Poll

Which story do you prefer?

A Favor
5 (41.7%)
The Jogging Club
7 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: October 26, 2014, 08:29:01 AM

Author Topic: Winner: Voting Flash Fiction #92  (Read 2899 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Winner: Voting Flash Fiction #92
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:29:01 AM »
The challenge was to show a person who is a ‘duck out of water’ so to speak in under 600 words. Only two entries -- but very different, you'll have trouble casting your vote. >:D >:D >:D Enjoy. ;D

Voting will close after 7 seven days, so lunchtime Sunday 26th [UK] should see the winner announced.

And the winner is  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D -- Inseriousity with The Jogging Club. Congratulations -- next contest over to you.

Congratulations also to the runner up. :D

Thank you for the reads. ;)

A Favor

She swayed up the walk and knocked on my RV door. This time she was alone. Perfect timing, I had just taken a shower and put a towel around my waist as I opened the door. She stood under the awning to avoid the early morning down pour, her trench coat wrapped tight around curves I hadn't noticed the last time she was here. The coat barely reached her mid-thigh. I felt a rush as my blood pressure rose. “My favorite DEA agent. Back so soon?”

“Good morning, James. I bet I'm the only DEA agent you know. Can I come in?”

I guess she didn't care about my wardrobe. Things could get interesting. “Anything for the war on drugs. Step right in.”

She closed the door behind her and twisted the deadbolt. “Look James, I know my visit last week probably ticked you off.  I want to make amends.”

“What do you really want, Vicky?” She looked at my towel and the slight bulge in it. I sucked in my gut. When was the last time I worked out? Never mind.

“Maybe I don't want anything. Maybe I want to give you something.” She slipped off her coat and stood there, buck naked. Whoops, my towel fell to the floor. Her gaze travelled down, “I guess you're happy to see me, James?” She patted my butt as she walked past me, toward the bedroom. Who am I to question the interrogation methods of a beautiful DEA agent?

She teased, “I hope your RV stabilizer jacks are down. I'm going to bounce you off the bed springs.”

All I could think was don't ask, don't tell. Just enjoy the ride. “Aye aye, Ma'am. The jacks are fully deployed.”

Vicky looked back at me, “And keep that mizzenmast erect, sailor. Come in here and lie down.”

To say that Vicky is a take-charge, take-no-guff person is major understatement. I considered myself up to the task but she won the battle of libidos, hands down. Or should I say hands all over the place. Nearly two hours later, exhausted from the military-style calisthenics, more demanding than any BUD/S training instructor could dream up, I asked Vicky once again, “Okay, what do you want from me?”

She smiled wickedly, “I thought you'd never ask.”

“Ha. You're game is transparent, but I admit I'm a willing player. Give it up.”

“You're so smart, James. As a matter of fact, I do want you to do me a little itty bitty favor. Our analysts have been unable to decipher the directions on the map. It's obvious there's a cache of diamonds somewhere on the island, but that's all we've got. I need hard evidence to nail Campinera. State Department flunkies are trying to get Bahamian authorities to allow a search but all I get is one delay after another.”

“Why am I not surprised?”

She pressed closer and reached beneath the sheet. “Do you think you and your partner could do a little unofficial recon?” She squeezed. I groaned. She purred. I said yes. Clearly I am the victim of enhanced interrogation techniques. I was putty in her hands but she needed hard evidence. Oh well, duty calls. I'll visit the island tomorrow.

The Jogging Club

Just keep jogging. Keep going and I can treat myself to a chocolate éclair when it’s all over. The stitch ached in my side as I tried to keep up with the other ladies. We were on our daily morning jog around the lake. I had been invited along by Janette, who was at the front of the group, her long hair swaying gently as she ran, making it look easy. Almost as if she knew I was watching her, she turned her head to look at me and smiled encouragingly. “Come on Susie, you can do it.” I had been stupid to agree to this as I urged my legs to keep going but Janette had kindly pressured me into it. “Oh but you must come, I insist.” Killing me with a smile.

I was hoping that we’d get to stop soon but I knew that Janette would keep pushing us around this lake a few more times. We had only got halfway round the first lap and already I wanted to stop. If I did, the other ladies in the group would smile at me to my face, jeer and laugh at me behind my back. Janette stopped suddenly and I almost ran into Helen in front of me. A reprieve, finally!

“Aww, you poor thing,” said Janette, bending down to look at something lying in the grass. I walked round to get closer to what she was looking at. It was a duck, lying on its side. It didn’t look like it was breathing. “What’s wrong with it?” No-one answered me. We just didn’t know. Helen piped up. “Give it mouth to mouth.”  Janette laughed and Suzie could tell that Helen had said the wrong thing. “It doesn’t even have a mouth. You can be so silly sometimes, Helen. I know what to do. We have to pump its chest to the beat of Staying Alive; I saw it on an advert once.”

In her eagerness to correct her mistake, Helen volunteered. Placing her finger where the heart must be, she started pumping its chest. “Ah... Ahh... Ahh... Ahh... Staying. Alive. Staying. Alive.” It wasn’t working; the duck lay on the grass as lifeless as ever.

“Maybe we should call the police,” Helen suggested. This time, Janette’s laugh was not pleasant. “Don’t be so stupid, we’d all get arrested for wasting police time, maybe there’s a vet. Does anyone know the number?” I shook my head. I didn’t even have any pets. Everyone else shook their head too. Janette thought for a moment. “We could call the police and ask them if they’ve got the number for the vets. We wouldn’t be wasting police time then, would we?” No-one dared to contradict her. She was the leader of the group but I knew it was a waste of time.

I scooped the duck into my arms and took it to the edge of the lake. I placed it gently in the water, hoping that being back in the water would bring it back to its senses. To my horror, it sunk to the bottom. The rest of the group looked aghast as it vanished out of sight. “You just murdered that poor, defenceless animal! We don’t want you jogging with us anymore.” They all turned away from me and continued jogging as if nothing had happened. I was free.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:07:58 AM by 510bhan »

Offline 510bhan

Re: Sticky: Voting Flash Fiction #92
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 05:14:55 PM »
Voting closes tomorrow. ;)

Offline 510bhan

Re: Winner: Voting Flash Fiction #92
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:08:21 AM »
Congratulations Inseriousity. ;)

Offline Laura H

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 11:01:06 AM »
Congratulations  :D
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Inseriousity.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 11:25:25 AM »
Thanks to everyone who voted for my story :)

JewelAS53

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 11:34:54 AM »
Well done, inseriousity.

Offline bri h

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 12:27:41 PM »
Two very good stories. Both very engaging. It was very difficult for me to choose one. But in the end, it wasn't.  ;D
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline Mrs N

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 07:17:58 PM »
Congrats, Inseriousity, got my vote. ;)

Offline Inseriousity.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »
Thanks Mrs N, I did wonder if the depressing ending would put people off lol
You can all enter the new flash fiction contest here:

http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=55499.0

:D