Author Topic: Modern nursery rhym  (Read 4867 times)

DwWin

Modern nursery rhym
« on: October 27, 2006, 04:41:35 AM »
With the approach of the 5th of November, an important date on the British calendar as it celebrates the uncovering of a plot to kill both King and Parliament in 1605, I started to search for the words to the children’s nursery rhyme;

Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, twas his intent
To blow up king and parliament.
Three score barrels were laid below
To prove old England's overthrow.

By God's mercy he was catched
With a dark lantern and lighted match.
Holler boys, holler boys, let the bells ring
Holler boys, holler boys, God save the King.

There are variations and additional verses, which are very strongly anti Roman Catholic, but based on the verses above the challenge is this;

Write a poem as though a terrorist attack against the royal family or government had been foiled today, based on the structure of the above nursery rhyme, to pass down through the ages.

PM your entries to me by 31st October.

Offline sugy

• A baby squirrel.
    • Golf Grumble
Re: Modern nursery rhym
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 01:38:19 PM »
Is this some kind of a competition?

Sugy

Offline pjtudor

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 08:24:41 PM »
DwWin

Since I am Only 9 i don't know how to PM somebody[ have no idea what PM stands for] so can i just write it on my writers circle cause I really love English Monarchy from Edward the Confesser and up to Queen Elizabeth the 2nd?
sorry for the trouble

pjtudor

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 02:03:11 AM »
pj, if you click on DwWin's name, his profile will come up.  Near the bottom of the profile will be a link called, "send this member a personal message" (or something like that).  click on that and you'll be able to send DwWin a PM (PM stands for Personal Message).

Don't post your entry here because then we won't be able to vote for yours anonymously in the competition!  (DwWin will post it when he's received all the entries, so we'll definitely get a chance to see it)

Hope you had a good time in Italy.
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

DwWin

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 02:30:39 AM »
C'mon Guys and girls! Two days to go and only two enteries in!

DwWin

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 10:08:21 AM »
Is this some kind of a competition?

Sugy

Hi Sugy,

it is a competition, if I can get enough enteries, but it is mainly a bit of fun, somthing to get the brain working!