Author Topic: I must be getting old. I'm excited at the though of my new mattress arriving.  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Sorry, no exciting stuff like wrestling The Duvet Of Doom out of its packaging a few years back.

The old mattress was worn so thin - packed down to a bare half inch in the middle and a pretty soft and gutless three inches or so at each side - I just rolled it up, carried it through to the bathroom, and shoved it out of the window.  It's now in the alcove, waiting to be 'dealt with'.

The new one was nearly as easy.  It arrived gently folded in half and sealed up in plastic. At only just just over thirty inches wide it made a fairly neat bundle.

So I just walked it up the stairs as it was, tipping it end-over-end.  Just like the way I used to get logs back to the caravan when I was a kid ;-)  The stockinette cover would have dragged like hell if I'd  unwrapped it first.  Getting it through my room door and past various crates and cupboards was a bit of a squeeze, especially as I had to get through as well.  But the end-over-end trick still worked, but with me leading instead of following.

Then I just lifted it onto the bed, carefully unwrapped the plastic and let it unfold into place.  It grabbed a bit against the wooden base, but not much.  Then I tucked in the fitted sheet and that was it.

Like fixing the office chair the other day, it was almost an anti-climax.   Being cut to size it fits perfectly.  Lovely and firm.

But I need new pillow(s) to go with it now.  I might just end up ordering a foam wedge one from the same firm.

It's only a few inches more, but it feels much higher.

The only downside was the stink of new foam.  Having the window open all day let it dissipate, but my room felt like an icebox.

Gyppo

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:50:14 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
Ah the Duvet Of Doom, I remember that one  :D

Hopefully the smell will be gone in a hurry mate.
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline thatollie

To be fair to the Duvet of Doom, it was a more entertaining story than this one.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
The Duvet of Doom was a nightmare, but even as it happened I could see the funny side.

The new mattress has been so straightforward it's unbelievable. 

The first night felt odd, but definitely less aches and pains in the morning.

The second night it just felt right.

Money well spent.

Gyppo

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline WordBird

The Duvet of Doom not only offered me wholesome belly laughs then, but I often recall the story and laugh even now. It was quite entertaining.  :D

But I am glad you got through this purchase without getting all wrapped up in it. LMAO!!