Lillith Fair
3 (18.8%)
The Great Achiever
6 (37.5%)
One Thing at a Time
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: April 17, 2014, 12:41:10 PM

Author Topic: Winner announced: Voting Flash Fiction#82  (Read 4063 times)

Offline heidi52

Re: Winner announced: Voting Flash Fiction#82
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »
Ya know...this is the only site that keeps the contest participants a secret. I really don't get it. Is there some shame in entering a contest? So what if you get last place. You at least entered didn't ya...?  ???

No shame, it's so voters aren't swayed to vote for a piece because they know/like the author. It removes that bias, and we would all have it at least subconsciously. And the win is sweeter. You didn't win because you have a lot of friends, you won because it was the best.  ;D

I think it's a good way to do it.

My gripe is that only 16 people took the time to read and vote. And I have a feeling it's the same core group who do it every contest. Maybe that shouldn't be anonymous and we could shame the ones who don't. j/k  ;D ;D

Offline Neghe

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 07:56:32 PM »

Actually, I mean afterwords.

And yes it is the same core people voting for all of the contests.

“Poetry is what happens when nothing else can.”― Charles Bukowski

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
Nice reads, Folks.

Congratulations, Jewel! You got my vote, though I also enjoyed the other two. Had to read them all a few times before I decided.

Lilith Fair was to be Lilith Fare for a twist but spell check is too thorough sometimes and I didn't detect the change before I submitted.
 Thanks for the twovotes. I was shocked to see any because the other stories were within the context of the contest guidelines set by Sio and evoked joyful emotions.  

A sicko in the back of my mind reminds me that psychopaths have their own, private victories. I learned that by watching my sister, Julie.

~Deb

Edit:

I just looked at the pole. Thanks for the three votes.  :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:31:08 AM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

JewelAS53

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 03:19:05 AM »
On the matter of anonymity.

I think I would be loath to participate at all if my losing entries did not remain anonymous.

I do not win every challenge I enter, :o and I seem to be in the feast or famine bracket  ;D -On occasion I'm a close 2nd,  :D but mostly I'm either the close winner or the resounding loser  ;)

JewelAS53

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 03:19:52 AM »
Thanks, for the vote, DG. Much appreciated.

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 03:48:45 AM »
On the matter of anonymity.

I think I would be loath to participate at all if my losing entries did not remain anonymous.

I do not win every challenge I enter, :o and I seem to be in the feast or famine bracket  ;D -On occasion I'm a close 2nd,  :D but mostly I'm either the close winner or the resounding loser  ;)

It's been awhile since I participated and that's exactly how I felt about the last challenge, which I think I finished last. I used to float in the same boat. We'll see if I can at least get a close second in your challenge or sometime in the near future.

Thanks, for the vote, DG. Much appreciated.

You're welcome, Jewel. It cracked me up.  ;) Plus, it reminded me of my own Granny and how proud she was if any of her kids or grandkids accomplished something above mediocrity where we were awarded in public. She would be bursting at the seams with enthusiasm for our successes.

I plan to embarrass my grandkids with that much adulation too. :P
 Grandparents can get away with it and are usually pardoned, mothers, not so much.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Neghe

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 04:09:36 AM »
mostly I'm either the close winner or the resounding loser  ;)

There can't be a resounding loser if only a few out of a hundred regular posters enter. And especially if only 16 people vote. That is not a large enough number to be indicative of anything.

I ran a poetry group on another writing site that got over 1500 hits and 200 post a day. When we did a contest we sometimes got more than 50 entrees and 300 votes. And without fail the ones that were ahead after the first 20 votes were never the winning poems by the end of the voting. 
“Poetry is what happens when nothing else can.”― Charles Bukowski

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 10:14:46 AM »
Neghe, those who did not win are always welcome to come forward and say which entry was theirs. It's up to them.

Sometimes a member will later post their entry in the review board for feedback.

But it seems many are not interested in attaching their name to a piece that failed to win or at least show up in the top three. It's the author's choice.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 02:40:29 PM »

I ran a poetry group on another writing site that got over 1500 hits and 200 post a day. When we did a contest we sometimes got more than 50 entrees and 300 votes. And without fail the ones that were ahead after the first 20 votes were never the winning poems by the end of the voting.  

Ran? Does it no longer exist or did you lose interest?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:42:24 PM by DGSquared »

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 02:41:57 PM »
There can't be a resounding loser if only a few out of a hundred regular posters enter. And especially if only 16 people vote. That is not a large enough number to be indicative of anything.

Do you have any suggestions on how we might encourage participation here?

Blondesplosion! ~Deb