Author Topic: Your meaning of Liff  (Read 671 times)

Offline Zepphy

• Demon of Saffron
Your meaning of Liff
« on: March 23, 2014, 06:21:37 PM »
I was on the train to Ayrshire today, in a futile effort to escape Glasgow's buzz, and to drown the incessant noise three toddlers can create, I rummaged through my bag to find a book (don't we all have a book in a bag that we've forgotten about).

Afterliff.

The legacy of Douglas Adams's and John Lloyd's The Meaning of Liff and the sequel The Deeper Meaning of Liff.

For those who are unaware of this splendid and humorous idea, here's a quick explanation.

You get a name of a place (be it a village, a town, a city, a region, an island, a country for what's worth it) and you "assign interesting meanings to them; meanings that can be regarded as on the verge of social existence and are ready to become recognisable entities".

The Meaning of Liff

AHENNY (adj.)
The way people stand when examining other people's bookshelves.

BRUMBY (n.)
The fake antique plastic seal on a pretentious whisky bottle.

GLASGOW (n.)
The feeling of infinite sadness engendered when walking through a place filled with happy people fifteen years younger than yourself.

PITSLIGO (n.)
Part of traditional mating rite. During the first hot day of spring, all the men in the tube start giving up their seats to ladies and straphanging. The purpose of pitsligo is for them to demonstrate their manhood by displaying the wet patches under their arms.

What's your meaning of Liff?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:28:32 PM by Zepphy »
Ars longa, vita brevis... so just in case I also bake.