Author Topic: Critiques  (Read 10599 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Re: Critiques
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2014, 05:54:03 PM »
That's all sounding very reasonable and fair. Good work mods -- thanks, Ma. :)

hillwalker3000

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2014, 06:25:51 PM »
Great stuff - maybe one more suggestion?
That the 'Review My Work' thread be retitled (to somehow include the word 'Prose') to avoid those newbies who plonk their poetry on there by mistake.

H

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2014, 06:38:28 PM »
I think titles are down to they who should be obeyed, but I will raise the question. :-\

JewelAS53

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2014, 01:02:46 AM »
Will there be similar distinction on the poetry boards or is prose the section that attracts the most trouble?

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2014, 02:37:06 AM »
 ;D Actually, overall the poets win hands down for trouble on threads.  ::)

But at the moment it's the prose, so we'll see how well that works.

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2014, 03:19:22 AM »
Sounds like a great outcome. Certainly worth having the discussion again.
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2014, 03:53:06 AM »
Sounds like a great outcome. Certainly worth having the discussion again.

Please no, my stress levels are on overload at the moment. ::)  ;D

Offline bri h

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2014, 05:04:00 AM »
 :D You do good work, ma. xbx
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline La Mouquette

• The Hanging of Margaret Dickson
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2014, 02:21:08 PM »
Hi Abstemious,

The problem is, living in an ivory tower surrounded by well-meaning friends and family who 'love' everything I write I'm never going to know how good or how bad my work is compared to the thousands of other wannabe writers out there chasing the same publishing deal.   

That's it in a nut shell. Succinct, honest critiques are like gold dust. Grow a thick skin, and learn from your peers.
A person without knowledge is like a flower with no scent.

Offline Abstemious

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2014, 10:02:34 AM »
That's it in a nut shell. Succinct, honest critiques are like gold dust. Grow a thick skin, and learn from your peers.

As a novice writer I am more interested if my story has some potential. Would the extract submitted for reviews/comments encourage you to want to know more of the story. Is my basic formatting correct, am I overdoing it in some particular area. How about my characters or the POV.

At the newbie stage, I am not looking or a comment on every jot and tittle.

I am glad that this thread has possibly bought a different thinking of how a newbie can submit and have his/her piece reviewed in the first instance. Obviously, some newbies to MWC will be old hands at writing so will not be affected by any changes made as they can submit their writings directly to the prose setion.

Many thanks to all who sent me encouragement via PMs. All bar one were encouraging and some also gave me pointers in the right direction.

Offline Dribbler Scribbler

• Oh well! It's only a hobby!
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2014, 11:52:53 AM »
As a novice writer I am more interested if my story has some potential. Would the extract submitted for reviews/comments encourage you to want to know more of the story. Is my basic formatting correct, am I overdoing it in some particular area. How about my characters or the POV.

I am glad that this thread has possibly bought a different thinking of how a newbie can submit and have his/her piece reviewed in the first instance. Obviously, some newbies to MWC will be old hands at writing so will not be affected by any changes made as they can submit their writings directly to the prose setion.

Many thanks to all who sent me encouragement via PMs. All bar one were encouraging and some also gave me pointers in the right direction.

There's nothing stopping an individual member from asking for a specific critique. I think that's something everybody has encouraged from the start of this thread and we've had some significant movement from the moderators to accommodate all of the things you originally mentioned. If you don't want every jot and tittle analysed, just mention it when (and if) you post to the newcomer's review section.

Let's see how things work out before we try to change the changes.

Offline La Mouquette

• The Hanging of Margaret Dickson
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2014, 07:55:30 PM »

I think critiques directed at novices should always be positive , encouraging, and polite. But if there are flaws, surely YOU, as a writer would want to know about them, in order to learn. I'd hate to think anyone felt intimidated about posting work, because of more harsh reviewers. So my advice would be, be brave. Feedback can be so helpful to a writer.

Honestly, it's my experience, that if you truly want to be a writer you have to learn to take criticism rather quickly, and sometimes you have to ignore it also.

For example, I once had a lady tell me that my novels opening chapters made her feel so dreadful, it near made her physically sick , "it was that grim I could not read it" she said, and so I took it down from a well known site and nearly scrapped it. Then I began to think, well if it brought out such a strong reaction in her maybe it had potential ???. Just because she didn't like it, didn't necessarily mean others wouldn't. I basically learned that I had to tone things down...a little.

Anyway, good luck, I hope you post something else soon. La M ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:32:28 AM by La Mouquette »
A person without knowledge is like a flower with no scent.