Author Topic: A sleuthing question I need help with  (Read 5711 times)

Offline G. London

• View Profile
Re: A sleuthing question I need help with
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 11:44:24 AM »
Do you have a family lawyer that's been in practice for a long time? Most people do. If so, call that person and ask how this situation would be handled.

The research for my thriller is ongoing, including interviewing Scotland Yard to insure I get things right. If a question arises I call/e-mail my assigned contact.

If it's important and you really believe your book can sell (If that is indeed what you're after) then it's worth the effort.

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • View Profile
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 12:45:29 PM »
Do you have a family lawyer that's been in practice for a long time? Most people do. If so, call that person and ask how this situation would be handled.

The research for my thriller is ongoing, including interviewing Scotland Yard to insure I get things right. If a question arises I call/e-mail my assigned contact.

If it's important and you really believe your book can sell (If that is indeed what you're after) then it's worth the effort.

You made me grin with that statement G. In my family there has been those who chose Medicine in one position or another.  ;D
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »
I'm still concerned about the power of attorney thing. Grans bank would be sending out statements to the executor surely.  :-\ Even if they aren't the home will want payment.

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 09:35:12 PM »
I'm still concerned about the power of attorney thing. Grans bank would be sending out statements to the executor surely.   :-\ Even if they aren't the home will want payment.

If Granny was declared incapable of handling her own affairs, the court-appointed executor would have de facto power of attorney and be responsible for reporting all of his actions on Granny's behalf to the court for oversight.

If this takes place in the U.S., the court would likely put Granny in a state institution funded by taxpayers until the executor locates her family and new living arrangements can be found. In any event, Granny is unlikely to be billed for involuntary institutionalization.

Don -
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline karmazon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 01:21:14 AM »
What you are looking for is a process called "skip tracing". I used to work as a process server and that's how lawyers find people.