Author Topic: Is this the end of an author's life?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline McWawa

Is this the end of an author's life?
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:35:43 AM »
The title of this thread is from an article on the British main stream media publciation "The Guardian" website today ( march 02.2014), entitled:

From bestseller to bust: is this the end of an author's life?  
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/mar/02/bestseller-novel-to-bust-author-life

The discussion is to the present situation for authors,both  established and those wishing to earn a living from writing. I believe that this is relevant to this Forum for obvious reasons , the website here is based upon selling/promoting learning material and courses for writers.  Though the general tone of the article adds to the doom and gloom, generally dreary grey world* which is promoted to us now,  ( and partially i apologise for dumping on you this sunday morning)  the article is worth the read through to the mildly optimistic end.

Though this article is particular to the Uk., how is the situation in the country were you reside ?

Are those members  here who earn a living from their writing taking big cut in income and royalties ?

Are we optimisitic or otherwise, and has the internet had the reverse effect, as referenced in the article, to the once anticipated benefits for writers, specific to authors of novels ?

NB.The reference to the "credit crunch" in the article is a British media term for the pinnacle events of the financial crisis which occured in the year 2008, and continues today.

Edited, * though a side track from the topic, even the photo, of Rupert Thompson, within the article shows a house where both the wooden window frames and brick work have been all been painted the same grey.   I have eyes to see colour.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:55:33 AM by Yelnick McWawa »
"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?",
Axel Oxenstierna

Lin

Re: Is this the end of an author's life?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 08:58:50 AM »
Oh for heaven's sake, anyone who thinks they will make money from writing is obviously up his own orifice.

I do this because I enjoy it. If I happen to write something fantastic, that's the luck of the draw. 

I don't care about the money I do it because I achieved something. For me that's worth far more than money.

Lin

Offline Suemcb

Re: Is this the end of an author's life?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 04:52:28 PM »
Here in NZ it is almost impossible to get published. They will only publish NZ based stories and even then most publishers will only consider work through an agent. Of course agents only accept writers with already published work. Hence most NZ writers send their work overseas.

Recently I made the decision to self-publish after I had put plenty of thought into why I wrote and what I wanted to get from my books. I just want to write, not make money as such, and I just want to share my stories with children. So self - publishing seemed the obvious way to go.
'The Dragon Who Couldn't Breathe Fire',  and 'Lost, in Forbidden Mine.' ebooks on Amazon