Author Topic: The MWC Bar/Red Barren Bar  (Read 6661010 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: The MWC Bar/Red Barren Bar
« Reply #123840 on: December 13, 2018, 08:11:48 AM »
:)

I always like when you light up your emotions, Deb.

Well said in all regards. 

Tak(Silt/Sam Cooper/Simplethings...   I had a few names, can't remember which one you knew )   

Like any road to recovery, it takes time. Here's hoping the site does.

Hi, Tak, thought you 'sounded' like Silt ;-)

=====

General comment below, not intended in any way as 'my site is better than yours' provocation.  (The fact I feel the need to insert that comment is a sign of the times.)

You cannot buy, or bottle, what this site once had.  In the last couple of years before the change of owners it was faltering a bit, (love doesn't make you blind), but it was an active community as well as a place for learning.  People were always willing to ask questions, even those which had no direct bearing on writing.

Disputes were often settled off-screen via PMs or even emails.  Deliberate 'trolls' were warned off, banned if necessary.  Persistent offenders who kept coming back under new names, especially if they preyed on our 'ladies', were sometimes dealt with summarily in the background by our more tech-savvy members.

The biggest problem facing the circle now seems to me to be the same one also faced by BWF, the lifeboat into which many MWC members decamped when it seemed inevitable that the spammers had won.

Simply, the lack of active members.  Like a supermarket, any forum needs a reasonable amount of 'footfall'.  BWF has about 20% active members who post quite regularly and discuss things.  A fair bit of this is the games we play, just as we did when we were more active here on MWC.

At its best MWC was a global community, even if there was preponderance of English and Americans.  You could log on at almost any time in the 24 hours and there would be someone here.

All writing circles need to thrive in order to thrive.   It's a self fulfilling prophecy. That requires active participants.  If you could suddenly inject a hundred new and keen members into the site - in fact any site - the whole atmosphere and vibe would change dramatically.

I would truly love to see this place come back to life.  But 735 online in one day doesn't mean much if all they do is look around and wait for someone else to post.

But I live in hope.  (My 'Inner Hippy 'always does, despite what life has done to him at times.)

Gyppo
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 07:49:51 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #123841 on: December 14, 2018, 05:15:08 PM »
It doesn't have to be a contest over who has the best or most. It is simply two different places and those of us who were here years ago and visit every once in a while can see a difference. You might want to check the post counts on Gyppo or me before you dismiss what we have to say about MWC. We were here for years and years and we know stories.

Years ago we published books and sold them to raise money for charities. You might want to do a search for "The Station" and find some of our tales. Or you might want to play one upmanship games. It really makes no difference.

As someone who once played here, it has changed. If you want to make it alive again, please do more than harangue members. That's not really going to improve the overall ambience or create a welcoming environment.

Saying "peace and love" while lobbing Molotov cocktails isn't effective at all on either front.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline heartsongjt

• A/K/A Jan (Sanford) Tetstone
    • Heartsong's Poetry Diary
« Reply #123842 on: December 14, 2018, 05:32:01 PM »
 Chick, Actually your last post, before today, was : on: March 08, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »
http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=5366

And tell me again your complaint...about a forum you aren't active on?     jt
Words are Weapons of Demons and Saints

Offline Il Penseroso

« Reply #123843 on: December 14, 2018, 05:52:32 PM »
In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll)

You're welcome, miss T.

Offline heartsongjt

« Reply #123844 on: December 14, 2018, 05:57:14 PM »
In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll)

You're welcome, miss T.

Thank you, Penseroso.

Offline Noizchild

• Tokyo-Zion Academy
« Reply #123845 on: December 14, 2018, 11:30:58 PM »
I finally got insurance again.
"It's not food anymore, Dean! It's Darwinism!" -- Sam Winchester from "Supernatural"

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #123846 on: December 15, 2018, 05:58:40 AM »

:)

I always like when you light up your emotions, Deb.

Well said in all regards. 

Tak(Silt/Sam Cooper/Simplethings...   I had a few names, can't remember which one you knew )   

Apparently, your sentiment is not shared, as my post, was removed.    :-X ??? I'm having a bit of an itch about being censured while a troll runs free to reek havoc and insult long standing members here, uncensored.
Like any road to recovery, it takes time. Here's hoping the site does.

I agree. I'd love nothing more than to see a MWC revival. It's unfortunate that a Jr Member is allowed to, and thus, continues to try to undermine that possibility.
:-\
This automatic, font size change, every time I try to insert a quote, is quite annoying. Sometimes I miss the automatic alteration to my posts and you get writing smaller than this by 7.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:08:34 AM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Il Penseroso

« Reply #123847 on: December 15, 2018, 06:41:49 AM »
Apparently, your sentiment is not shared, as my post, was removed.

I think the sentiment is shared by all who matter.

I'm having a bit of an itch about being censured while a troll runs free to reek havoc and insult long standing members here, uncensored.

Hmmm. That blows, eh?

I'd love nothing more than to see a MWC revival. It's unfortunate that a Jr Member is allowed to, and thus, continues to try to undermine that possibility.

It's a bloody shame, that.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #123848 on: December 15, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »
Chick, Actually your last post, before today, was : on: March 08, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »
http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=5366

And tell me again your complaint...about a forum you aren't active on?     jt

I somehow missed a point in this.

We were talking about y'all over at BWF and so I stopped back to see what was happening. What's happening is unpleasant. Which is pretty much why BWF even exists.

I did notice that there are only four moderators now and one of them is JT something ish like. Are you one of the moderators here? The JamToast or whatever moderator has exactly zero posts, so I'm wondering how moderator he/she/it is.

I used to be quite active here (please note the post count) and it obvious to me now why I'm not. I'm unsure how making anyone feel unwelcome helps to improve your current iteration of this writing forum. This is not a criticism, it is an observation.

If you need to hear me say y'all are wonderful and fabulous and desirable and I have no reason why I ever jumped ship, I can give you the first three, but not the last.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline heartsongjt

« Reply #123849 on: December 15, 2018, 08:42:49 AM »
Bartender give all MWC members a welcome back Lala. ;D

Offline Noizchild

• Tokyo-Zion Academy
« Reply #123850 on: December 15, 2018, 11:19:57 PM »
Sims 4 is calling me again.
"It's not food anymore, Dean! It's Darwinism!" -- Sam Winchester from "Supernatural"

Offline JameelaM

• Administrator
« Reply #123851 on: December 16, 2018, 12:18:43 AM »
Hey Guys!

Just wanting to drop a note to let you know that we appreciate you coming back here and re-engaging with us. As you know we did have some technical issues with the forum which have been resolved, let's please all refrain from kicking up the dust around it, we've moved forward and resolved issues, made decisions about moderator changes based on the majority of the mods leaving and are in the process of finding new moderators to help manage the forum. (Send me a PM if you're interested. )

Otherwise let's continue to enjoy friendly bar time and writing :)

Offline heartsongjt

« Reply #123852 on: December 16, 2018, 07:38:10 PM »
"Bartender Give me a Lala  but go light on the moonshine..."  :'(

"Why you cuttin back on moonshine  jt?"   ???

"I'm figurin thats the part  that gits me in trouble. " :-[
 :-\
"What did you do... jt?"  ???

"Nothin...I'm just figurin...that's all..."

Downing the Lala.....

"I am, was the bartender before you bones?"  :-\

"Yelp...bones ran this place for years....good
fellow he was, just ask any of the old MWC
the'll say the same.......Why you askin  jt?"

Just been tryin to figure out what happin
to MWC...that's all." :'(

Offline Noizchild

• Tokyo-Zion Academy
« Reply #123853 on: December 16, 2018, 09:25:32 PM »
Sims 4 calls me again.

Offline heartsongjt

« Reply #123854 on: December 17, 2018, 05:18:38 PM »
"Bartender....has anybody been in today?"

??? ??? ???
"Noooo. . .why?"

"No reason..was just asking"   :-[

"It's just no fun drinkin  and talkin
to myself. What happened to everybody?"  ???

Far as I can tell jt.... they all got caught up
in life...and forgot how important it is to
work together to keep MWC in the best of health."

"I don't wantta hear know more.... I wish they'd
all come back. . but cain't  make nobody do
what they don't wanta do....  give me a Lala to go."

:'( :'( :'( "jt...stop with that sad stuff already!"