Author Topic: The MWC Bar/Red Barren Bar  (Read 6401548 times)

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Frogg

• Let there be tea.
Re: The MWC Bar/Red Barren Bar
« Reply #114346 on: December 20, 2014, 02:10:42 AM »
I shall raise a glass, and a crumpet for good measure.

"Tony."

I'm going slightly insane.

About three weeks ago, I accidentally doused my laptop in hot chocolate, thus rendering it useless. I waited a few days for it to dry out, then took the whole damnable contraption apart, cleaned it all and after a fair few attempts put it back together. Thankfully, it's all now working marvellously, other than the keyboard, from which I can coax nary a whisper. I ordered a wireless replacement over a fortnight ago but it has yet to arrive.

This means the only typing I can do is with the on-screen keyboard, an arena in which I have no skill or patience.

Honestly, I had to go and make a cup of tea halfway through painstakingly typing this, one blasted click at a time, hence the slight insanity. I briefly attempted speech recognition, but that ended in repeatedly bellowing "...AND, you stupid contraption, AND! Of all the- no, don't type that... for the love of. A. N. D... how hard is that? It's as though the bloody Elders of Technology are conspiring against me... Really? You can type my soliloquising letter perfect, but the moment- Oh for Pete's sake, when in that sentence did I say 'Adrianne's dinghy habits?"

For the sake of my neighbours, I'm sticking to painstaking clicking until the new keyboard arrives.

"Bones, something to ease the madness, if you'd be so kind."

How are we all, folks? Rather quiet in here of late.
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters... it's amazing I'm here at all. - Bernard Black

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #114347 on: December 20, 2014, 10:54:21 AM »
recovering from a short but nasty flu bug :-\

aside from that,I decided to bake a pizza to appease my hungry stomach

Offline Gyppo

« Reply #114348 on: December 20, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »
I'm going slightly insane.

About three weeks ago, I accidentally doused my laptop in hot chocolate, thus rendering it useless. I waited a few days for it to dry out, then took the whole damnable contraption apart, cleaned it all and after a fair few attempts put it back together. Thankfully, it's all now working marvellously, other than the keyboard, from which I can coax nary a whisper. I ordered a wireless replacement over a fortnight ago but it has yet to arrive.

How are we all, folks? Rather quiet in here of late.

1)  Don't do it.  Any reduction in your lovable level of nuttiness could 'seriously disrupt the balance of the farce'.

2)  Congratulations on successfully getting it all back together.  If you have a spare USB port a cheap plug-in keyboard (£5 - £10) should work, and spare you the future hassle of dismantling a clock or other electrical gadget at 2 AM to plunder suitable batteries when your wireless board dies on you.  Just as punctures nearly always happen in the rain, wireless keyboards always die when the shops are closed, or when your cat/dog has just found and eaten the emergency back up batteries.

3)  Pre-Christmas Slump.  Happens every year.  We used to be able to blame it on all the Uni students going home and losing their free connection.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 07:45:37 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Gyppo

« Reply #114349 on: December 20, 2014, 09:03:37 PM »
i told myself i'd be in bed by 2 AM, and it is now three minutes past.  Not a bad estimate.

Spent some time doing disc housekeeping, scans, etc.

Goodnight

Gyppo

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #114350 on: December 20, 2014, 09:54:20 PM »
have a sound sleep ;)

I'm off to bed as soon as I finish my Neocitran ,still feeling a wee bit nauseous  ::) :P

Offline Laura H

« Reply #114351 on: December 21, 2014, 10:53:01 PM »
Happy equinox/winter solstice, all.

Got your shopping done, Bones? Are you on Santa's nice list this year, or did someone spill the beans about that incident last June?

At any rate, this is the longest night of the year so tips should be good. Except I forgot my wallet. Again.

Put it on...Don's tab. We haven't hit that one in a while.  ;)
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #114352 on: December 21, 2014, 11:31:42 PM »
Happy equinox/winter solstice, all.

Got your shopping done, Bones? Are you on Santa's nice list this year, or did someone spill the beans about that incident last June?

At any rate, this is the longest night of the year so tips should be good. Except I forgot my wallet. Again.

Put it on...Don's tab. We haven't hit that one in a while.  ;)

Days are going to get longer ;D

Offline Frogg

• Let there be tea.
« Reply #114353 on: December 22, 2014, 04:08:36 AM »
2)  Congratulations on successfully getting it all back together.  If you have a spare USB port a cheap plug-in keyboard (£5 - £10) should work, and spare you the future hassle of dismantling a clock or other electrical gadget at 2 AM to plunder suitable batteries when your wireless board dies on you.  Just as punctures nearly always happen in the rain, wireless keyboards always die when the shops are closed, or when your cat/dog has just found and eaten the emergency back up batteries.

I shall invest in one post-haste, I vow never to be keyboardless again.

Rain, rain, rain. By the time I get back from my appointments, I shall probably resemble a drowned kitten.

On the up side, my keyboard arrives tomorrow, only one more sleep to go. Exciting stuff.

"Bones, a large pot of tea and a bucket, mugs just aren't going to cut it on a day like today. Here's my card, drinks are on me this morn."
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters... it's amazing I'm here at all. - Bernard Black

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #114354 on: December 22, 2014, 04:37:48 AM »
I'll stick to my neocitran/mint liqueur mix ;)

Offline bri h

« Reply #114355 on: December 22, 2014, 06:10:33 AM »
Just had Coffee n Walnut cake and coffee. I'm feeling rather full. Burp! Phftt! heh heh. Good morning to you all. B
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline Laura H

« Reply #114356 on: December 22, 2014, 07:10:37 AM »
Good morning, Bri. Just coffee here.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Gyppo

« Reply #114357 on: December 22, 2014, 12:39:27 PM »
It's as black as the hobs of Hell outside.  Not a star in sight, which indicates thick cloud cover.

But, as of dawn tomorrow, the days start getting longer again.  It may be quite a while before this becomes noticeable but our wee planet's orbit is taking it closer to the sun again with each rotation.  I find this curiously comforting thought, even though I'll moan like hell when it gets too damned hot again.

I guess that for me the descent into Winter, although I quite like the season in general, is a bit like dying.  Emerging again into the Spring is like being reborn, a feeling that once again I've escaped Nature's annual cull.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:05:16 AM by Gyppo »

Offline Gyppo

« Reply #114358 on: December 22, 2014, 02:38:19 PM »
My song of the day, today.  Last heard in the 70s.  Magically appeared today on youtube.

http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=55993.0

Offline herron

• There's no burden heavier than a great potential.
    • Broken Glass
« Reply #114359 on: December 22, 2014, 09:35:05 PM »
supposed to start raining here tomorrow, with snow by Christmas. Too much still to do. Bones, I need a small libation, please. Set 'em up for the rest of the folks, too...on me.
web: Broken Glass
blog: Painting With Light
media: RLH Media
The Book of Face: R. Herron, Author
Tweets: @ronherron