Author Topic: I must be getting old. I'm excited at the though of my new mattress arriving.  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
If it's as good as I expect it to be you may find me missing for a week if I slip into hibernation ;-)

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Simple Things

Oh, there is few things finer than a brand spanking new mattress. I'm so jellyyyyy :). Sleep well.

Offline Clarius

Victorian Wood (British comedienne) once said that old age is when a woman walks past a shoe shop and thinks 'oh, those look comfy.'
O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us

- Robert Burns

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
Yay Gyp, how much longer before it arrives mate?
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
Wednesday or Thursday according to the advert.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
I've just done a rough calculation and I reckon the old one must be about twenty years old ;-)

Offline Laura H

So was mine when we finally replaced it. At this rate, I'll only ever have three or maybe four in my lifetime.

Enjoy the new mattress, Gyppo.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Clarius

Did you carry it out the door, or point it in the right direction. Only slaggin', big man. *

Only slaggin' is A Norn Iron get out of jail free card that allows you be as ignorant as you like as long as you suffix the barb with that phrase. Best used in situations where you're out of arm's length, and never to members of the PSNI who are a dour bunch of...

;D
O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us

- Robert Burns

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
I may roll it up loosely, douse it in paraffin, and give it a Viking's funeral in the back garden.   there's no metal bits in there to deal with afterwards. It's been a long time since I had a fire...

Offline fire-fly

:D :D

Sticky neighbour will call the fuzz mate.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
Maybe I should lay out a dress-maker's mannequin on top and pretend I'm sacrificing a virgin.  Local Legends need a bit of maintenance now and then ;-)

Offline fire-fly

;D ;D

You best be getting that on film and emailing it. >:D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
It arrived about midday today (Wednesday).

Why can't other firms be as good as this?  Why does so much online ordering involve wading through options for special offers, or offers of other things 'which may be of interest'?

This was a straightforward business transaction, with a businesslike order page.  Not a pretty squiggle in sight ;-)  Nearly as simple as walking into a shop and handing over a wad of notes.  I didn't even have to open an account with the firm - which usually involves another page of waffle - although the option was there if I wanted.

I didn't place the order until around midday Tuesday.  (That's right, only yesterday.)  I didn't order it on Monday as planned because we had hospital appointments to keep on Tuesday and had a horrible feeling they'd try and deliver while we were out.  I would have been right.

I lost the connection during the final stages of ordering - and remembering the debacle of nearly buying three computers last year through the same problem I decided to play safe.  A swift email was sent and they promptly confirmed that the order had been completed, and would be processed on Wednesday, for delivery on Thursday or Friday at the latest.  I guess it was cut and packed the same day.  Quite literally a 24 hour job.

The little Parcel Force lady lugged it down the path without using with her sack truck.  I reckon it weighs about fifty pounds, maybe a bit more.  I'm comparing it with sacks of spuds which weighed fifty-six.  She described it as 'a bit heavy, but manageable'.  Probably about half her bodyweight ;-)

Being new foam it stinks a bit, so my windows are wide open unless the rain starts hitting them.

I love it.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:38:08 AM by Gyppo »

Offline thatollie

Wow, they sound right good.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline fire-fly

Geez mate, you can't complain about that service for sure.

If we want to take an old mattress to the dump in Oz, it costs us $25 to dump it or you strip it back to get the inner springs out of it and dump them separate, one to the general waste and the springs to the metal. I can see why a lot dump them in the bush. Glad you have no springs in the old one.

Was it a marathon getting one downstairs and the other up?