Author Topic: Pegasus Elliot and MacKenzie, publishers or gangsters?  (Read 21680 times)

Offline Gerry500

Pegasus Elliot and MacKenzie, publishers or gangsters?
« on: May 02, 2014, 01:20:50 PM »
Well talk about having your hopes raised then dashed, I received a publishers contract from these "people" and they requested money from me 2500 to be exact so while being fairly new to this game, this tells me something is very dodgy here, so I've decided to walk, or should I say sprint, in the opposite direction.  Has anybody had any dealings with this company/bunch of crooks?

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
  • 'Kinky boobs? Really, well I never.'
Time to take it serious and get the job done

Offline Dawn

• Dawn

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
Re: Pegasus Elliot and MacKenzie, publishers or gangsters?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:24:35 PM »
Golden rule, Gerry: unless you're self-publishing, money should always come to you (even if it's only a little bit).

Good call.  ;)
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Gerry500

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 01:25:22 PM »
As I suspected, they're vanity publishers, good job I didn't get involved with them any further, thanks for helping to stop me from making a big mistake.

Offline Gerry500

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »
So the contract they sent me is going through the shredder.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 05:17:11 PM »
You could write 'Bollocks!" across it in red ink and send it back in an unstamped envelope.  They'd have to pay a surcharge to get it, and in the hope of getting their grubby little mitts on 2500 they'd probably pay.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Skylan

• -
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 06:58:51 PM »
How deliciously evil, Gyppo.  ;D

Offline AnonymousAuthor

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 05:00:18 AM »
Hi,

I'm new to the community -- I too have some questions regarding Pegasus and I just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone had signed with them? I'd be interested to know if anyone thought they got their money's worth (or not?)

hillwalker3000

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 06:58:41 AM »
I'm new to the community -- I too have some questions regarding Pegasus and I just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone had signed with them? I'd be interested to know if anyone thought they got their money's worth (or not?)

I don't understand why anyone should pay to have their own work published by a third party when it's relatively simple (and free) to self-publish on CreateSpace. Any publishers demanding money up front (even if they're not scammers) are obviously not prepared to take a risk on publishing (and promoting) a new, unknown writer. If they don't believe in you why should you believe in them?

Simple piece of advice - don't even consider approaching them. The days of vanity publishers are thankfully long gone.

H3K

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 06:26:55 AM »
Definitely gangsters! They use the classic bait and switch, pretending to be a traditional publisher and then asking for thousands of pounds from writers to vanity publish. Their website looks professional and legit, but after hearing about their methods I decided to do some research. So I submitted a sample of my first book to them. I didn't include a synopsis, just a blurb, and I made my cover letter sound as amateur as possible. Of course, they asked to see the full manuscript. So I sent it, and they offered to publish it for me. If I paid 3000.

But they hadn't even read my full manuscript. They offered to publish it without even reading it. How do I know?

I'd used "find and replace" on the middle half of the MS, swapping letters for other letters to make it totally unreadable. And still, the parasites offered to publish it. THEY HADN'T EVEN READ IT.

Now, there's nothing wrong with being a vanity press, but these guys try to pretend that they're legit. They're not. They're cheats and liars and should be ashamed of themselves.
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 07:23:35 AM »
Might be time to name and shame on your blog, Matt.
Brilliant idea to catch them out.

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 07:48:23 AM »
That's what I originally planned to do, Dawn. But then I was worried about giving them the right to reply and ending up with a lawsuit or something! Though the evidence is pretty damning and I do have all the correspondence and emails.
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 08:30:22 AM »

But they hadn't even read my full manuscript. They offered to publish it without even reading it. How do I know?

I'd used "find and replace" on the middle half of the MS, swapping letters for other letters to make it totally unreadable. And still, the parasites offered to publish it. THEY HADN'T EVEN READ IT.

Nice one, Matt ;-)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 10:26:33 AM »
Hmm I can understand your reluctance. Perhaps if you hint at it though? I also think it would be good if they did respond and justified how they can accept something they clearly haven't read.