Author Topic: New to Fiction Writing, Late in Life  (Read 9192 times)

Offline MiggsEye

Re: New to Fiction Writing, Late in Life
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 07:54:26 PM »
Hello Miggs,

I have only been here a month. For decades I've been flirting with the idea of writing fiction and finally, now into the early stages of my seventh, I'm at least doing something tangible about it. I'm hoping Gyppo's right ... he usually is.

Sincere welcome to you.

Thank you Soul Writes. Go for it. I'm brand new to fiction writing and I submitted an entry into the Flash Fiction contest that's up now. It's an anonymous contest, but consider reading them and voting for the one that's the best story.

Cheers, Brendan.

Here's the link to read and vote: http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=54966.0
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try” — Dr. Seuss

Offline Soul Writes

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 05:01:55 PM »
Thank you Soul Writes. Go for it. I'm brand new to fiction writing and I submitted an entry into the Flash Fiction contest that's up now. It's an anonymous contest, but consider reading them and voting for the one that's the best story.

Cheers, Brendan.

Here's the link to read and vote: http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=54966.0

;)
Writing forces you to grasp at what is just out of reach
If you’re lucky you catch it; if not then maybe a glimpse

Offline MiggsEye

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 03:04:12 PM »
Wow. I won! Flash Fiction #90: http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=54966.0

Newbie luck?
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try” — Dr. Seuss

Offline Soul Writes

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 04:24:04 PM »
Newbie luck?

Very much doubt it. Sheer skill.  ;D
Writing forces you to grasp at what is just out of reach
If you’re lucky you catch it; if not then maybe a glimpse

Offline MiggsEye

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 01:08:04 PM »
While I'm not new here, it's been awhile since I've posted actively. So I thought I'd reintroduce myself again and explain why I've been away.

As I noted in my initial introduction, I've been taking care of my Mom for years. My participation here declined over the last months as her health began to decline. She accumulated a whole series of little nuisance conditions and after 94 years she was just tuckered out. We brought her home to hospice care on a Friday a few weeks ago. She died the following Wednesday surrounded by her family and all the people and things she loved.

While I miss her enormously and grief still surrounds me,  I suddenly have more time to write and participate here. So I just wanted to say hello again and hope to see you all on the boards.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:41:50 PM by MiggsEye »

Offline Vogel

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 01:13:23 PM »
Sorry about your mom, Miggs and welcome back.  :)

Offline Catherine F

• I watch the ripples change their size (D. Bowie)
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »
Hi Miggs so sorry to hear about your  mum.  I hope hanging around here will help soothe your grief. Nice to  see you back .
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:06:01 PM by Catherine F »

Offline MiggsEye

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 02:38:07 PM »
Thank you, Vogel and Catherine.

Artemis Quark

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 04:26:36 PM »
Hey, Miggsie. Please accept my deepest condolences. After so many years with someone close, it leaves a hole that seems impossible to fill. Writing will help. Welcome back. I missed your helpful critiques and sense of humor.

AQ

JewelAS53

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 04:35:43 PM »
So sorry, Miggs. I do hope writing and hanging out with us, helps fill some of the gaps.

Offline MiggsEye

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 04:48:28 PM »
Thanks AQ and Jewel. AQ I was working on a crit of your first book/first draft or edition and never got it back to you. My apologies. If you're still interested in it, I'll pass it on now that I have time to finish it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:57:32 AM by MiggsEye »

Artemis Quark

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 09:04:31 PM »
Send me what you've already finished. You don't need to stress over the rest since it's been doing ok on Amazon. I will take a rain check though and send you a draft of the prequel and sequel. Both are stalled at the moment since my wife passed two months ago so it will be a while. Just starting to get back to a writing routine.

Looking forward to seeing you on the boards, Miggsie.

AQ

Offline MiggsEye

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 02:32:32 AM »
Send me what you've already finished. You don't need to stress over the rest since it's been doing ok on Amazon. I will take a rain check though and send you a draft of the prequel and sequel. Both are stalled at the moment since my wife passed two months ago so it will be a while. Just starting to get back to a writing routine.

Looking forward to seeing you on the boards, Miggsie.

AQ

Oh, AQ. Here you are offering me your condolence and you've suffered a great loss yourself. I am so sorry for your loss. Being of one body in marriage, the loss of a spouse is exceptionally deep and one I can only begin to imagine. Please accept my sincere condolences.
--MiggsEye

Offline Laura H

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2016, 07:52:59 AM »
Anyone who has suffered loss will have an inkling what you're going through, Miggs. I'm so sorry.  :-*

I hope you can channel your grief into some writing. It can be remarkably therapeutic.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Artemis Quark

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2016, 08:22:40 AM »
Oh, AQ. Here you are offering me your condolence and you've suffered a great loss yourself. I am so sorry for your loss. Being of one body in marriage, the loss of a spouse is exceptionally deep and one I can only begin to imagine. Please accept my sincere condolences.
--MiggsEye

Thank you, Miggsie. More than a half century together. We first met in junior high school. Leaves a big hole but so many friends, especially here at MWC, are helping me find a path forward.

Laura is right about writing, but I'm sure you know that. So dive in and create.

Warmest regards,
AQ