Author Topic: What do you read? And why?  (Read 12321 times)

Offline Mrs N

Re: What do you read? And why?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 03:00:00 AM »
I really am shy.  ;D

Okay, what have you done with Wolfe? ;D

Offline Mrs N

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 03:08:58 AM »
In order to place a romantic scene into a crime novel, it helps to be able to know how. This included erotica  ;D of which what I thought I knew, turned out not to be. Lesson learnt. ;)

:D :D Now doesn't that conjure up an image! :D
I did a joint writing venture with a group, and we all had to write a sex scene. It was hilarious, and not in a good way! Certainly wouldn't have sold anywhere. Just shows, not as easy to write as some would suppose. Big respect to those that can.

hillwalker3000

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 11:50:13 AM »
I totally agree with you regarding Dan Brown. Hasn't James Patterson a team of writers working with/for him? Rather defeats the title 'author'.

JP runs a turkey factory. He thinks of an idea - gets a ghost writer to do the hard part - then he attaches his name to the finished article. That's enough to get mega sales.

I was recently given a book of his to read and didn't get beyond the first sentence of Ch1 (that's after I skimmed the ludicrously badly-written 'Prologue'. Check out 'Reckless' by Andrew Gross (you get a free preview when you look for the Kindle edition). If he posted that opening sentence on here he'd be torn to shreds and rightly so.

H3K

Wolfe

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »
Just goes to show you, a name can get away with a lot more mess.

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 12:30:53 PM »
Just goes to show you, a name can get away with a lot more mess.

Why don't readers punish it by walking away?
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 12:58:32 PM »
That is the big question.  I guess that sometimes they just don't know any better.

As writers ourselves we tend to set the bar a lot higher than someone who just wants something to occupy a train or plane journey.  There's a reason why so called airport books are so big and bulky.  Undemanding page-turners.

Who remembers a mighty volume called Sarum from many years ago?  I couldn't bring myself to finish it.  Yet I thoroughly enjoyed a very secondhand and equally lengthy book called The Forest by the same author, Edward Rutherfurd.  Maybe because I knew the setting and I could picture the places, even though he was describing how they were hundreds of years ago.  Things don't change that much in the New Forest,  Correction, the people haven't changed that much.

Maybe that's why some readers take to less than stellar books, because they know the setting and can merge it into the book as they read.  And if they aren't driven to apoplexy by a misplaced apostrophe - because they don't know any differently - they'll be happy little bunnies.

As Wolfe often says, 'a good story trumps everything'.  There may be the occasional story which even triumphs over being attributed to James Patterson, but I wouldn't want to wade through them all to find it ;-)

Gyppo  
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

hillwalker3000

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 01:15:39 PM »
Why don't readers punish it by walking away?

Some are happy to eat junk food. Some are happy to read junk writing. JP's clever enough to know there's a market for the latter.

H3K

Offline TheOrlandoGray

• I don't know what to put here. #Notawriter
    • The Orlando Gray
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2014, 05:11:46 PM »
I tend to avoid romance because a if I ever go looking to read a book I definitely isn't going to be that. I get attached to the characters too quick and no matter how much I hate the book I'm stuck with it into the end(Probably why I don't read a lot). But this is not answering the question is it.

Well even though I am a young crazy man soon to head off to college for business(I want to be a writer but I'm going to college for the wrong subject, don't judge me!) Well as young as I may be I am having a midlife crisis, meaning I have a serious problem. I like to read children picture books for the fun of it or read comic books just because I can. No Marvel though I'm not to fond of them, strictly DC. I am stuck in the kids zone with my reading because the "Mature" books always has my head shaking. If I do read a mature book it better be a true story because I might have some sympathy for the story. Really I like to read things that will lift my spirit or break it down. I like human and drama. Murder is one of my most favorite subject but every time I get to laughing at it. That's another reason it has to be real, because that's when the laughing stops and I got to be serious.

When my mind isn't in the kid zone or on a blood lust mode I read more serious material. Stuff that teaches me. Like leadership, psychology, math, writing, modern affairs, etc. I do enjoy reading religious books, but most of them is garbage. All Catholic books can be tossed aside. Really the only place to find a good religious book is in a good church. I'm a Seventh Day Adventist and the church I go to doesn't just have Ellen G White to show me. They also be giving me Frank B. Phillips, A. Jan Marcussen, Shelley Quinn, Danny Shelton, and much more. Right now I'm reading something not religious, more political. I'm reading "No Place To Hide" by Glenn Greenwald. But I've been reading that for like a month now because reading is boring, creating a story is much more fun.
Orlando Gray
@TheOrlandoGray
http://www.theorlandogray.com

Every day is a good day because every day I have a chance to capitalize on yesterday.

Offline Mrs N

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2014, 10:34:17 AM »
Hey, TheOrlandoGrey, thanks for your comments and input.  :)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2014, 10:37:11 AM »
All Catholic books can be tossed aside. ::) Bit of a sweeping statement. :o

hillwalker3000

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »
. . . reading is boring, creating a story is much more fun.

But if reading is so boring I presume there is going to be no audience for whatever you write. Strange confession for a wannabe writer!

H3K

Offline TheOrlandoGray

• The Orlando Gray
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2014, 11:47:08 AM »
All Catholic books can be tossed aside. ::) Bit of a sweeping statement. :o
Well the Catholics does have their own country. Their influence spreads to many areas of the world. They got more years of preaching and writings than any modern protestant. And they conform, sacrificing doctrines, to gain the appeal of many curious to the Christian faith (If you can call them Christian ::)). Anyone who tried to preach something they didn't want preach they ended being persecuted :-\ (You will always be remembered John Hus).  Well the bible talks about a counterfeiter church who will very nearly deceive the entire world ("For false Christs and false prophets will rise and show signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect." Mark 13:22). Well the Revelation and Daniel studies really get into that but I'm not.:P

To sum this up I just don't trust the Roman Catholic.
Orlando Gray
@TheOrlandoGray

Every day is a good day because every day I have a chance to capitalize on yesterday.

Offline Laura H

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2014, 11:55:56 AM »
Orlandoguy,

We have members from all over the world and with every background you can imagine. Obviously, we have members with various religious backgrounds, including Catholic.

I advise you to avoid statements like the one you've made above which could be interpreted as an attack by Catholic members. Not even sure why you felt a need to go there on a thread about what people like to read.

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2014, 01:24:12 PM »
I like to read Graham Greene. The Power and the Glory was his masterpiece. Breathtaking use of language, setting and metaphor. It's as literary as my reading gets these days.

Normally I read crime/thrillers. Intelligent ones, and classic noir. Why? I have no idea...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:28:44 PM by Annmarie »
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline TheOrlandoGray

• The Orlando Gray
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »
But if reading is so boring I presume there is going to be no audience for whatever you write. Strange confession for a wannabe writer!

H3K
It's one of my charms.
Orlando Gray
@TheOrlandoGray