Author Topic: Is it rough getting your first book published?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline mysterynovice

• View Profile
Is it rough getting your first book published?
« on: February 17, 2006, 06:25:03 PM »
Hello everyone,I just have to know how hard is it exactly getting your first book published ???

Lin

Re: Is it rough getting your first book published?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 07:02:56 AM »
Hello MV

I would say it can be a trying time looking for "the perfect publisher", but on this forum are lots of members who are willing to provide advice and would be happy to help you find one.  I think finding a publisher is the easy part, its whether or not they like your work enough to read more of it and accept it. Presentation is very important and ensuring that your spelling and punctuation are correct in order to impress.     But there are ways and means so read on..............

The main thing is to read as much as you can.   I suggest you look at our Frequently Asked Questions forum on My Writers Circle.   There you will find some advice about getting an Agent for example and it shows you what to do.

Once your book is up and running and ready for editing etc etc you can ask for help on this Forum.   I personally suggest you do what I did and read about it all.   I read "Getting your Book Published for Dummies."   I was quite green to publishing and still learning.      Nick Daws Course is very good, he shows you How to Write a Book in 28 days or Less and is the founder Moderator on this site.  Look out for him.   

Your age, as you mention, should not be a factor in your writing.   You do seem rather grown up to me and able to appreciate what we are trying to do here.   

There are various ways of having a book published and Im sure that those members on the forum will provide you with lots of advice, do's and don'ts, who is who and what you should avoid etc.

So keep calling in each day to see who has replied to your subject and I am sure this will be full of replies by the end of next week!!

Lin - Site Moderator

« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 07:07:45 AM by Lin »

Offline mysterynovice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 07:56:11 AM »
Hello Lin thanks and I will be sure to keep your advice in mind :)

MV ;D

Dale Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 10:26:23 AM »
Hi mysterynovice,

Now there's a question I could write a book about.

There are many factors that determine how hard it is for an author to get published. 99% have to do with you, and how you present yourself to the publishing world. Only 1% have to do with what you've written. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I'm trying to make a point.

Be professional in every way. Learn how to present yourself and your work, and know what it is that agents and publishers want to see from you. One of my favorite movie lines was delivered by Robert Redford in the movie, The Spy Game. "When did Noah build the ark, Gladys? Before the rain...before the rain."

Do your homework before you submit, not after you've collected 50 rejection letters.

Dale

Lin

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 10:50:01 AM »
Good Advice Dale, Thank you

Lin

Offline mysterynovice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 02:51:33 PM »
Hello Dale and thanks for the advice.You too Lin.Although you all don't know me very well now,I do a lot of homework before I do anything.Most of my associates say I shoud'nt spend a lifetime planning for a lifetime but thats just me I'm very patient and skeptical.I have to say it myself I don't have fun maybe I will when I get older...but I'll have plenty af time for that nonsense. Besides it's writing that interests me not late night paryting and 6 am hangovers :)

Hope to hear from you soon,and thanks for the advice.

MV ;D