Author Topic: Winner Announced Flash Fiction #: 94 Challenge  (Read 2849 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Winner Announced Flash Fiction #: 94 Challenge
« on: November 13, 2014, 06:40:25 PM »
Okay – for this flash fiction I would like you to include some negotiation in your story. We all have to develop alliances and create pacts – so space opera, domestic soap, business empires, romantic tangles can all work this angle. Get someone on your side . . . they might betray you or they might fight alongside you for the thing you are after, could be an apparent enemy or an unlikely recruit. Plenty of opportunity to show conflict when your character faces a dilemma. ;)

Word limit 600 words [title not included in the count]
PM me with your entries by 11:59pm Friday 21st November.

Have fun.
 :D ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:33:18 PM by fire-fly »

Offline Laura H

Re: Flash Fiction Challenge
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 06:43:10 PM »
Good one, Sio.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline 510bhan

Re: STICKY: Flash Fiction #: 94 Challenge
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:23:50 PM »
First entry in -- thank you. Still time for more contenders. ;D

Offline 510bhan

Re: STICKY: Winner Flash Fiction #: 94 Challenge
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:59:56 PM »
Well . . . the contest ended with only one entrant, so I declare the winner: VOGEL Thank you for your entry, sorry there was no competition for it. ::)

Congratulations, Vogel.  :-* ;)

Lots of folks are busy Nano-ing -- I know! :o

ZOO ANIMALS

“We’ve been here too long. We’ve tried everything—begging, suicide, even breaking out. Nothing’s worked. Can we at least leave it up for negotiation?”

“You’ll give them nasty ideas,” Bunny said. She yanked a gray hair from her half-bald head, then shoved it in her mouth.  “And I’m a virgin.”

“Crazy old bat’s got a point,” Kitty said, glancing up from the same magazine she read every day. “What if they let them freak-shows in and turn this into a petting-zoo?”

I pleaded with Tony. “Their young tap the glass to get our attention. They giggle at us, like we’re family entertainment. We’ve all been to a zoo. We’re just on the wrong side of the glass now. They must pay to bring their families here to see us. Our best plan is to drive away paying guests. And what makes parents most uncomfortable?”

“Sex.”

“Right. If we expose ourselves in front of the families, they won’t want us anymore. They’ll free us.”

“I see your point, Little Bird,” Tony said, then addressed Kitty, “Tony the Gay Tiger performing live in the nude. And his three backups—the White Dove, your fat ass, and Bald Bunny. Bad for business, good for us. They’ll fire us and hire replacements.”

He gave a girlish wave and curtseyed. I laughed. Kitty shot him a bird.

“Come on, Big Kitty” said Tony. “Let’s at least try. Maybe she’s right and they won’t put us down. And we’ll get to go home. I have to admit, it’s got me curious.”

“Curiosity killed the cat,” said Kitty.

“They healed you, so they can’t be all bad. You were half-dead when you got here.”

“She could still stand to lose a few pounds,” said Bunny.

Kitty threw her magazine. It hit the wall above Bunny’s head. “I ain’t showing my stuff to those nasty creatures. Ya’ll are crazy.”

“If it works, then you know what to do. But promise you won’t leave Bunny.”

Kitty shrugged. “Okay. You first.”

“Only one way to get out of here,” said Bunny.

“Yeah, we know. Death.”

“There’s another way, but I can’t remember. And it’s worse than death.”

“What they’ve done to you hasn’t been any worse than an annual pap smear,” said Kitty. “How many you had so far, Bunny? At your age, what? Seventy?”

“I'm sixty-two. I’ll remember the way out in a minute.”

“Too late.” Tony pointed to the window. “We got visitors. Probably the only ones we’ll get all day.”
He pulled his pants down and gestured me over. I hesitated, feeling queasy. He jiggled his junk to the beat of the never-ending elevator music.

Three little devils looked in the window. Pickle-like skin, sharp puppy-teeth and black fly-eyes. Terrified, I lifted my shirt and pressed myself against the window. The smallest tapped the glass, pointing at me.

An alarm sounded.

“That got their attention!” Tony shouted. We high-fived.

“Wait!” Kitty said, struggling with her belt. “Don’t leave me.”

“Congratulations, Alexandra!” said a human-voice over the intercom. “You’re officially adopted! You ready to meet your new owners?”

Horrified, I looked at Tony. His mouth fell open. He said: “Wait? This ain’t no zoo?”

“Now I remember,” Bunny said, throwing up a finger. “We’re in a human-pound for perverted aliens. You must appeal to them sexually.”

Kitty burst out laughing. “Wait? You mean Little Bird’s gonna be an alien sex-slave?”

“Yep."

An alien appeared, holding a tranquilizer gun.

“Bye, bye, Birdie,” Bunny said, smiling and waving.

I was conscious long enough to see the corridor of cells, with identical windows as far as I could see.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:02:10 PM by 510bhan »

Offline Vogel

Re: STICKY: Winner Announced Flash Fiction #: 94 Challenge
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »
Thanks, Sio. Though there wasn't a competition, I don't feel as if I wasted my time. I enjoyed the writing experience. Will post the next challenge shortly.

Offline Laura H

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 07:15:14 PM »
Congratulations, Vogel. I have to think it's just a busy time of year, because it certainly was a good prompt.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Vogel

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 08:05:58 PM »
I have to think it's just a busy time of year, because it certainly was a good prompt.

I think so too.

Offline heidi52

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 06:45:17 AM »
If it wasn't for NANO you would have had more competition, but you probably would have won anyway, so CONGRATULATIONS nonetheless.

Offline MiggsEye

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »
Congratulations Vogel!
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try” — Dr. Seuss

Offline Vogel

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 06:55:34 PM »
Thanks  ;D

Offline lan

• Ook.
    • Author page
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 08:09:04 AM »
Nice one Vogel.

Doesn't "Vogel" mean "bird" in German?  ;D
http://45thnail.com
http://ianlahey.wixsite.com/author
"Words is just words without the place."
Sgt. James Savorski

Offline Vogel

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 08:53:57 AM »
Yes it does, Ian. And that was intentional. I'm glad you picked up on it.

Offline Rho

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Congrats, you gotta be in it to win it.
It's a strange magic