Author Topic: Incomplete Communications.  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Incomplete Communications.
« on: April 10, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »
Incomplete Communications.

Bright little eyes darting around, actively seeking things to watch.  Fascinated by sunbeams dancing in the dust, or moving leaf shadows on the wall.  Chasing the adults, unwilling to miss anything new and colourful.  

Forehead wrinkling like an old lady as she concentrates on something which has held her attention, trying to walk, or when listening to one of Grandad's stories.  Sometimes her eyes suggest she understands more than a child of nine months should, and she's laughing at my attempts to communicate.

A red-faced bawling bundle of hunger, impossible to divert until the biological imperative has been dealt with.  That signal's always clear.  Strength ten.

Sleepy, floppy-limbed, milk-drunk.  One of the few and treasured times she'll happily lay back and be cuddled, instead of wriggling down to the floor to explore her ever-expanding world.

Angry, momentarily livid, wailing with frustration at our adult inability to understand what is bothering her.  We're not the only ones who can't always get through.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:16:57 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
Re: Incomplete Communications.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 04:23:07 PM »
 :D :D

The many changes they go through Gyp. The baby is evolving.  ;)
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 04:33:48 PM »
It's fascinating to watch.  To see her starting to understand some things, linking cause and effect.

Mum makes a clicky noise to attract her attention, probably very similar to the one she used to make to her heavy horse. 

The other day I made the same noise and Alma looked straight at her Grandma, and looked really puzzled when she realised Grandma was doing something else and not 'calling' her.

She's also starting to learn how to ignore people if she doesn't want to communicate, but she half watches from the corner of her eye to see if they've noticed they're being ignored.   I remember her mum doing that when she was little.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 06:10:27 PM »
 :D :D :D

Little Imp. It is a lot of fun watching the changes.
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »
Gyppo, I'm sitting here wondering . . . do I like you Mum stories best or those starring Alma?

Different types of stories but the each have a certain appeal just their own. So, as long as you continue to write them, I'll continue to enjoy each in it's own way.

;D
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 07:03:10 PM »
As a baby she was cute, but now she's becoming a little person with definite traits.  I've seen it before with my two girls, but it's great seeing it again.

Whilst she was ignoring me she had to find something else to do.  There was a rolled up cardigan on the far side of her car seat and she decided to give it all her attention, fiddling with a button and trying to get it through the hole.  Except for the little peeps to see if I realised I was being shunned.

Once she realised I wasn't being fooled she gave up, turned around and gave me a 'high five'.   Along with a sound which could be a "Yo!" Apparently she does this with other babies if the prams are close enough, so perhaps this means I'm an honorary and somewhat oversized toddler.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:15:49 PM by Gyppo »

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 07:42:26 PM »
I hope you are collecting these for all of your lovely girls, Gyppo.

These ever-so-personal stories of yours speak to the universe. A compilation of these anecdotes in a book could be a best seller.  :)

I'm moved to tears remembering my own children and how we marveled at the way they interacted with their world of discovery, cause, and effect. My reactions tend to be over-the-top sometimes to some people but this struck a deep chord.

When I read your initial post, I thought, "Brilliant!"

I was too busy to write these precious moments down when the kids were little.  :(  It's likely the case with most parents these days.

You think the memories will always be with you. They are, but it is so easy to forget the details and articulate them effectively. Those 'little' details and nuances evoke emotion.

You've done your job as a writer here. I think parents would gobble this up.

I foresee a release in the USA corresponding with Mother's Day. A few years down the road. It could be a trilogy to leave your readers hungry for more. I would buy them.

Thanks for sharing. You are a generous writer, Gyppo.  :-*

~Deb

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 08:04:17 PM »
Thankyou.

Gyppo