke of midnight with no more to go on than a post it note bearing three words.  Speed, Motorcycles, Candyfloss.  50,000 + words later I had never even mentioned the Candyfloss.

Gyppo

Did you ever get around to releasing it? I can't see it on your lulu page.

Offline Laura H

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »
I think I may go for it this year, Thatollie. Life should be calmer come November and I've got to get back into a writing routine.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 08:48:29 AM »
Did you ever get around to releasing it? I can't see it on your lulu page.

I put it in a safe place, and it is still safe, pending a thorough edit.  Oddly enough I was looking through it the other day and thinking about releasing Fast Lady into the wild.

As Mum gets older my non-writing life is getting more demanding, but the little red-headed heroine of that tale can't be denied forever.

It will happen.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

JewelAS53

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 09:19:47 AM »
Was exhausted after the absolute marathon I had to do to complete the 50k words on time ;)

Thought I wouldn't give it another go, last year's 'win' notwithstanding.

But I have 3 ideas milling around, and signing up again just might be the impetus required to get them started/done/whatevered.

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 10:33:19 AM »
Wish I could do this.  My edit schedule doesn't allow it (again). Maybe next year.... :-\
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 08:47:22 PM »
I'm already getting excited.

Offline MaryRuth

• Flotsam and Jetsam
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 12:08:18 PM »
Really great to see this thread as I'm doing Nanawrimo this year (I usually say 'planning to'!). Totally inspired by everyone that completes it. Sincerely hope I'll be one of them, but must admit to feeling slightly fearful! Really intrigued by those who don't plan at all and still make the target. I'm not a natural planner so that appeals to me. Have any of you managed to get your novel published?
--

Mary Thompson
https://about.me/mary_thompson

Offline Inseriousity.

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 01:48:21 PM »
Yes I'm ready to give it another go. I think I've still got last year's in my sig. If I do there's proof that I didn't do too well but I was spending all day writing job applications so I didn't fancy writing my novel after that. I have a job this time so I'll ironically have a bit more time to just write. Fingers crossed it goes slightly better haha.