Author Topic: A Hawk  (Read 5079 times)

Offline Tom 10

Re: A Hawk
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »
You see? Optimists will think it got away.

Cool - I'm as down as the next person with some delusional thinking. 8) 8)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 12:29:05 PM »
For those sympathising with the wee furry thing hawks don't score 100%.

Tom,

I saw him sat there, nothing moving but his head as he systematically scrutinised the quarters of the field.  I often used to watch them the early morning in Cornwall, often perched on a gatepost  Quite often I wouldn't even see them until the head moved.  Otherwise they blend in like the deadly stillness of a sniper in his ghillie suit.

What always fascinated me was the almost-silent, almost-lazy departure from the perching place, accelerating into full-on pursuit within just two or three wingbeats, skimming low across the field.  Very different from a falcon's stoop from on high, but just as impressive when you see the whole event.

Thanks for triggering some very clear memories.

Gyppo  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:32:00 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 12:38:37 PM »
Hi Gyppo-
It sounds like Cornwall hawks are just like those in this area. 8)
Certainly makes me glad I'm not a furry thing. 8)

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
" s1 is crying out for a little taste of something too" - that's what the hawk is on the lookout for - does that count?? ::)

Not quite - but I guess hawks hunt by sight (and hearing?) rather than smell, so you're probably spot on :)
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
Certainly makes me glad I'm not a furry thing. 8)

But you are a furry thing. It's just that most of your fur is vellus rather than terminal :)
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 12:50:59 PM »
But you are a furry thing. It's just that most of your fur is vellus rather than terminal :)

Ooh, more words, concepts, info -- I love this site. 8) 8)  Vellus, hm.

So does this do S.1 any favors:

divides the fields to quadrants
and surveys each from the hulk
of a cottonwood trunk, seeking out
the pirouetting aromas of the
predator bird equivalent
of chile-cheese waffle-fries with
extra jalapeņos.  And perhaps
a cheap micro-brew
with little bubbles popping like
eyeballs of furry things when squeezed.

;D ;D ;D

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 12:52:30 PM »
Perfect. You nailed it in one :)

;D ;D ;D

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 12:53:17 PM »
Watching them quarter is a great pasttime -- I used to spend my lunchtimes in the church graveyard [close to the school . . . and I could smoke there in my parked car] mesmerised by them going over the nearby fields in pursuit of furry things. ;D

You've captured this bird remarkably well -- good job, Tom. ;)

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »
Ooh, more words, concepts, info -- I love this site. 8) 8)  Vellus, hm.

Another factoid for you: humans have just as much hair as other apes (eg chimps, gorillas, etc). It's just, as we've said, on humans most of it is vellus. But it is there, just the same.