Author Topic: I have an idea for a musical and need an opinion  (Read 8226 times)

Offline BailsTheNoShellSnail

I have an idea for a musical and need an opinion
« on: July 08, 2015, 05:15:35 AM »
I have an idea for a musical and would appreciate any opinions I can get. The idea is currently simple and still has other things to add to it, but the idea for the script is this.

An under cover cop has to infiltrate the Korean mafia, once in the mafia he realises that the people in the mafia were just like he is, which is a normal person and this leads to him eventually trying the make the members of the mafia go back to normality.

Any opinions would be great :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:50:18 AM by Alice, a Country Gal »

Offline BailsTheNoShellSnail

Re: I have an idea for a musical and need an opinion
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 05:16:26 AM »
Oh and sorry about the typos I'm not used to my new laptops keyboard.

Offline Louis D. Thorpe

• Sigmund Freud versus Carl Jung
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:16:07 AM »
I thought you said the members of the mafia were normal.

Define normal.

hillwalker3000

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 04:37:15 AM »
An under cover cop has to infiltrate the Korean mafia, once in the mafia he realises that the people in the mafia were just like he is, which is a normal person and this leads to him eventually trying the make the members of the mafia go back to normality.

If he discovers they're normal persons they don't need to go back to normality since they're already there. Weird.

H3K

Lin

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 06:36:05 AM »
Yes you need to define normal.  I must admit I think of musicals like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,  I am still living in the Rogers and Hammerstein era! 

Lin x :D

Offline MJTennant

• We are the Gifted
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 07:15:32 AM »
In my opinion, this type of story would be better as a drama rather than a musical.  Unless you were thinking of putting a comedy spin on it and that may work better?

Just a thought.

M J

Offline Makavelli

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 04:29:12 PM »
Since he is undercover, I guess he would be Korean, maybe have him struggle with his identity as a Korean cop as opposed to a Korean American (if its based in America.)

Maybe make him a double agent, or he falls for the daughter of the mob boss.

But I agree this would be easier to write as a drama.

Tony_A20

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »
Don't worry about the story.

Establish a premise, determine the two main characters and their external and internal conflicts, write the music.

Songs are personal utterances and always deal with internal conflicts and challenges. External conflicts are caused by external factors brought about by society or other characters.

Whatever the problems, musicals should always resolve the premise with a satisfying ending.

Story is easy, music and libretto are the important factors.

JMO
Tony