Author Topic: Ma steps in via 510bhan  (Read 1412 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Ma steps in via 510bhan
« on: October 11, 2014, 06:56:24 AM »
Ma posted an interesting article in Poetry. Having read the link I also discovered this on the page -- for authors. ;) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29458847

Top 10 tips for being a best-selling author

Offline heidi52

Re: Ma steps in via 510bhan
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 07:07:02 AM »
Another good one. Funny how both the Poet and the Author had the same advice for times when you are stuck:

Go for a walk!

Good advice. Thankfully I have dogs who agree and see that I get that everyday even when I'm not particularly stuck. :D

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 07:08:02 AM »
Yep - a walk or a drive, [for me anyway] gets you going every time. ;D

Artemis Quark

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 07:17:33 AM »
Good advice. Thanks for posting, Sio. I especially like number 6. Cheers. AQ

6. Just get to the end

It's the hardest thing and it's the most important thing because so many of us have ideas for books. The first stage is actually write it instead of just talking about it, and the next stage is to keep going until you get to the end.

Everybody, no matter who they are gets to the middle of a book and thinks crikey, I've had enough of this. You get bored with your story and your characters, you hate them all, you can't think why you started this wretched story in the first place.

The truth is, every book is hard to write, everybody reaches a wall, whether it is a plot hole or a scene that you can't get past. So you've just got to get to the end. Even if it's not the greatest draft, if it needs rewriting fine, at least you have a book to rewrite.

Offline Soul Writes

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »
This is excellent also.

Walking is recommended by both. For a long time I've taken a lunchtime walk for a bit of me-time in between work. The difference now is I carry a notebook, and find myself frequently stopping to capture some fleeting notion or other :).
Writing forces you to grasp at what is just out of reach
If you’re lucky you catch it; if not then maybe a glimpse