Author Topic: Short Script for Theater Final  (Read 2247 times)

Offline RyMC3

Short Script for Theater Final
« on: May 22, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
This is a short script I wrote for a theater final. I would like to know how easy it is to follow if performed in front of an audience, which it will be. Thanks!

A - Main Character
T - A’s girlfriend
R - A’s ex-best friend / best friend

A and T walk in holding hands.
A. What'd you wanna do today?
T. Just sit by the docks and watch the ducks, maybe.
Sit on edge of the stage.
A. I think we should get a sailboat one day.
T. What made you think that so quickly?
A. Just from watching that family over there. They're so happy.
T. Are you saying that you want artificial happiness?
A. What's artificial happiness?
T. It's when you see someone else happy with what their doing so you copy them to feel a slight satisfaction.
A. I'm not looking for artificial happiness. I've been happy.
T. No, you haven't been. I see the way that you act around Ryan. That's happy. You never act that way around me.
A. I've just been distracted.
T. With what?
A. What do you think happens when you die?
T. Why are you asking?
A. I don't know. I just don't have any answers.
T. You can't keep searching for answers that you can't find.
A. One day I might conclude an answer to prove the afterlife theory true or false!
T. There are seven billion people on this earth and not one can. Death is a mystery and it's something that we all go through.
A. I'm not trying to avoid death.
T. I know you're not. Except eventually you just have to give up on searching and face the cupcakes.
A. What are you trying to say?
T. You can't hold onto everyone forever.
A. I can try.
T. Everyone in the world changes.
A. So I just have to follow the flock.
T. You aren't getting it.
A. What are you getting at?
T. I'm trying to tell you that you have to let Ryan go.
A. I'm not going to abandon my best friend.
T. But what if he's already abandoned you.
Pause. T gets up and leaves.

A is still sitting on the edge of the stage.
R enters.

R. Hey, you wanted me to meet you here?
A. Yeah.
R. Well, what did you want to do? Basketball?
A. No, I think I'm done with basketball.
R. Why? You've gotten so much better. You're definitely going to make the team next year.
A. I don't wanna make the team next year.
R. You said-
A. No, you said, and have made it very clear, the only reason that you first hung out with me was because you thought I was rich. Well, you obviously saw I wasn't. So why are you still here?
R. … I did start to hang out with you because I thought you were rich. Except I stayed because we had so much in common. And we still do.
A. We don't. We have NOTHING in common.. It's all an act..
R. What?
A. You started hanging out with Tyler. I saw all the Snapchat stories, the Instagram posts, and the Facebook... I don't know. I felt abandoned. But then I tried to change myself for you. Sure enough you came running back. But during the process, I've realized something. If I can't be who I am around you without being judged, then I guess you can go screw yourself.
R. I'm sorry I made you feel forgotten. I never meant to, it was just that-
A. I don't care what it is, what it does, or what is isn't, I'm sick of excuses from your sorry ass.
R. They're not excuses, they're the truth!
A. You've told me lies this entire time!
R. Why are you like this?
A. Because I lied to myself. I told myself that I had a best friend and that friendship is just doing favors for your friend because I thought my best friend was cool and that I had someone by my side.
R. Friendship is about hanging out and having fun.
A.We haven’t hung out in a year… All you did was tell me excuses.
R. They were genuine excuses. Everyone makes them.
A. How many of your excuses were lies?
R. … All of them.
A looks at R for a moment, realizing T standing behind R. T nods sadly. A looks back at R.
A. … Have a nice life then.
A walks out.

I was mostly trying to show the relationship between A and R, not so much of T.
Please let me know how easy it is to follow and such. Thanks :)

hillwalker3000

Re: Short Script for Theater Final
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 07:07:36 AM »
It was difficult following the dialogue on-screen when all we have are three initials to identify the characters. I had to keep reminding myself who was who - and what their relationship with each other was.

I'd consider changing each initial to a name a fundamental requirement - if A is Adam, T is Tyler and R is Ryan at least we know the gender of each character and can picture them in our heads every time they speak.

Other than that I understood what was happening - although you seem to be trying to cram an awful lot of personal history and interaction into a short space of time. But since I guess you're not asking for feedback on the actual script I'll say nothing further.

H3K

Offline Samuel96

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 08:43:02 PM »
I'd agree with H3K that if you changed the initials to names then it would be much easier to follow.

Offline Lucas_Knight

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 04:12:03 PM »
I have to be honest when I say that it was very difficult keeping track of characters when they have no "official" name. There is so much trying to be said in dialogue that at times I almost forgot who was who.