Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Ann

• Fritheir Arts
Introduction
« on: October 25, 2006, 06:20:13 AM »
Dear Fellow Writers

I'm introducing myself, per forum etiquette, as a new member of my Writers Circle. As a teenager, many aeons ago, I would write short stories and send them off, in longhand, for publication.  I didn't have any success, but at 14 it never crossed my mind that a comic for girls which published stories about ballerinas and horseriding, (it was called The Bunty), was unlikely to publish my science fiction story about a tree which turns out to be a being from another galaxy.  :-[  Later in life, I went in for painting.   

Coming back to writing has been a bit of an unexpected shock and I never thought I'd be trying to write fiction again. Enough!  It's a long story ... but I'm here now because I've just skimmed through Nick Daws' Mini Course on How to Write a Book in 28 Days.  I am a VERY SLOW writer. Even after just skimming the course, however, I found myself writing a 750 word essay (for a competition) very fast!  It's a miracle!  Two days work in fact, which is super-fast for this old tortoise! So I've bought the CD Rom of the complete course and am eagerly awaiting its receipt.

I'm looking forward to participating in this forum.  I doubt I'll be of much use to anybody else, but I'll try.

:)

Ann

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. (Charles Horton Cooley)

Offline *Lorraine*

• The sun always shines in Cognito-by-the-Sea
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 06:30:50 AM »
Welcome Ann

I'm still quite a newbie here myself and I'm old enough to remember Bunty!  :)

Glad to hear that you feel inspired to write again.  You've come to the right place to post and read a wide variety of material.

Looking forward to seeing you around on the boards.  Have fun!

Lorraine
( ) ( )
(>'.'<)
(")  (") 

Rabbit Welfare Fund : Because Rabbits Deserve Better

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 06:47:18 AM »
I'm looking forward to participating in this forum.  I doubt I'll be of much use to anybody else, but I'll try.

Welcome Ann, glad you've joined us. 

You never know what comment someone else will find useful.  So read, comment when you feel like it, and enjoy.

MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 07:11:29 AM »
Welcome and dive right in ;D

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 07:42:02 AM »
I doubt I'll be of much use to anybody else, but I'll try.

I frown upon self-dissing!  >:(  we are going to have enough challenges ahead sorting out editors, publishers, critics...  ;D  So, positive mental attitude please!  We are all talents, ages (er, yes I remember Bunty, but I preferred Sparky and Beano), and are here to be mutually supportive, encouraging and constructive.

Right - here comes the official bit!

Welcome to mywritercircle.com from all the Moderators and Members on the site.  We look forward to your posts  and hope you will join us to review other member's stories and poems, and leave comments on the forum to help everyone.

Everything you need is here, ask questions, learn from other posts and ask the Moderators if you need assistance with navigation around the web site. 

There is a Frequently Asked Questions  in the Author's Resource Centre (ARC) please use the SEARCH facility if you want to find a particular topic and lots of help is at hand if you get stuck along the way

Writers of all age groups are members some are as young as 9 years and still at school so please be careful with use of certain words/topics which may offend or be inappropriate.  We welcome everyone and the site is moderated constantly so is a very safe place for writers of all ages/genres. 

Please make sure you are logged on each time with your password if you want to post a topic.

All the best to you

Carrie, Lin, Jillanne, Symphony,Aelfwin, & Nick
Moderators
mywriterscircle.com

N.Mott

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 07:43:41 AM »
Welcome aboard Ann,

My sister read Bunty but I was more into Enid Blyton and Sci-fi - it seemed the logical combination at the time.

Get stuck in and keep writing!

- Naomi

Offline oliver

• Abandoned children often live with their parents
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 08:10:06 AM »
Hi Ann, welcome and enjoy the site. Oliver
Where there is kindness to animals, everything else may be taken for granted.
Judge a person's character by how they treat animals and how that person will treat those who can do nothing for them.

nassj

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 06:10:39 PM »
Hello, welcome.

Offline Vincent U

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 02:41:33 AM »
Ann,
i'm newbie myself.  I know how you feel about whether you'll be of any help.  I don't know if i'd be much help either, considering i'm foreign to Enlish and new to writing.  But i'll try to start off reading other's work on this forum.  At first, maybe reluctant to comment, but once i gain a little confidence, i'll try to contribute.

I also ordered the same online course by Nick.  There is golden information in that course.  I've been writing like crazy since i read his course, mostly scribbling on my laptop, most of which don't make too much sense.  I'm sure more and more sense will come out of my writing in time. I thought I'm no a great writier.  Then, i have to remind myself that i'm not a native English speaker, so it'll take some time.  Writing makes me feel better.  I'm preparing to write a book on eye and vision care.  At the same time I'm still learning basic grammar. I enjoy interacting with everyone in here.

Have fun writing.

vincent

Offline Ann

• Fritheir Arts
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 08:53:14 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Vincent.  I've just got Nick's CD this morning (only 2 days to France).  What's your native language? :)

Hello, welcome.

Thank you Candy Floss. :)

Hi Ann, welcome and enjoy the site. Oliver

Thank you Oliver. :)

Welcome aboard Ann,

My sister read Bunty but I was more into Enid Blyton and Sci-fi - it seemed the logical combination at the time.

Get stuck in and keep writing!

- Naomi

I am like you - I used equally to like my kid brother's Superman and Batman comics.  But I'd read anything I could lay my hands on.

Welcome to mywritercircle.com from all the Moderators and Members on the site.  We look forward to your posts  and hope you will join us to review other member's stories and poems, and leave comments on the forum to help everyone.

Thank you very much for the welcome, Moderators.   :)

JMJ

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 10:00:30 AM »
Welcome.  I only joined a couple of days ago too.  I haven't done much writing either.  I started when I discovered Louise Doughty's Novel in a Year Course at the Daily Telegraph.  I have my idea but I'm still floundering with the writing.  Your CD rom sounds good.  I might look into getting that.

Offline Ann

• Fritheir Arts
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 03:47:12 PM »
Welcome.  I only joined a couple of days ago too.  I haven't done much writing either.  I started when I discovered Louise Doughty's Novel in a Year Course at the Daily Telegraph.  I have my idea but I'm still floundering with the writing.  Your CD rom sounds good.  I might look into getting that.

I think I've heard of 'Novel in a Year'.  I'll have to investigate ... The CD Rom is Nick (Daws') Write a Book in 28 Days.  I had a quick look at it after finding it in my post box this morning.  I'm already intrigued!  The freebies included are worthwhile too!

Good luck

Ann

Offline Gltagaman

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 05:26:05 PM »
Hi Ann

Welcome to the MWC madhouse from one who'se been here a long time and still consider myself sane.

Where are you in France? A mercenary question but I have an unpublished novel, still undergoing rewrites based in Normandy and the Loire and need comments as to whether I have got the locations and language right. I briefly had an editor based in France who disliked my French heroine 'I think she is a trollop! I throw the book in the corner!'

I look forward to seeing your posts.

Good luck

Geoff
Have Thinkpad will write

Offline sugy

• A baby squirrel.
    • Golf Grumble
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 02:49:50 AM »
Welcome Ann. Have a great time here. It is real good to be here.

Sugy.

Offline Ann

• Fritheir Arts
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 04:38:05 AM »
Hi Ann

Welcome to the MWC madhouse from one who'se been here a long time and still consider myself sane.

Where are you in France? A mercenary question but I have an unpublished novel, still undergoing rewrites based in Normandy and the Loire and need comments as to whether I have got the locations and language right. I briefly had an editor based in France who disliked my French heroine 'I think she is a trollop! I throw the book in the corner!'

I look forward to seeing your posts.

Good luck

Geoff

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the welcome.  I'm interested in your novel.  I'm in Paris sometimes and Eure et Loir (Normandy really) sometimes.  Know the Loire quite well.  Looking forward to meeting your trollop!  What do you want to do, post some of it?  I'm writing a short story based in Normandy and Paris - well, first draft is finished.  It keeps getting longer and longer and the characters write scenes for themselves, so how it will end up I don't know!

Ann