Author Topic: Can you recommend a good board game?  (Read 2129 times)

Lin

Can you recommend a good board game?
« on: February 13, 2014, 03:13:34 PM »
A few weeks ago things reached a head with Dutch evening winter boredom.  I got this idea to buy a board game so that when the family comes to stay and we have dinner together, we can get out a board game, but I only have Monopoly and Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit.   I wanted to know if anyone here can recommend one for me.

We have no small children, we are all adults over 30 the two offspring of mine and a boyfriend.  So without embarrassing the family - you know how it is; OMG Mum and Dad don't play those sort of games do they?  I felt a good old fashioned board game might be fun.   What do you recommend?

Lin

Offline Vienna

Re: Can you recommend a good board game?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:20:20 PM »
Cluedo!
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline heidi52

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 04:00:20 PM »
UNO

cmb

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 04:05:07 PM »
I personally can't recommend any, seeing that I'm not a board game kind of person, however, I used to like "dammen" (sort of like checkers) with my granddad. My 15-year old loves a good game of chess - but I don't even know the rules. Then there's Stratego, which my husband and daughter seem to enjoy.

Oh, and here's one I actually like: wari. (also called: oware, or mankala)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oware

Offline Blink

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »
My family like board games. The ones that come out again and again when it's just adults are The Great Game of Britain and The Really Nasty Horse Racing Game. The great game of Britain is the best for me, by far. It looks like such an innocuous game. You move your counter around 'Britain', visiting stations and placing the cards you're dealt at the beginning, but then some git changes lines and plays a 'hazard' card which can send you to the other end of the board, or isolate you or, or, all sorts of devious things! There are advantages to be had by developing tactics, alliances and strategy in both of them. The other one I really like is bananagrams which is, again, a lot better than it sounds on paper and has a good friendly level of competition (and is fun to play drunk!). I've played all of them drunk/sober, with friends/family and always had a good night.

Offline Zepphy

• Demon of Saffron
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 04:05:43 PM »
Cards Against Humanity

Sorry, had to mention it. It seems childish, but it can even help if you get writer's block. What's a bit of awkwardness between family members?
Ars longa, vita brevis... so just in case I also bake.

Offline The Skald

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »
It really depends on what kind of board game you want. It's a pretty huge genre when you think about. On one hand, you got games like Ludo (awesome game, btw)), that can be played in less than an hour. On the other hand, there's strategy-games that can take days or weeks to play.

Ludo: http://tinyurl.com/4c96cp
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:49:27 PM by The Skald »

JewelAS53

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 04:42:41 AM »
Not strictly a board game, but I like Rummicub.

Offline ericthehalfabee

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 05:12:53 AM »
We play Monopoly Empire as a family. It's nowhere near as complicated as normal Monopoly. It's played on a Monopoly board but involves stealing companies from each other until you have ten companies, so quite good fun and only lasts about an hour. (Normal Monopoly never seems to end!)

Also there's a very simple game called "Spin and shout" - it's a wheel with the alphabet on and a hundred cards with a subject on each - e.g. Pop band, Name of a river etc and you spin the wheel and the first person to shout out a correct answer with that initial wins the card. I suppose it depends what age group you are aiming at, but our 8 & 11 year old girls love it.

There used to be a great board game called "Scruples" as well but I don't think they make it any more. It asked moral questions about how you would react in certain situations, but there was sometimes a twist.  For example one of the questions was "If you could invent something that will make the lives of billions of people easier but will kill over 200,000 people, would you?" Then when you turned the card over it gave facts abut the invention of the motor car and how many people had died as a result of it's invention.

Lin

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 05:19:23 AM »
I just bought from Amazon the 'Pointless' board game.  I want to purchase a few more so we have a larger choice.  I will review 'Pointless' when we play it. Having games to play in caravan in the summer is good too.

Lin

Offline ericthehalfabee

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 05:35:52 AM »
I love Pointless! Don't forget to say "Very good indeed" when someone gets a low score!  ;D

Offline FillipSmith

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 02:32:49 AM »
Hello there, games are a truly significant piece of my life. I need to play caribbean stud poker online . Is there a choice to reprimand me for somebody like web-based club? You need truly solid stage assets with speedy withdrawals and huge gold mines. In case it is so easy, kindly assistance me.