Author Topic: Poetry exercise, anyone? (profanity)  (Read 60782 times)

Offline CorneliusPoe

• Cognitive drift
Re: Poetry exercise, anyone?
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2014, 07:17:38 AM »
Shit... I mean thanks. This game lacks players :(  Lets try something different:

Provide a link to a poem, famous or otherwise. Write a small blurb about it. It can be poem you want to share and explain why it moves you. It can be an iconic piece you want to lambast. You can even do a classical scansion to demonstrate the poets manipulation of form. Your call. Just try to avoid the cliff notes version of a poem we likely all know already. New insights on famous poems are however welcome.

Important: The poem can only be provided with a link and you MUST credit the author.

"Poetry is not speech raised to the level of music, but music brought down to the level of speech." - Paul Valery

Offline lan

• Ook.
    • Author page
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2014, 07:20:27 AM »
I'm not sure I understand: Link to external website or link to one of the many poems in this forum? Both perhaps?
http://45thnail.com
http://ianlahey.wixsite.com/author
"Words is just words without the place."
Sgt. James Savorski

Offline Mark T

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2014, 07:21:17 AM »
Ian, I noticed that wordplay cleverness - just be aware of sacrificing content for form. Looks like the bar's getting raised in this thread.

CP - ah so this is a critting exercise, then.   

Offline Mark T

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2014, 07:23:23 AM »
I'm not sure I understand: Link to external website or link to one of the many poems in this forum? Both perhaps?

Perhaps just from here? Then we can reproduce it without the link, but with consent from the member? CP, maybe you should choose a piece, then the crits will be apples/apples.

Offline CorneliusPoe

• Cognitive drift
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2014, 07:26:28 AM »
Sorry for the lack of clarity. A link to the text of some poem you want to write about. The stipulation is simply to make sure we are in conformance with the rules of the forum. For example:

Frost, Mending Wall: http://writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/88/frost-mending.html

I think this poem is too damn wordy, blah blah blah...
"Poetry is not speech raised to the level of music, but music brought down to the level of speech." - Paul Valery

Offline CorneliusPoe

• Cognitive drift
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2014, 07:28:07 AM »
Me choosing a piece would be too self serving :) I'd just inflict one of my favorites on you and then been heartbroken upon learning none of you share my love :)

Offline Mark T

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2014, 07:39:22 AM »

Well, as the dude running the round there will always be an element of bias. To me, it makes more sense to crit the same poem. And the crits should be Pm'd to you so they don't influence the others and then you post them together. I like your idea BTW, the standard of critting needs uplifting - it's fallen to what Tom calls drive-by comments. Have a look at some of Tom's full crits for example. 

Offline bri h

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »
Dammit. Am at work so cant play. Leave me summat to do. Ha ha. Tonigjt you poeters. B
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline CorneliusPoe

• Cognitive drift
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2014, 07:44:07 AM »
Well, as the dude running the round there will always be an element of bias. To me, it makes more sense to crit the same poem. And the crits should be Pm'd to you so they don't influence the others and then you post them together. I like your idea BTW, the standard of critting needs uplifting - it's fallen to what Tom calls drive-by comments. Have a look at some of Tom's full crits for example. 

Lets put this one on hold for a bit, cause I take your point and want to give it more thought. On the way out the door at the moment. God, I hate having to work. Does someone have maybe 2 or 3 Mil laying around they have no immediate use for?

Offline Mark T

« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2014, 07:46:58 AM »

I have lots of millipedes in my garden. One has a wooden leg and goes 999-clonk when he walks. Later, guys.

cmb

« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2014, 07:51:04 AM »
I have a good MIL. I like her better than her son, so you cannot have her, CP. Sorry.  ;D

Offline CorneliusPoe

• Cognitive drift
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2014, 03:06:44 PM »
Sorry for the delay. I like Mark's idea, but I thought maybe something lighter. Post a link to a poem by an established poet that you admire and write a paragraph or two (max) about why you like it.  Please credit the poet and post only a link, not the text of the poem. 

The idea is two-fold: One, it gives us a chance to share something we like/love with each other and two it lets us express why. I'll judge based one how well you articulate your reasons for appreciating your chosen poem.

Same 24 hour limit as usual.

Offline lan

• Ook.
    • Author page
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »
Here's my entry.

"Because I could not stop for Death" E. Dickinson.
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/177119

I am aware this poem is so famous it has faded from excessive overexposure but I felt I was to share this one because of the profound impression I received from it.  It is the sweetest, gentlest, most humane representation of decease I've ever read. Personified Death is kind.
The most prominent thing in this poem, the one which bowled me over, was that Emily Dickinson lived her last years in voluntary isolation in her own bedroom. Most of her 1775 poems were composed there. Yet they seem to come from the mind of one who has witnessed the world. And this one poem stands out because it is a supreme allegory of life itself. From birth, to old age, to the "swelling in the ground", the grave, and beyond. Locked up in her room, this quiet woman travelled within her inner world and experienced it all, including death, and reported it back in the softest and most exquisite of ways.
http://45thnail.com
http://ianlahey.wixsite.com/author
"Words is just words without the place."
Sgt. James Savorski

Offline bri h

« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »
Hmm? Great idea. I was talking to one of the lads at work, about the Anthology. He kept reciting 'poetic words' at me. I liked what he was saying. I asked him who wrote it? He told me, and I'm now a fan. The link I'm providing is a great piece. It reminds me of my ex (I still love saying that) wife, and how I subsequently felt about her.

WARNING!! this link has swearing and graphic urban language in it!

If any 'over-the-ponders,' need a translation, feel free to ask. The Poet is called John Cooper Clark, and the poem's title? Well, I'll leave you to work it out yourselves. He tells you himself, it's the last word in the piece. Enjoy. Bri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-aVtKEhpO0
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline Mark T

« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2014, 04:20:46 PM »
Very well considered and expressed Ian - you've been hiding your critiquing lamp under a bushel - but I suppose this means i have to go and read the poem to see if you are right?  :)

so where's your review, Bri