Author Topic: Poetic This!  (Read 67543 times)

Offline Tom 10

Re: Poetic This!
« Reply #480 on: November 16, 2015, 12:30:16 PM »
I envy your coursework - it looks like you are exploring the current trends in poetry - even those that explore the boundaries of poetry in a seeming unpoetic way.  Even the unpleasant has the benefit of juicing up the gray-matter, hopefully, no?  The folks you list are certainly experimental.   I get what you say, some of the work is really, really, not what we want of art.   :)  Much like the last poem I posted. 8)

Offline kateD

« Reply #481 on: November 21, 2015, 11:08:03 AM »
"Tell the whole truth. Donít be lazy, donít be afraid. Close the critic out when you are drafting something new. Take chances in the interest of clarity of emotion .... Be a good steward of your gifts. Protect your time. Feed your inner life. Avoid too much noise. Read good books, have good sentences in your ears. Be by yourself as often as you can. Walk. Take the phone off the hook. Work regular hours." -- poet Jane Kenyon

A little weekend inspiration. I think I'll go for a morning walk now. :-)

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #482 on: November 21, 2015, 11:16:54 AM »
Yes!  All of the things that made Bukowski grate. ;D ;D ;D

She was an interesting writer.  Good quote.  Have a good walk.

Offline CorneliusPoe

• Cognitive drift
« Reply #483 on: November 22, 2015, 08:50:56 AM »
Yes!  All of the things that made Bukowski grate. ;D ;D ;D

Not all, but a fair sampling :P
"Poetry is not speech raised to the level of music, but music brought down to the level of speech." - Paul Valery

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #484 on: January 21, 2016, 05:48:15 PM »
Hey, I read the article cited by DP - - http://aldai.ly/1V8SDB3

Really worth reading.  I grew up with the poem noted there, which is lots of fun to recite out loud.  Unfortunately the bulk of my poetry instruction in school was memorization and recitation.  While that just killed by taste for poetry for a decade, there were some residual echoes when the time came. 

:)

Offline Mark T

« Reply #485 on: October 08, 2016, 07:20:38 PM »

Hmph - so things are real quiet on the board - I know you old lags are lurking there maybe - bumping this back up as it's a useful thread. So as a departure point. I'm inviting members to submit the poetry elements that they consider important to their personal poetry toolboxes, roughly in order of importance. Here's mine -

presentation - including visual impact of shape -(easy to get wrong though)
strong opening, a hook, then pace and impact -
provocative content, enough ambiguity for shades of interpretation -
internal but subtle consistency of sound, pace and cadence -
an elevated, jinked ending, sometimes a couplet or other flourish
and.. some kind of buried subtlety no one notices 8)

That's my goal, anyway. 

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #486 on: January 09, 2017, 12:09:18 PM »
While I was recently preparing my comments for an RMP poem posting, I found myself engaged in the common labor of thinking through the process of how a poem works, how it presents itself, and what avenues there be between writer and reader.  I thought of the ratio between what work the writer should do and what work is reasonably expected of the reader (The Ratio of course is critical).  I thought about a writer's obligation to understand and strive to meet reader expectations, and how deft writing can redirect, re-write, or even annihilate those expectations midway, or en route.  

And in this context I thought of Poetry, by Marianne Moore, and her directive to would-be poets to ". . . present / for inspection, imaginary gardens with real toads in them. . . ." [emphasis added].  I have always thought this a majestic piece of writing (and advice).  So I pulled out the poem, re-read it for the umpteenth time, and wrote my comments around it.  I ended up not posting that part of the review, but that's not the point.

The Academy of American Poets operates its website Poetry.org, which selects and circulates a Poem-a-Day.  Its an easy email to sign up for.  The range of poetry is tremendous, and the selections are great.  For anyone wanting to write poetry, it is critical to read poetry, and that's my plug for this wonderful service.

That said, when I logged on yesterday -- surprise!  The Poem of the Day was Poetry, by Marianne Moore.   ;D ;D  

Cosmic threading, so subtle as to make a silkworm's work look like ship's rigging.  

In conformity with MWC's policy against including full poems, here's the link:

http://academyofamericanpoets.cmail19.com/t/ViewEmail/y/285533B7074C70F8/60B30439A3F431472438807772DD75D1

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:15:10 PM by Tom 10 »

Offline Mark T

« Reply #487 on: January 09, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »

That said, when I logged on yesterday -- surprise!  The Poem of the Day was Poetry, by Marianne Moore.    ;D ;D 
Cosmic threading, so subtle as to make a silkworm's work look like ship's rigging.   

Amen, brother. Thanks for your thoughts and the resource.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #488 on: January 10, 2017, 06:11:49 AM »
In what now seems a previous life I used to send out a regular newsletter.  I often ended it with a quote or two, and my own comments.  One week I wrote this.

1:  The poet is a bird of strange moods.  He descends from his lofty domain to tarry amongst us, singing; if we do not honor him he will unfold his wings and fly back to his dwelling place.
        Kahlil, Gabran (Thoughts and Meditations, 1960)

Sure sounds like some of the poets I've known ;-)
        Gyppo, 2002

2:  The courage of the poet is to keep ajar the door that leads into madness.
        Christopher Morley (Inward Ho!, 1923)

There you have it, the poetic way of saying they're all mad.  Perhaps they're not so different from writers after all, damn them; we both stand in the doorway between at least two worlds, knowing both but belonging to neither.
        Gyppo, 2002

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #489 on: January 10, 2017, 09:28:51 AM »
Put me on the mailing list.  ;D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #490 on: January 10, 2017, 10:53:25 AM »
Sadly the newsletter is no more.  Time (the lack of) and technology (too much of) slowly conspired to kill it.  Plus a few years of being quite ill.  But occasionally I find traces of it lurking in the dark corners of my archives.

It was a mixed bag, but one of the regulars was an 'Urban Poet' with the unlikely pseudonym of Evan Chu Ali.  He was allegedly a Welsh/Chinese/Arab mongrel who lived in a cave.  Most of the time I wrote his doggerel, but occasionally there'd be a 'guest Evan' who offered verse 'in the style of'.

We once sent him off to the Balkans to experience life in the war zone.   He thought he'd won a literary prize and travel grant.  He wore a helmet with the message 'War Poet - God Help Me' in about twenty different languages.  After 48 hours of being shot at, mocked, and largely ignored, he was glad to get home to Wales.

I had a lot of fun with him, writing up moments of his life in his style.

Poets, and writers in general, have this ability to slip into another's skin, to see the world through other eyes.   Some find it harder than others to leave themselves at the door, so playing around at it, casually exploring the possibilities without expecting too much or a 100% success rate, is a very useful way of finding out what you can do.  In that respect Evan was a vehicle, roughly treated and neglected at times, but he usually started as soon as a deadline appeared.

Gyppo   

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Mark T

« Reply #491 on: January 10, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »

Fascinating, Gyppo, thanks for sharing. Sometimes I think (real) poets are just cynical dreamers in permanent oscillation.

He wore a helmet with the message 'War Poet - God Help Me' in about twenty different languages. 

Brilliant stuff.

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #492 on: January 10, 2017, 11:49:58 AM »

And more to the point, he had a head for the helmet, as I read the posting.  :)

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #493 on: May 27, 2017, 10:35:05 AM »

Question - background sounds, and whatnot - do you have a particular place where you always write?  What about background music?  Do these things affect your writing?  The tone and timber, the pace and nuances?  I have been thinking about my own case, and wonder about others...

Offline drab

« Reply #494 on: May 28, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »
Always music playing on my laptop as I write.
Usually (but not always) contemporary piano music. And a few beers :)
To live, with gentle but cunning deceit, and accept the consequences, is the destiny of every man.