Author Topic: Greetings from Patagonia  (Read 1841 times)

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
Greetings from Patagonia
« on: February 14, 2006, 02:57:07 PM »
Hi all,
My name is Tam (scottish for Tom), and have recently finished reading through my recently aquired Nick Daws course. Not sure if it´s me looking for it or it´s the gentleman´s form of writing, but it somehow allows you to feel kind of like a personal student and friend.

So who am I and what would I have to write about? I am 41 years old, left parental home at 14 and joined her Majesty´s finest Royal Navy at 16. After the Falklands war, the Gulf war, Kosovo, Former Yugoslavia and 3 failed marriages, I now find myself retired in Chilean Patagonia. I have lived in Scotland, England, Gibraltar, Italy and the Falkland Islands and visited a large part of the world. 

I have lived here, in Puerto Natales, since April 2004 and am STILL trying to remodel and make good a 72 yr old wood & tin house! Recently I joined the growing tourist industry providing small group excursions in and around Patagonia, together with a luxury transfer service. My aim here is to show that Patagonia has more to offer than just the TORRES DEL PAINE national park. Later on in the year I am looking at teaming up with some friends in an attempt to open a Tourist and Travel agency....fingers crossed.

Very recently I was put on trial by a local newspaper (in English), as their cartoon illustrator and now I want more...for this I sought direction from the literacy world of Mr Nick Daws. Why? Well I imagine I am like many of you guys out there.....how many people have told you "you should write a book?"

So here I am and I look forward to picking your brains in the VERY near future. I´m afraid that all I can offer at the moment is information on Patagonia (Chilen & Argentinean), so please don´t hesitate to contact me...excpet, of course, if you´re thinking of writing a complete travel guide to Patagonia....this is mine! ;)

Tam

I like talking to a brick wall, it's the only thing in the world that never contradicts me - Oscar Wilde

Offline Mark with a k

Re: Greetings from Patagonia
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 05:27:35 PM »
The Hitchhiker's Guide to Patagonia - Mostly Windy.

A personal welcome, Tam. It rather looks as though you have only to draw upon personal experience to get an interesting novel off your chest and on the shelves. We've a couple of things in common, sort of. My old man was in the Senior Service so my childhood was spent being dragged from one exotic location to the next. I left school at an early age too. I've travelled the world and left a couple of wives in my wake as well. I've never fought in a war though. I was once asked if I wanted to make some easy money as a mercenary in Angola, I said no because I'd have missed Coronation Street.

Here's a thought. If you were to take a look at the current crop of we-tried-to-bury-our-bones-in-a-strange-country type of books, the shelves are loaded with French, Greek, Spanish experiences. I don't personally recall having ever seen Patagonia represented. Anyone? You could even consider having a tilt at the Beeb or a production company to document your struggle to set up a viable business a long way from the lochs.

You'd better explain your Matelot user name. You're in the company of a lot of Americans and Continental Europeans who may not be familiar with the term.

Welcome again and good luck with your enterprise in Patagonia.

Mark

PS you can get OXO cubes, Bovril  all the other stuff you're going to miss on Ebay these days.

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 12:54:56 PM »
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the welcome, and you`re right regarding my personal experiences, my head is buzzing at the mo´.

As well as the "we-tried-to-bury-our-bones-in-a-strange-country type of books" - good line, there is no real complete guide to Patagonia neither; there are a few pages here and there in various books, but none fully dedicated to the 772 km2 of pure imagination that exists. So that will definately be one of my projects.

With respect to my pen name, here at the forum, it´s actually French for `sailor´, and is pronounced `Matlow´, a well known nickname for British sailors.

Matelots are are a very special breed. . .to our American and European members;
we call the hands at stupid-o´clock in the morning, turn to at O eight double-bubble, have scran at 12 o´clock, eat 4 o´clockers, go for dhoby at secure, maybe play uckers or noms for a bit, get our head down for a while before going on a good run ashore then it´s BEBOBs before getting turned in!
That should clear that up!

Thanks for the tip on E-bay, I have about 2cms left in my last bottle of HP sauce!!!

Thanks again M8e
Tam
I like talking to a brick wall, it's the only thing in the world that never contradicts me - Oscar Wilde

Offline cjmorace

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 03:24:55 PM »
Just wanted to say I found that a delightful exchange....it's bless ya' cher' from down on da bayou here. I dearly love the many flavors of the English tongue. Good luck in your ventures.
CJ