Author Topic: Going out (Loft Clearance.) A time warping experience.  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Going out (Loft Clearance.) A time warping experience.
« on: March 21, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »
The following stuff which is emerging from my loft may amuse some of you.  Some photos may be added later to this list.

One ancient Amstrad fax machine.

One ancient flat bed scanner.

Both of the above are huge compared to their more modern, although old by computing standards, replacements.

Several burnt out - or very low powered - computer power supplies.  One is for a Tulip computer, which is a mystery to me as I've never owned a Tulip or an Apricot.  (I remember you had to manually 'park' the playback/recording head(s) before shutting down.)  Does anyone remember these?

One 24 pin dot matrix printer.  It seems huge, although nowhere near as tall as my current laser printer.  I remember getting it 'thrown in' as an extra with an Amstrad PCW.  I never took to it because, despite the alleged superiority of the 24 pin my carefully maintained and regularly cleaned 9 pin printer produced better type.

Several anonymous motherboards.  I believe the original plan was to drill a hole in the middle and turn them into geeky wall clocks by adding a cheap movement on the back.

Several strange metal plates, which were either part of a heat sink arrangement or some kind of adaptor kit to fit odd drives into the wrong sized bay.  There used to a lot of strange things around to make the assembly of hybrid computers easier.  Or merely possible.  Now there's USB ;-)

One broken multi-speed swivelling fan.  I was going to mend it, one day.  I have decided that day will never come.  Yes, it has a good little electric motor in there, but...

There will be more to follow...

Gyppo (Risking life and limb on a ladder.)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 03:45:39 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
Re: Going out (Loft Clearance.)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »
Update:

That's it for today. (21st March, 2014.)

I've just added a second Amstrad dot matrix printer, A3 sized to the 'going out' collection.  I didn't realise I had two of them ;-)  The metaphor, 'nearly as big as a damned suitcase' is getting overworked here, but there's also a suitcase with a broken zip, from the days before suitcases became silly and needed wheels and a motor to trundle them around, and the case really isn't all that much bigger than the printer.

Plus sheet feeder for the above.  And a tractor feed for continuous stationery.  Remember that stuff, pleated in boxes, with the feed holes down the side?

Plus a broken set of bathroom scales, which presumably I was going to pull to bits to find out how they worked.

Also a huge sack of clothing, worn out jeans, etc, including my long lost parka. Companion in many an adventure, including running forty miles of The Ridgeway long distance 'walk' over two days.  The textile bank is going to be bulging at the seams.

Even with my 500 watt lamp I don't like being up there too long, and it's very dusty.  Makes me cough like an old man.  I could do with wearing one of those face masks, but a face mask and the general claustrophobic effect would be too much.  So I'm limiting my time up there and gradually getting it done.

I've found a better way to position the ladder so I can get in and out more easily, so the easier escape route makes the whole thing more bearable than a few days ago when I had a few minutes of nearly full-on 'Shit!  I'm trapped' panic.  There was one point where I thought I'd have to call Mum to get the Fire & Rescue lads to help me back down.  Seems silly now, looking back, but at the time it felt all too possible.

But I'm winning.  Slowly.

But now it's time for Pizza.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 09:11:33 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline 2par

Re: Going out (Loft Clearance.) A time warping experience.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 04:09:01 PM »
Keep going, Gyppo. You're giving me encouragement to attack my spare room with it's collection of so many different things. Ohhhh, I don't want to throw out anything...sigh.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 04:47:57 PM »
There's plenty up there which won't get thrown out.  Such as magazines with my articles in them.  I know I could scan the articles and keep them on my computer, with a back-up disc, but that would rob them of their context.  In the magazine they're surrounded by other articles written by people of the same era, and the adverts alone are fascinating.

Somewhere I have magazines from the early days of British hang-gliding.  Back then there were two rival organisations seeking to regulate the new sport.  Eventually they merged and sorted out their differences.  The magazines were more like a newsletter, printed on the cheap.  No internet to spread the word then, no digital cameras to easily take spectacular pictures.  Stuff like this is worth hanging onto if you have the room.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 04:57:03 PM by Gyppo »

Offline 2par

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »
My husband's brother was just moved to Hawaii and had to leave all his magazines behind. But he wants them, so Rod sent them on today. Very expensive to mail, but my bro in law was a famous dog breeder and trainer and those mags have a lot of articles about him. You're right...you have to save them, but put them in plastic so those nasty little book mites don't have a feast.

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 05:21:54 PM »
Plus sheet feeder for the above.  And a tractor feed for continuous stationery.  Remember that stuff, pleated in boxes, with the feed holes down the side?

Gyppo, not only do I remember that stuff, I have most of a full carton of fan-fold paper to use with such a dot metrix printer that was sold many years ago with other office stuff. Can't for the life of me remember why I didn't sell the paper with it.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline 2par

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 05:26:36 PM »
I remember using that paper for shopping lists after getting a new printer

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 05:42:55 PM »
A few days ago I found a nearly full box of 1000 fan fold sticky labels.  But they're still useful, even without a tractor feed.

I can remember hearing a literary agent grumbling about people who sent their novels on fan-fold paper, with the sheets still joined and the tractor strip left on.  "The only good news", he said, "is it's easier to just pick the whole wedge up and put it in a return envelope without bothering to look at it.  If they can't be bothered to separate the sheets why should I?"

I haven't got to it yet, but there's a box up there labelled 'Camping Stuff'.  I thought all of that was in the bottom of our airing cupboard. ;-)

My old upright black and gold long-carriage office  typewriter is up there.  I can't part with that, even though I can't remember what make it is.  Memory suggests Remington or Imperial, but I'd not make a bet on it.  I turned out some work on that old beast - including my first ever novel - before I bought my Brother portable.  The touch on the Brother was so light in comparison to the black beast.  It can stay up there as part of my 'legacy' to the girls when the time comes.  Apart from anything else I'd need a hoist to get it back down ;-)  There's some serious cast iron in that beast.

I might get back up there tomorrow afternoon, but Mum has a morning appointment at the eye unit.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 05:47:48 PM by Gyppo »

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 09:07:33 AM »
Update:  When I looked at them properly the two printers I've unearthed so far are daisy-wheel printers, not dot matrix.  The dotty one must still be hiding up there somewhere.

Some people keep a mad relative in the loft.  I have a dotty printer ;-)

Offline Mark T

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 05:46:16 AM »

Have you taken the time to fully consider the ramifications of your actions with regard to future archaeologists whose parents have not yet been born?

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 07:05:51 AM »
Yes.  I don't want to become part of the collection as a dried up and mummified writer's corpse entombed under the debris of a collapsed ceiling ;-)

To be honest, if it was in a cellar I'd probably just leave it all in peace.

Gyppo

Offline La Mouquette

• The Hanging of Margaret Dickson
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
I've got an ancient word processor in my attic. It would be perfect for a museum  :P

La M  ;)
A person without knowledge is like a flower with no scent.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 09:48:13 AM »
I've got a couple of them, but they're not going out .  Not yet.  Maybe one day, but not yet.  I get rather attached to things I've done serious amounts of work with.  Daft, isn't it?  the peripherals like printers and scanners come and go, but the processor itself is a bit like a 'partner in crime' ;-)

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 10:09:52 AM »
Like you Gyppo, I tend to hang on to certain things. Okay, probably too many things in my case.

But one I've kicked myself for turning loose of was my very first computer, a Kaypro. Bought it brand new and feel in love with the little thing. Used it a lot, filled many of the 5-inch floppy disks.

Later, even after I upgraded to a more modern computer, I still liked and occasionally stroked the keyboard of the Kaypro. Then one of my sons was wanting a computer, so I passed it on down to him.

After he had been using it for a few years, he sold it in a yard sale. The guy that bought it from him lived up the street from me and ever so often I would see him passing the house as he walked to the park. Each time I had to stop myself from going out and asking if I could buy the Kaypro back from him.

Silly, I know. It's just that I learned so much from that little computer and enjoyed the time learning.

Several Kaypros are listed on EBay, but the only one I would want back is mine.

For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, take a look.

Kaypro from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaypro
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »
Heard of them, but never seen one until i looked at the wiki link.

So, did that metal case, containing the monitor, click into place on top of the keyboard like the wooden cover for an old-school sewing machine?  Pretty nifty design for the times.

But I recall that phrase 'luggable' ;-)

Gyppo