Author Topic: Query For Think Of The Children-an adult coming-of-age debut  (Read 19016 times)

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
Re: Query For Think Of The Children-an adult coming-of-age debut
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »
Take some time away from this and go to a book store.

At the book store, pull a few books from the shelves and read the blur on the back cover. Chances are good that what you see there is the same as the query that helped get them published.

Short and to the point.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »
No, I'm afraid I don't.

It seems as if you are trying to get the character over to the agent, not just the story.

Mine is just relevant facts , not a query.

Wolfe

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2014, 04:04:16 PM »
One taunt from school bully Sammy, and Daniel Hoover, age twelve, says nothing. Heís not the type to retaliate.

One punch during lunchtime and Daniel walks away. Heís not going to risk getting into trouble when heís up for an athletic scholarship to a prep school, when his one wish is to rise above his rural surroundings and make something of himself.

A second punch during practice, and Daniel staggers.

A third punch, and Danielís nose starts to bleed.

Three is too much.

Do it again.

One punch, and Sammy stumbles.

A second punch, and Sammy falls and hits his head on a step.

By the end of the day, Sammy is dead.

This is the story of Daniel Hoover, a latch key kid wrestling champ who struggles to raise his mentally-challenged younger brother and keep the household running. Longing for adult supervision, he tries to fight his familyís staggering poverty and the weight of his single motherís expectations until one fateful day where he reaches his breaking point.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN is a 97,000 word coming-of-age adult debut.

No. Before I disappear (it's time to head back to work), you cannot do this. The query letter shows your style and voice as reflected in the novel. You've copied someone else's work, and their voice and style, into your query. Even if it gets requests, it'll be instant rejection because it reads like someone else wrote your letter.

And they pretty much did.

In other words, it doesn't reflect on you or your work. And, on top of all that, Janet promoted that query letter to everyone in the know. If you have any doubt, any doubt at all in your mind, know that any agent you send this to will recognize it . . . instantly. I'll let you draw your own conclusions how they'll feel about you and your writing after that.

My apologies, but in this business, we expect you to bring something unique to the table. Not take it from someone else. And you're doing yourself a great disservice when you do.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 04:10:41 PM by Wolfe »

Wolfe

« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2014, 02:56:15 PM »
If you're still out there, August, and still struggling, I recommend you read Query by C.J. Redwine.

It's a thin book, but all the words count. Also, it has excellent examples from successful queries and step-by-step instructions on how to do yours.

I strongly recommend this book for anyone entering or in the querying stage of their career.

http://www.amazon.com/QUERY-Everything-Started-Noticed-Signed/dp/1499642733/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402599894&sr=8-1&keywords=query+c.j.+redwine
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:51:39 PM by Wolfe »

Offline augustiner

« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2014, 06:46:54 PM »
Thank you! I'm buying this from Amazon now. Did you find it informative? Are there query models in the book? Best, Augustine

Wolfe

« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2014, 07:52:16 PM »
I found it's the most informative as far as today's standard for query letters. And, yes, C.J. includes the letter that landed her an agent and requests from almost every agent she queried . . . including a certain shark. ;) She talks about this in her book.

Again, it's worth the money.

Best of luck! :)