Author Topic: TvTune - He's the New Guy. Hello!  (Read 2721 times)

Offline TvTune

TvTune - He's the New Guy. Hello!
« on: June 04, 2015, 05:21:51 PM »
Hey Folks,
   I'm new to My Writers Circle.  I've not previously participated in any type of online forum. Thanks, Nick, for the Newbie Stickies. Please bear with me as I become accustomed to the mechanics and etiquette of forum participation in general and of this group in particular.
   I read widely and voraciously. Just finished Neal Stephenson's Seveneves and Brian Catling's The Vorrh. I'm currently reading Proust's In Search of Lost Time (Will I really finish it this time and within the allotted one year which I have assigned myself for this goal?). I also enjoy non-fiction. I'm just beginning the read of Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's Flow. I usually have five or six books going simultaneously. These books vie for my time and attention. Invariably, two will pull to the front of the pack. With those, I'm all in to the finish. One or two will fade from the current race to be resurrected in later rounds. Of course, there is a stack of books next to my nightstand which I keep saying I will get to or get back to. I'm sure many of you have similar stacks. And, God forbid I would ever get rid of a book.
   Enough about reading. What about writing? My ability to tell stories has provided for a successful career in media. I've reported and written for newspapers, a wire-service, local magazines, radio stations, and television stations. I worked my way up in the industry. First, I crafted the stories. Then, I coached, mentored, and managed the storytellers. I've spent the past decade on the management and business side of the fence leading teams and using my ability to tell stories, in written form, in video form, in live presentations, to serve the organizations within which I have worked and the needs of advertising and promotional clients. My written and creative work in journalism, advertising, and promotions has been informed by my love of reading and good writing. The end game for commercial creative is always to please the client and move more widgets. However, I've always tried to honor the craft of writing and author material of which I can be proud, even if I was the only one in the room and very far in the weeds in recognizing and appreciating a particular reference or pleasing turn of phrase in the work. Media, advertising, and journalism have been good to me. I've paid the bills and been very fulfilled in this career. You can guess what's next.
   But, I love fiction! I have written fiction sporadically and timidly over the years. I have rarely shown my work to others. I have never published a piece of fiction. I have yet to earn a single penny from my fiction writing. Would I love to accomplish all of those things? Absolutely. But, I am realistic. First, what I really want to do is originate, craft, and FINISH a fiction project. By admitting these things, by telling you about myself, by putting it out there publicly, I hope to push myself off of the sideline and onto the field of play.
   Which is why I am here. I hope to share my love of reading and writing with other folks who also care about these things. I hope to learn from your experiences and journey. I hope to learn more about how the world of professional writing works. I hope I can contribute and help others along the way. Mostly, I'm hoping that I will discover in this community voices, examples, and feedback to keep myself honest, encouraged, and motivated. I hope I will find in this community a gentle flame upon which I can warm my fingers when they freeze up from anxiety, fear, or self-doubt; small and timely courage to send me back to the keyboard, to persevere.
   I am excited to begin this particular writing journey.
Sincerely,
Gene

Offline thatollie

Re: TvTune - He's the New Guy. Hello!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 05:29:26 PM »
Welcome aboard.

Is Seveneves good? I'm a pretty big fan of Stephenson but haven't had a chance to get it yet.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 05:50:56 PM »
Welcome to My Writers Circle TV Tune,

Many of us started out as story tellers, some found it easy to switch to writing them, some had/have to work harder to making it all work. I was once accused of taking verbose pills, so it's needless to say, I fall into the latter group. Hope you have less trouble making the switch from one to the other.

Oh, one more thing, I didn't have any problem reading your introduction. But you'll find that many here and on other online sites ask that you leave some white space between paragraphs. Makes it easier to read for many rather than what is perceived as a wall of text.   

To make the time you spent here a good experience for you and others, plus, to learn your way around MWC, start by clicking and reading the link below.

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=7415.0

You'll find other Blue stick-pin (Stickies) at the top of the various boards to help you learn the ropes and made your time here more productive and enjoyable.

Don't forget to read and comment/critique on other members’ work before you ask the same from them.

The moderators are easy to spot due to all the blue stars floating above our heads. If you have a problem, we are happy to help in any way we can.

Smiles,
Alice - Deep in the Heart of Texas
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline mechobiz

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 06:02:27 PM »
Welcome along.

Offline TvTune

Seveneves
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 07:22:22 PM »
Welcome aboard.
Is Seveneves good? I'm a pretty big fan of Stephenson but haven't had a chance to get it yet.

Sprocket,
   As with all of Stephenson's stuff, I really enjoyed Seveneves and highly recommend it. He's one of the few authors on whom I'll splurge and buy the hard cover the first day it comes out. After reading Seveneves, I will continue to do this.
   I do feel that if I weigh character development/plot/sheer enjoyment of narrative against cool science & ideas/learning new stuff in Seveneves, the scale tips more towards the latter in this outing.
   Stephenson's works contain cutting edge ideas. His stories are populated by strong, interesting characters. And, in my opinion, Stephenson is an incredibly talented and razor-sharp craftsman. All of these things make me a Stephenson zealot and prompt me to recommend his work to every reader I meet. Just yesterday, I recommended Cryptonomicon to my dentist when he mentioned an interest in the Nazi Enigma machine.
   The point I'm trying to make about this particular book is that, as I read Seveneves, I found myself responding more often with "Oh, that's interesting" or "How, cool" about a novel idea or an ingenious solution one of the characters would apply to a problem and less with "Holy shit...lookout!" to a plot twist or with a spontaneous laugh at what a character would say or do.
   This is not the first Stephenson book I will be recommending to an uninitiated reader to get them hooked into reading his whole catalogue. That is one of my motivations when speaking with other readers about his work, i.e. "Oh, you're a banker. You read. Have you read Stephenson's Baroque Cycle?"
   Having said that, since you self-identify as a core Stephenson fan (Welcome brother!), then, yes, buy the book and read it now.  It's worth the full ticket price.
Happy Reading!
Gene

Offline TvTune

Newbie Welcome and Tips
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 07:30:11 PM »
Alice,

Thanks for the welcome note and the tips!

The white space item (just did it...see, I learn fast) is obvious and needed. I am grateful for your prompt.

I'll start checking out the other Stickies and clicking elsewhere to learn more.

Happy Writing!

Gene

Welcome to My Writers Circle TV Tune,

Many of us started out as story tellers, some found it easy to switch to writing them, some had/have to work harder to making it all work. I was once accused of taking verbose pills, so it's needless to say, I fall into the latter group. Hope you have less trouble making the switch from one to the other.

Oh, one more thing, I didn't have any problem reading your introduction. But you'll find that many here and on other online sites ask that you leave some white space between paragraphs. Makes it easier to read for many rather than what is perceived as a wall of text.   

To make the time you spent here a good experience for you and others, plus, to learn your way around MWC, start by clicking and reading the link below.

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=7415.0

You'll find other Blue stick-pin (Stickies) at the top of the various boards to help you learn the ropes and made your time here more productive and enjoyable.

Don't forget to read and comment/critique on other members’ work before you ask the same from them.

The moderators are easy to spot due to all the blue stars floating above our heads. If you have a problem, we are happy to help in any way we can.

Smiles,
Alice - Deep in the Heart of Texas

Offline TvTune

Welcome to TvTune
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 07:32:33 PM »
Mechobiz,

Thanks.  I look forward to participating.

Happy Writing!

Gene

Welcome along.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 07:51:30 PM »
It's awesome to hear someone talk so passionately about his work. Although, I'm surprised that you haven't participated on a forum before. I would have thought that since Neal invented the tablet, you'd be more techsavvy.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Laura H

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 08:55:13 PM »
Very nice to meet you, TvTune.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline TvTune

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 01:03:19 AM »
Very nice to meet you, TvTune.

Laura,

Nice to be here.

I like the animation at in the end notes of your post!

Gene