Author Topic: Two Short shorts.  (Read 1203 times)

Offline jjamato

Two Short shorts.
« on: March 17, 2015, 02:25:50 PM »
These were a writing excersize in a creative writing class I took.  It involved a random character and location.  I had fun with them.

First

They called him crazy.  He lived on the streets, a beggar.  Holding signs up nobody could read.  Holding out a hat with despair in his eyes.  Communicating with hand signals and facial expressions.  Destitute and broken.  Most striking is the look of pity and loss.  Pity for us, loss for his heritage.
Mars Has no room for English.

(The character was a 50's English Professor, homless.  The location was Mars.)

Second

Don Vito always dreamed of retiring to the Carribean.  He planned on amassing his wealth and living a life of luxury.  He ran rackets, extoreted and black mailed.  Several lucrative prostitution rings were his as well.  He had millions in the bank.  He was a man headed for fame easy living.  Life was good.

Just not for Don Vito.

Clinging to a piece of wreckage floating off the coast of Cuba, sharks circling nearer.  Irony is only fun for the witnesses.

If only sharks could smirk.

(Challenge was a retired gangster and the location was the Carribean.)

I loved these challenges.  Working with a random character and location took a lot of creative pressure off allowing me to have fun.  I haven't noticed anything similar on the site, maybe a new challenge?

Offline bailish

Re: Two Short shorts.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 02:15:30 AM »
Did you say short shorts?

Anyway, I liked the second one more. I had a harder time justifying unemployment on Mars.

Offline Clarius

Re: Two Short shorts.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:38:48 AM »
Who likes short shorts? We like short shorts.

I sometimes use random numbers to select generic location, genre, and a gender/sexuality, ambition, and flaw for both protagonist and antagonist then mind-map from these to generate writing prompts.
O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us

- Robert Burns