Author Topic: Help! US or UK spelling?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
Help! US or UK spelling?
« on: February 18, 2006, 09:37:22 AM »
Hello,

I have a US agent who's going to try marketing my book. It seems that the US/UK spelling is optional - they're not pushing it, but if it's going to be marketed principally in the US would I be better off changing to US spelling? Wouldn't US publishers prefer that?

All comments gratefully received. Thank you,

Symphony

Lin

Re: Help! US or UK spelling?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 09:51:15 AM »
Hi Symphony

Wont the publisher decide on that when you get down to the nitty gritties.   They will have their own editor surely and they will make the changes, I could be wrong on this but having spoken to others on a similar issue, I get the impression that is the way it works.

Lin

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 03:37:01 PM »
I think if you have a US agent (and congratulations on that!) you should be guided by their advice really. They are (or should be) best placed to know whether changing the spellings would be helpful or not. In the overall scheme of things it's probably not very important, and if a US publisher likes the book I'm sure they wouldn't be deterred by the need to change a few spellings. As they say in the States, don't sweat the small stuff!

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 09:04:20 AM »
Hello,

Thank you for your replies, Lin and Nick. I've taken your advice and left it with UK spelling - the publisher can decide (and it saved me the harrowing experience of adding all those typos to my manuscript  :'( :'()

Symphony

p.s. apologies to any Americans reading this - I'm just kidding! I'm sure you know what I mean  ;D

Offline mary

• Me and my therapy dog, Woof
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 12:36:41 PM »
Hi Symphony,

If you're selling here in the US, go with the US spelling. As a nation we have a narcissitic personality and believe we have it right. ( even if it doesn't matter) SO subconciously you will sell more copies by catering to the customer's (reader's) mentality. "When in Rome..."  However, kudos on your wonderful progress.  ;D mary