Author Topic: motivation?  (Read 2413 times)

Offline mary

• Me and my therapy dog, Woof
motivation?
« on: February 17, 2006, 06:24:34 PM »
HI All,

So I got a new motivator today. 8 inches of snow on a gravel back road and the only reason to go out the door is to let Woof my dog out to do her stuff.  Hours in front of the computer trying to be creative. Gosh I would write 20 page reports in far less time than six pages of story. How come that is? mary

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
Re: motivation?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 10:04:24 AM »
Hello Mary,

Amazing how easy it is to write pages and pages of mindless 'reports', isn't it?

So why does it take longer to write 6 pages of fiction? Firstly, let me say how impressed I am that you've written 6 pages in a sitting! That's a lot (in my book, anyway - 'scuse pun!!  ::)). It takes longer because you don't WANT what you write to be mindless - to end up at the bottom of a pile on somebody's desk; to be 'just another report'. You want what you write to matter!!

I also find it strange that sometimes you can sit down and write and it feels like it's an uphill struggle, but suddenly you find you've written 5000 words. At other times you feel like you're really on a roll, with a great idea - and yet you find you've barely written 1000!!

'Tis an odd world ...  ???

Take pride in those six pages! Glad you stopped and popped in for a cuppa! Would you like some crisps or nibbles? 

Symphony

Offline mary

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 11:33:43 AM »
Thanks Symphony,

I appreciate the kudo. i guess it's just what I needed. Pass on the nibbles 'cause I'm already round for a reason. Well, I awoke to -22 degress this morning so I'll see what I can pull outta my hat while the day warms up. All good luck on your endeavors today. mary

Offline mysterynovice

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 03:27:23 PM »
Hello mary And Symphony.It's MV.I find that it isn't brightness that motivates me but darkness.I know this may sound weird...but if I sit in the dark for at least thirty minutes I find that I  can come up with all sorts of long discriptive fiction stories.About life and the way people think.Well most of my ideas have to do with the way people think.I think it's a psychological thing but the darkness helps me lots,maybe you should try it :)

Hope to speak with you soon,

MV ;)

Offline Gltagaman

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 03:51:22 PM »
Hi Mary, Symphony and Mysterynovice.

I find that inspiration comes to me sometimes when I brush my teeth. it must be like comparing the effect of the Sensodyne toothpaste to the 'Liquid napalm' referred to in my comment to Doina.

The motivation comes when you need to have something to read to a Writers group in an hour's time and some snippet comes up on the news or in a conversation that just seems to trigger the flow of words. I suppose it comes from my previous habit preparing reports on a 'Just In Time' basis when I was in industry. The motivation in these cases comes from wishing to avoid the sense of shame if I fail.

My wife just came in with a cup of tea, noticed the topic and commented that I only get motivated if I am going to get praised. I'm not sure, coming from that source, whether that's the carrot or the stick!

The hardest motivation I experience comes in editing my work when someone has reviewed it harshly. I paid for a critique of my first draft of my novel and got flayed. The reviewer seemed to disagree with everything from the title to the denoument at the end. I hardly dared to read the red lettered critique again for a year before commencing the rewrite.

How do others get motivated?

Geoff

Have Thinkpad will write

Offline mary

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 05:11:27 PM »
Hi,

A prick hurts less than a slash. Therefore the question comes "Do I want to suffer many many pricks or a few slashes.
  Metaphor explained; if you send your work out in pieces for crits then you will get a few pricks and even delete some because they don't apply and therefore don't hurt. But you have to be able to endure a bunch at a time.  If you send out to someone who is paid to slash you will probaply get all you paid for and then be left with the healing process.

I've been a college instructor and have learned that red has become a demorilizer when crit-ing a student. I use green or purple ink and my suggestions are taken as that....suggestions. When I first used red my students whould become defensive and even fall into weepy fits. Not good for either of us and my students did not grow. So a simple change in ink color made a big difference. If you value your slasher's remarks ask him/her to ditch the red ink. However if the slashing process is just too painful, ditch the slasher.  Feeling a little better?  Hope so. mary

Offline mccpcorn

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 04:03:20 AM »
Motivation?  What's that?  ::)

jmack

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 08:32:53 AM »
While this does not relate to the original topic it seems we've headed into the dark and gloomy area of "criticism". Oh, if only we could take it as "constructive criticism". Well, if my two cents are worth anything, I recently read a very interesting book by Norman Mailer called "The Spooky Art". Basically a collection of essays dealing with writing. I recommend it to one and all. Anyway, to cut a long story short, he has written at length on the topic of criticism. And, in the final analysis, he simply states that if a writer cannot take a total flaying, then they're in the wrong business. Forget a few disagreements here and there -- he's talking about being torn apart.

He uses many examples. But for some reason, critics of writing, as opposed to other fields, have no qualms about insulting the writer in the most horrible ways imaginable. Now, I don't have an iron hide yet, but I'm trying . . . good lord, I'm trying.

One funny section of the chapter is a full page ad he took out in a New York newspaper promoting his book by quoting all the scathing reviews by some of the top critics of his time. Imagine receiving these from the highest paid critics around: "This year's worst snake pit", "Sordid . . . crummy",  "Moronic mindlessness . . .  Golden garbage heap", "Disgusting", "Exasperating", "Gauche", "Unfair", "Undiscriminating", "Embarrassing", "Unsavory", "Nasty", "Silly", "Dull", "Botch", and finally "A bunch of bums".

Gotta love the gall of Mailer though . . . that's a classy way of responding if you ask me.

Offline fett80

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 09:03:16 PM »
Hmmmmm.........I often wonder why the critic, be it for books, film, music, or anything else for that matter has no qualms about being absolutely nasty in their reviews (oftentimes to the point of forgetting the book altogether and lashing out at the author instead), but struggle to give credit when it's due.  Perhaps they have no innovative or unique ideas of their own?  Who knows.

Back to the topic of motivation, I think coming up with the blueprint of a novel, an outline if you will, is the part that gives me the greatest boost, because all of these people and places I've created are brand new and the possibilities in front of me (and them) are limitless.  It's once I get going with the actual process of writing where I stumble.  I definitely have no tried and true method of pushing myself to continue with the story, other than anticipation of what I'll do with the characters, what turns the plot will take.  In other words, if I already know from the outset exactly where each story arc within the book will go, then I've lost most of my motivation.

deathblackfox

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 11:32:14 PM »
That is actually quiet simple. When we do a report they are asking us to talk about some kind of facts or something that happened before. I can do them at the same speed because I am able to pull things out of my mind that sound real and then put them on a report and find they're real. For many other people though when the story is at hand they have to use the thing called the imagination. I lost my imagination though when a eagle swooped down and grabbed it. Last I heard it was doing some kind of skydiving stunts on the moon. Go figure  ::) silly imaginations!