Author Topic: Publishers  (Read 10067 times)

Offline 13angelface94

Re: Publishers
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 04:57:15 PM »
Is there any publishers anyone would recommend? I am currently in contact with Xlibris publishing. Has anyone worked with them? If so, are they a good publisher to work with?

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 08:09:43 AM »
They are a vanity press (but at least they're up front about it, unlike Pegasus), and there's nothing wrong with that per se. As long as you have a few thousand pounds of disposable income to throw at this (don't expect to make anything back unless you are a marketing expert or have 100,000 followers on Twitter).
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Lin

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »
Be very careful with vanity publishing and do not  and I repeat DO NOT PAY ANY MONEY UP FRONT and sign a contract only to get your name in lights!

What you should be looking for is a sound publisher and if your work is good enough they will take you up on the offer.  Some writers think their work is wonderful and cannot understand it when they receive a rejection.  They just don't see their book as a publisher might see it.

There are some key ingredients to having a book published.  You either have those ingredients or you haven't read up on the subject enough.  I spent ages reading the key factors of a good romance novel.  I probably still don't have what it takes for the future, who knows?  The main thing to remember is that this whole business of being a novelist is a challenge and a way of life not a money earner unless you drop in lucky.  With time you can learn how to make it happen.  It took me ten years and I suspect there are others on this forum who took longer to get published.

The main thing to remember is to ask around and go to workshops and writing conferences.  The York Festival of Writing is coming up in September.  It's a wonderful place to get started. There are loads of agents and publishers waiting to read your novel on a one to one basis.  There you will receive feedback.

Don't be in a hurry, take your time.  The Writers and Artists' Yearbook can be overwhelming but many of the publishers and agents in the book are well known.  You are on the right track asking around, but please whatever you do, don't jump in with both feet! 

Good luck :D

Lin

Offline 13angelface94

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 11:06:05 PM »
Thank you for the wonderful advice!

Offline 13angelface94

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 11:12:06 PM »
I would absolutely love to go to the York Writing Festival, but unfortunately I am a american who happens to not have very much money at the moment. I will have to look for writing conferences where I live. Thank you again for the wonderful advice!

Lin

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 08:51:02 AM »
Try to find a club or local writers' group.  There must surely be some writing workshops locally for you to attend. 

Lin  :D