Author Topic: Freewriting  (Read 1825 times)

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
Freewriting
« on: February 15, 2006, 12:26:45 PM »
Hi,
I have a question regarding Nick´s instruction on freewriting and the use of the artistic part of the brain. Instead of actually writing, using pen and paper, can the same results be achieved by dictating to a voice recorder??? I personally don´t see why not, however would like to hear other opinions.
Many thanks
Tam
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:17:35 PM by Skip Slocum »
I like talking to a brick wall, it's the only thing in the world that never contradicts me - Oscar Wilde

Lin

Re: FREEWRITING
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 12:45:05 PM »
I have to say that sounds a good idea in theory, but in practice I do find it hard to "think" about the story I am writing when I am dictating it.   I find it comes out all gobbledygook and doesnt give me the same freedom I have with my fingers on the keyboard.   Freewriting for me means I can stop and think more whenever I want, then type some more,  but pressing buttons on a recording machine and going back to where I was before I cant "see " the words.   I need to see words.   I love words and not to see them upsets my creativity.  The written word is like an oil painting I think of each word as a colour. If I cant see the colour I lose the feel of the whole picture..

If you thinkyou can get away with this method then do it, but I dont see the benefits when you have to write it anyway. Perhaps you could share your idea further.

Lin

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 01:10:33 PM »
Hi Lin,
Thanks for the V quick reply, and I wholly agree with you. Maybe It´s me then, I was under the impression that to exploit the `freewriting´ concept one had to physically write the words without the use of the mechanical keyboard, hence the voice recorder.

So,  what you´re saying is that I can still achieve the Freewriting by typing as opposed to handwriting??

Thanks
Tam
I like talking to a brick wall, it's the only thing in the world that never contradicts me - Oscar Wilde

Offline chillies

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 01:30:24 PM »
Hi Matelot, chillies here. Just came across your discussion and thought I'd throw my twopenny worth in. In my opinion, if your'e going to use your computer to freewrite, it would be better to switch off your spellchecker, or use a program without a spellchecker. I find that my freewriting gets disturbed as the computer's spellchecker throws up red and green squiggly lines, which makes me want to fix my screen with a hammer.

When I freewrite, I do it with pencil and paper, it's the only way I can do it. Remeber it is only a rough first draft, intended to get out all those ideas.

As for using a voice recorder, I tried it once and for me it did work. The only problem is I can't stand the way I sound on one of those things and hence cannot do any serious work with one.

Offline orchid15

• Leona's Happy place
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 02:00:23 PM »
Because my disability.  I do a lot of work on my computer with voice recognition software after four months.  I finally have gone to the point where it gets most of my words right.  Punctuation is another matter entirely.  And sometimes while  dictating a letter.  The computer misinterprets my phrases and changes Web sites on me for no reason.

All attempts to dictate stories have been total disasters.  I say one thing, and immediately think of a better way to phrase it.  If I were typing.  I wouldn't have time to type the first choice, but would immediately type the second and better choice.  Once the words are out of my mouth.  I have no choice but to let the computer type it.  When you add the need to correct the words the computer gets wrong, there is no smooth flow of writing.  So I use the software for e-mail, and to dictate journals and save my wrists for creative pursuits like writing stories.

Orchid15
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't havto get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon." Robert Cormier

website: www.leonashappyplace.com    newsletter:Leonas BrainCandy

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 12:48:03 PM »
Thanks guys, I guess at my stage in the game it´s all a matter of trial and error, until I find what´s right and what´s not...for me.

Tam