Author Topic: same storyline wording...{freefall}  (Read 2583 times)

Offline bowmore2

same storyline wording...{freefall}
« on: August 12, 2014, 05:24:54 PM »
Hi guys, and ballish in particular, Just read your flash fiction and noticed the heading...freefall.

Among my writings from a few years back i did a short story called freefall, my version is about two window cleaners
working from a platform, and the tragedy that ensues.

Anyway i just wondered if there would be infringement on my part,would really like some guidance on this.

Wolfe

Re: same storyline wording...{freefall}
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »
There's no infringement.

Similar stories with events and titles happen. Often at awkward moments. I'll give you an example. The first Simpsons movie showed an event where the town, Springfield, became enclosed under a glass dome.

Sure enough, King wrote a novel with the exact same idea, he says it's coincidence and makes light of it in more than a few writers' conferences, around that time. This novel's titled, Under the Dome. Later, CBS developed it into an ongoing television series.

Again, no infringement.  :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:49:06 PM by Wolfe »

Offline bailish

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 12:50:14 AM »
Just to clear up any infringement issues, my motivation was a Lucille Ball episode where she was standing on a girder in a flowing dress.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'll play one in this forum.  :D

In order to violate copyright, there must be significant portions that are similar, and this usually means they have the same words or expressions. The idea is not copyrightable. So I could write about a teenage girl falling in love with a vampire with sparkly skin, but as long as my use of language is unique, there is no infringement.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »

So I could write about a teenage girl falling in love with a vampire with sparkly skin...

Please don't ;-)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Skylan

• -
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:10:53 PM »
What Gyppo said.

Offline bailish

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 09:44:10 PM »
I didn't say I would. I see maybe twenty new books a day, and about a third of them include vampires. I only wish everybody else was as tired of them as I am.