Author Topic: Pictures / Sketches in work  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Zulu

Pictures / Sketches in work
« on: June 21, 2015, 03:35:13 PM »
Okay I want to write a short ditty, as I did when I was a kid, on short stories. A series if you would. A sort of warm up welcome to training my brain to write fiction - I have a few non-fictions under my belt in fields where more is typically better otherwise the average joe is going "whaaaat."

Now I know someone who is a very good portrait / sketch artist and the theme is a series of short animal stories. Sort of like the old Animal Tales from the 90s.

My thing is I want some sketches of some of the animals - a sort of "mugshot" idea. As in

Chapter 9: The dog called XXX - and have a sketch of a straggly mongrel right underneath. Either you turn the page or halfway down that page itself you start the story.

Does this idea work anymore or have the sketches and drawings of old hit the bucket?

Offline The Skald

Re: Pictures / Sketches in work
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »
Not to shamelessly self-promote my books (well, kinda...)  ;D but I co-wrote a book called Lucid's Dreaming, that had a lot of sketches/illustrations in it. I only co-wrote it, so it was my co-writer who did the artsy stuff. But the point is, I think it came out quite well. The illustrations really bring out the story, yet they don't distract from the text.

Jo Bannister

Re: Pictures / Sketches in work
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 03:41:00 AM »
Maybe I'm old fashioned, or childish, or both, but I love to open a novel and find a few illustrations dotted about.  It's a bonus.