Author Topic: Developing Voice  (Read 5857 times)

Pale Writer

Re: Developing Voice
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 12:37:22 PM »
When I first came here I was terribly confused [not much change there then]. There were so many terms I did not know but I was keen to learn. It is only recently [okay, slow learner] that it's not 'my' voice which comes through in my stories, but hopefully the voice of my characters. Yes, I may have a preference for style but through experimenting with different genres in short stories I've realised I am not important. It may be me who scribes the words and created the characters and their situations, but they give voice to the story.

I do get annoyed when people say accepting advice leads to writing by numbers or by committee. I believe people need to explore different ways of saying things until they find the 'fit' which suits both their personal style and the voice required to convey the story in the best possible way.

Just saying . . .  ::)

I read this whole thread. Thank you to all who replied.

Such a difficult statement to comment on.. Is the writer important. Is it the story and the characters those who only speak. You are their creator.

I don't believe a writer still in training has their own style. If their writing is still rough, how can it be settled?

Just my thoughts. Opinions are dangerous if not treated right. :)

*You posted just before me, Annmarie.  Great thoughts shared by you.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 12:47:42 PM »
I think writers starting out certainly have a leaning towards a particular style. I know some members who can spot a Siobhan story posted anonymously in a writing challenge, even when I try to disguise it - so there must be something inherent in my writing which has a particular style as I think the 'voice' in the story differs and depends on the subject and how the tale unfolds.

How to Books -- can be helpful but require a certain level of awareness before you can successfully apply many of the recommendations, like you say Pale Writer, it takes time for a style to develop and settle.

Like Annmarie, I plunder free material and though I can appreciate things another writer might do, I often know it's not for me to emulate -- the analysis is why it works or doesn't and then applying that understanding in your own way  :-\

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 12:56:35 PM »
Ah Sio, now we're on definitions. I feel there's Voice -- that unique use of language only you can do. And there are the character voices specific to the story. That these can blend even in wildly different stories is magic. I don't use the word style too much. Style seems like something people aspire to consciously. At the risk of sounding esoteric, I think you don't seek Voice. At some point, it's there. It's second nature, so you don't have to think too much about it.
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 01:00:45 PM »
Once you listen to that tuning fork inside you -- and trust it-- you'll be better able to fight self doubt, the worst enemy to creativity, as Sylvia Plath said.

Annmarie, I bet you can visualise that internal tuning fork.  Hear the tone when it's just right ;-)  And then you'll fight tooth and claw if anyone else suggests otherwise.

I'll admit to a 'caveman' reaction.  The hair on my arms stands on end when something feels just right.  It doesn't happen all that often, but when it does I don't doubt it.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 01:02:16 PM »
Voice/style -- whatever they are -- they are what makes a story even with a given template containing a tight outline for characters, plotlines etc. sound differently when written by different authors.

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
  • 'Kinky boobs? Really, well I never.'
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »
A writer can be given the tools of their trade. Characters, plot etc. But it's how the writer uses this.
As we know no two writers will write the same if they are given the same details/idea. What I would do would be different to say, Sio or Paley. My 'voice' would be different. This why I'm no longer worried about someone pinching ideas. They won't have my voice.
Time to take it serious and get the job done

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 01:19:14 PM »
Very manly reaction, Gyppo. Great when writing is that visceral. ;)

Dawn is right. The story challenges and anthologies show how different we all interpret the same "instructions."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:21:23 PM by Annmarie »
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.