Author Topic: Prize Flash Fiction Contest  (Read 18865 times)

Offline Soul Writes

Re: Sticky: Prize Flash Fiction Contest
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2014, 05:30:09 PM »
Looks like Open Office counts opening inverted commas as an extra word.  Wordcountertool.com returns 100.

As the word count requirement is precise, maybe some means needed ensure to people who have adhered to the word count with the tools they have available, don't get unfairly penalised if it differs from what the judges' toolset indicates? (Long complex sentence, sorry). Or can we assume everyone has access to MS Word? (I'm guessing folks using Open Office very possibly won't).
Writing forces you to grasp at what is just out of reach
If you’re lucky you catch it; if not then maybe a glimpse

Offline Soul Writes

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2014, 05:34:21 PM »
Another question re the beginning/middle/end requirement.

Does this mean the story must be all neatly and comfortably packaged as a happy-ever-after story? Or is it still OK to leave a question hanging for the reader to ponder, provided the question is not so much a loose end, but rather a means to highlight some point of the story?

Offline Inseriousity.

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2014, 05:57:17 PM »
I entered, was really hard sticking to 100 words haha

Offline Laura H

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 07:00:21 PM »
Soul Writes - if need be, the top stories will have word count checked manually ( 1, 2, 3  :P), and as far as beginning, middle end- we just want you to tell a story in 100 words. Easy peasy, right?

Nope.

As Inseriosity said, that 's the tough part. Exactly 100 words, and tell us a tale. Yes, you can leave the end hanging. Plenty of full length novels do. But we should feel like we had a mini-journey at the end of those 100 words.

Tell us a story  ;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 09:14:13 AM by Laura H »
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Soul Writes

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2014, 05:46:45 AM »
But we should feel like we had a mini-journey at the end of those 100 words.

Got it  :)

Offline belton1a

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2014, 07:59:34 PM »
Hello!  I am seeing and reading all about the new Flash Fiction contest, but where do you enter it?  I can find no link.  Is it just a post to the forum??  Thanks...a rookie mystery to submit a short fiction...nice mix.

Offline Laura H

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2014, 08:05:04 PM »
belton1a,

All entries should be sent to me via personal message. To send me your submissions, click on my name. You'll see it to the left of my post, just under my bat girl photo. My profile will pop up, and if you'll just scroll down, you'll see the option to "send this member a personal message". Click that option, and copy and paste your entry into the body of the email and indicate "Flash Fiction Contest" in the subject line.

Be sure to include a title. Your story itself should be exactly 100 words.

Once received, I forward all entries to our judges for consideration.

Do not post entries on the boards as this automatically disqualifies your piece.  :o

Hope this helps  ;)
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

Offline Laura H

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 05:53:49 PM »
Prize Flash Fiction Contest

We’ve decided it’s high time to hold another prize flash fiction contest here on myWritersCircle.

To enter, you have to submit a story of exactly 100 words, including three specified words - jade, conduit, effervescent. In addition, you should give your story a title of up to 15 words. The words in the title will not count towards the 100 words in the story. A maximum of two stories may be submitted per author.

The winners will be chosen by novelist, illustrator and long-time MWC member Patrick Fox (best known on the forum as Foxy). I have included a short biography of Patrick (in his own words) below...

"I was born and brought up in Coventry in England. I now live in south Wales with my wife. Our children have both grown up and flown the nest, but they still continue to make us proud. I worked in the computer games industry for over twenty years as an artist and games designer. My debut novel draws on my experience of the industry. I now work as a graphic artist/illustrator, and some of my work can been seen on the covers of various books available on Amazon. In my spare time, I'm a keen amateur detective, and can often be found searching for clues in the local bars and pubs."

You can read Patrick’s blog here, and see samples of his artwork here. Here is a universal link to his novel Trinity on Amazon.

Patrick will select the winners from a shortlist selected by MWC moderators Mairi (Ma100), Dawn, and Jeanette (Distant Sun). The closing date to enter is Friday 10 October at 10 am EDT / 3 pm BST.

The contest is free to enter, and the first-prize winner will receive a copy of the CD-based course Write Any Book in Under 28 Days, also known as the Nick Daws Course. The second prize will be a copy of the downloadable course Blogging for Writers, while the third prize winner will receive a copy of Essential English for Authors. All shortlisted authors will receive a $10 discount voucher that can used against the price of any WCCL course or product. We are grateful to our forum sponsors (and owners) The WCCL Network for donating the prizes.

The judges will be looking for a complete story with a beginning, middle and an end, which follows all the contest rules. It should incorporate the three words mentioned above in as natural a way as possible. The three words should not stand out from the rest of the story. Please do not capitalize them or do anything else to draw attention to them, therefore.

How To Enter - Please Read Carefully!

Submit your entry by PM (Personal Message) to moderator Laura H, who will forward all entries anonymously to the short-listing judges. You can send Laura a PM by clicking here to go to her profile page and clicking on the link 'Send this member a personal message' near the bottom.

Use the subject line Prize Flash Fiction Contest and please avoid including your name or any other identifying information in your entry. You will, of course, need to be a registered member of the forum and logged in to be able to enter. It is very easy (and free) to join if you haven't already. Just click on Register near the top of the forum homepage and follow the on-screen instructions.

Please do NOT post your story as a reply here. If you do this, it will have to be disqualified as we will not be able to judge it anonymously. On the other hand, if you have any queries, please post them as replies below, and either I or another moderator will do our best to answer them. It is best not to send queries by PM, as there may be a delay in getting them answered.

We will post the results of the contest here as soon as possible once it has been judged. The winning entries will be posted on the forum and on my blog and also possibly in Trent Steele's writing newsletter (which is sent by email to MWC members by our sponsors). It is a condition of entering that you accept this. All contestants will (of course) retain copyright in their stories.

Good luck, and have fun!

Nick  :D

Just reminding everyone to read Nick's original post with the rules for the contest. We've had a great response, and some fantastic entries. Keep them coming  :)

Offline Soul Writes

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2014, 04:17:34 PM »
Am I right in thinking it doesn't matter if any of the three words appear more than once? That's how I interpret the rules, but it could be slightly ambiguous.

Offline lan

• Ook.
    • Author page
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 04:56:49 PM »
That's the way I intepreted it too, although there's only so much room for repetition in 100 words.

http://45thnail.com
http://ianlahey.wixsite.com/author
"Words is just words without the place."
Sgt. James Savorski

Offline Soul Writes

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2014, 05:13:27 PM »
Amazingly, I need to!

Offline Inseriousity.

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2014, 05:46:43 PM »
I struggled to fit them in once haha, so much editing. now you're just showing off :P

Offline Soul Writes

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2014, 06:05:36 PM »
There were a couple of times I got down to 99! The sheer luxury of being able to reinstate a word I'd ruthlessly cut  :o ;D

My first stab was 190, which brought me up a bit sharp. But it really does show how much you can cut and still have a story.

Offline KarenKeen

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »
Oh my word!! 100 words!! Sounds easy enough but it's near impossible! I guess I waffle too much! lol good luck everyone!

Offline Laura H

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2014, 06:34:44 PM »
Am I right in thinking it doesn't matter if any of the three words appear more than once? That's how I interpret the rules, but it could be slightly ambiguous.

There is no rule against repetition of the required words.

And exact word counts are difficult, aren't they? They make you realize the importance of every single word you choose.